New/returning to the hobby. Looking for wild west info.

Started by MrEvolution, August 13, 2015, 09:59:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrEvolution

Hello all here at Bachmann.

Having just rediscovered this hobby (I was gifted a Bachmann set when I was 5 and just found it in storage/the local hobby shop is going out of business so I went in to check it out one last time having not been in there for years)

I am looking for where to (re) start - As goofy as a question this will be asking it here, are Bachmann trains still well made? My dad said they were when he bought it (and wiki says they sell the most) but im looking for actual opinions of users.

Ideally I want to stay on HO scale since that is what I have (i think) - have there been any major changes in design/manufacturing since the early 90s when I received my set?

Also, I am a fan of the TV show Hell on Wheels. Does anyone have a good reference for wild west parts or scenery? Id like to make a set similar to what's on the show. That being said, I have no idea how to decide on the engine other than being a Steam engine and Union Pacific 119, or Central Pacific Jupiter if this current season)

Thank you.

richardl

Welcome.

Google is your best reference. You will get many links to keep. Been doing that for years. I have modelled the old west some years ago with stub turnouts.

Bachmann will be releasing those locos but the motor will be in the boiler and have sound. Pricey though. About $350. I think, guess, they will have DCC ready. Check the What's New Link.

You can still find those locos with tender drive but not the best runners and not easy to convert to DCC if you ever go that direction.

All other steamers are post 1900's. The Bachmann 4-4-0 can be back dated a little but not into the 1880's.
Ebay will be a good source for rolling stock. I see a lot of shake the box kits for this era at River City Railroad on ebay. They also sell a lot of Bachmann products. I have bought from them.

If you buy the old tender drive, one fellow here has a lot of info to make them run better, including DCC, non sound. I did a couple along with an old Mantua General.
Trying to prototype the rail for that era will be a real challenge. I use code 100 mostly hand laid. Quite over size.
Don't forget. It will be your railroad. Do what pleases you and have fun like the Bach-Man would say.

Spend some time looking through all the Bachmann site. There is loads of material to look through.

Rich

richardl

There is not much in the way of 1880's locos anymore. Others will comment.
I have links for other brands of 1880's rolling stock but rather not post those brands here.

Google, ho scale rolling stock 1880's. I just did there is stuff out there.

Rich

richardl

Just remembered. Google ho scale old time turntable, structures, etc.

Rich

richardl

Three of my tender drives. Bachmann, General, IHC.

An attempt at back dating. The loco's in the 1880's were not quite like that. Many had no air pumps and those that did, had them on the drivers side, not the fireman's side.

My 1850's Winans Camels.

Little bit more.

Rich

Len

If you decide to convert to DCC operation instead of DC, it is possible to add a decoder to the old tender drive 4-4-0 'American' type locos. Space is tight, but a small "N" or "Z" decoder will fit in the tender. Just make sure it has a 1 - 1.5 amp rating.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

richardl

Quote from: Len on August 13, 2015, 11:42:00 PM
If you decide to convert to DCC operation instead of DC, it is possible to add a decoder to the old tender drive 4-4-0 'American' type locos. Space is tight, but a small "N" or "Z" decoder will fit in the tender. Just make sure it has a 1 - 1.5 amp rating.

Len

The DZ125 decoder would fit. Good for one amp. Not much bigger than a USA dime.
At the time, I used a N scale decoder. German brand I think. That was before the DZ125 cane out. Don't remember the brand but it worked ok.
Rich

MrEvolution

Thanks for the tips everyone. Always open to new help and suggestions  :)

richardl

Suggestio9ns if you go with the old tender drive Bachmann steamers.

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/1879/bachmann_4-4-0/sound/

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/1879/

If you think you can do sound like Harold did, the new SoundTraxx Econami decoder is a little smaller than the Tsunami Micro.

Harold does show up here every so often.

Rich

Bucksco

Production samples of the new DCC/Sound 4-4-0s will be at the NMRA National Convention which means the product will be arriving soon.

brad g

For scenery, don't forget there is a substantial variety of historical wargaming miniatures, scenery and buildings out there.  Though 15mm (1/107) and 20mm (1/80) are very common scales, you may be able to find 18mm (1/87 or HO) as well. 

Woody Elmore

MDC made a line of old time cars - I remember assembling one of their 36 foot boxcar kits. It has a metal underframe and truss rods. I would think the model was circa 1900.  Ye Olde Huff-n-Puff has a few wooden kits that might fit into a early 1900 era railroad. LaBelle is another line with wooden era kits.

Mantua/Tyco made the General - an all die cast metal beast with tender drive. I can't say much about them as I never owned one.

There are things out there.

Trainman203

I have 30 or more of those MDC / roundhouse cars.  They can be 1880s.  You can put Andrews trucks on them and run them up into the 1930s.

richardl

Quote from: Trainman203 on September 06, 2015, 04:52:39 PM
I have 30 or more of those MDC / roundhouse cars.  They can be 1880s.  You can put Andrews trucks on them and run them up into the 1930s.

The shake the box MDC kits are still being sold. I just checked the supplier.

I bought some a few years ago.

Some are Project Cars. Unpainted.

Rich

Trainman203

What supplier?  Especially the kits.  I've cleaned a couple of LHS's out of their remaining stock.

We decal them into obscure southern roads like the New Orleans Great Northern "Ozone Route",  the Western Rwy of Alabama, and the Vicksburg, Shreveport and Pacific.