STORE
"ASK THE BACH MAN"
FORUM
PARTS, SERVICE,
& INFORMATION
CATALOGS AND
BROCHURES

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2019, 09:20:28 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Check out the photo gallery link above or >click here< to see photos of recently announced products!
+  Bachmann Message Board
|-+  Discussion Boards
| |-+  Thomas & Friends
| | |-+  The Everything Thomas Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 86 Print
Author Topic: The Everything Thomas Thread  (Read 367855 times)
TrainMan2001

View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: February 09, 2019, 05:34:00 PM »

Thanks Chaz. That actually looks a little closer than I thought. If I could just get my James apart to thin him out a bit, I might have found a suitable tender.

Bachmann trains are awesome. I hope they come out with Stepney one day.
TrainMan2001

View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: February 09, 2019, 07:24:26 PM »

Alright, now for a comparison between Percy's TV, Prototype, and Final Bachmann models.

Comparing the Bachmann model to the Prototype:
1: The funnel on the prototype has a smooth transition between it and the smokebox.
2: The prototype's bunker has the smooth transition between the gray part and the back of the green part.
3: The prototype has the smaller, more accurate couplings.
4: The prototype also doesn't have the awkward seam lines that the Bachmann models do.

Unfortunately, the cab side windows on both of the models are not tall enough, which results in the coal bunker being oversize. As you can see, on all 3 models have the bottom of the bunker line up with the bottom of the cab windows, and, because the windows on the Bachmann models aren't deep enough, the bunker has been raised, which is made even worse considering how much coal they decided to put into the bunker. The leaf springs on neither model are painted black either, and they are on the TV model. If the face could be fixed to a more accurate model era face, this is the one I would choose:

Now for some questions on all 3 of the models discussed (Thomas, Percy, and James):

1. Would you have been happier with the models if (other than the paintwork, which would have been updated before release) they had been released in the same forms as their prototype models?
2. Are there any alterations you would make to them (besides the face)?

Bachmann trains are awesome. I hope they come out with Stepney one day.
Cheeky_ULP

View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: February 09, 2019, 07:29:38 PM »

I think for me it's less of a "what if they used the prototype designs" and more at this point just wishing they would make a newer version of Thomas, Percy and James' tooling entirely. Of course, while I would much prefer them use the model references, they would use the CGI proportions/references if they made a new Thomas, Percy and James. This would be particularly weird when James is an absolute, out of scale giant in CGI.
Streak

Hello, glad to be here! "Ew Aw Few Few"

View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: February 10, 2019, 02:29:55 AM »

Considering that Bachmann got James's size right in the Large Scale range and that they at least attempted to fix the sizing of Oliver when they made him in HO Scale, I think that if HO Scale James was redesigned to be based of the CGI series, they wouldn't give him the same wonky proportions as he does in the show...

...At least I'd hope they wouldn't.
Toad139

View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: February 10, 2019, 03:07:26 PM »

Considering that Bachmann got James's size right in the Large Scale range and that they at least attempted to fix the sizing of Oliver when they made him in HO Scale, I think that if HO Scale James was redesigned to be based of the CGI series, they wouldn't give him the same wonky proportions as he does in the show...

...At least I'd hope they wouldn't.

The key word there is “attempted”. Yes they tried to fix Oliver, but his proportions are still terrible. It would probably be easier to fix James because his model CG is nowhere near as bad, but who really knows.
Rodimus Supreme

View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: February 10, 2019, 06:06:50 PM »

Fun fact: The Model Series Oliver model used the same exact chassis as Gordon and Henry (a Marklin Gauge 1 BR 78), but with the third drive wheel moved to the second wheel’s place because the second drive wheel’s counterweight was too big to use, kept one of the trailing wheels for Oliver, and then just cut off the rest of the chassis they didn’t need.
Plow Bender

"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid."

View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: February 11, 2019, 10:54:25 PM »

I can honestly say that Bachmann should look into updating Thomas, James, and Percy at some point in time considering their models honestly seem a little out of place compared to the other models Bachmann has done since Gordon and Henry.  Technology and production of the brand have definitely come a long way since 2002, and an updated tooling would help their characters fit in with today's models.  The only issue I personally see with this however is the fact that Bachmann would obviously have to make new tooling's which (based on past announcements and the uprising cost of production) they seem to be trying to cut back on.

The other issue I've seen quite a bit of aside from the recent CGI James proportions topic, is the fact that people don't want the models to be updated with CGI faces.  To be fair, is the transition to CGI faces really that bad when all the other errors on the models is corrected?  If it were me personally, I'd say make the change and everyone can just add their own faces to the models considering Shapeways seems to be the latest and greatest thing nowadays.  Back on James' CGI render though, I can definitely say that if Bachmann made a new model, it would be wise to correct his proportions so he fits in with the other characters.  I know his oversized render is part of what turned me off from his Diapet counterpart.

"We want a proper engine, not a red monster!"

One thing that has become apparent is that Bachmann has been updating the gray bits on the first 3 models, as we've seen with one of the recent product images of Thomas.  This modification is in no way a bad thing, but quite honestly still leaves a lot to be desired.  It was the same way when we got a "so-called" redesigned James, which in turn was nothing more than a small portion of the paint errors corrected.  Still you had some people acting like the redesigned James was the greatest thing since Skarloey was announced, when really it was nothing more than slapping lipstick on a pig.

So in conclusion, I personally wouldn't mind the 3 engines getting an updated tooling, but I feel that the problem is in the question, "new tooling".  I will say that if we do end up seeing a new engine from Bachmann in the future, I could definitely see some updated models of Thomas, James, and Percy having a chance, but at this time I think the range is honestly too iffy to really get an idea what could potentially have a chance.  I'm just glad Large Scale got things right the first time. Grin

-Rusty

Streak

View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: February 12, 2019, 01:35:43 AM »

Speaking of the Diapet Engines, do you think it could be in anyway possible to convert any of those models into HO Scale models (particularly Hiro)? If so, that might be a thing that people who make HO Scale Customs should look into, especially if Diapet starts making more characters that Bachmann hasn't. Now I could be completely off the rocker on this one as I have no idea of the scaling of the Diapet engines (as I don't own any myself) so those models could be totally the wrong scale for potential HO customs. I just think maybe that possibility could be a cool thing to talk about if anyone's interested (unless I'm wrong, then never mind).
Plow Bender

"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid."

View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: February 12, 2019, 01:55:32 AM »

The Diapet models are 1:64 scale (S Gauge) and therefore are a scale bigger than HO/OO.  I'll drop a comparison photo down below for reference.

-Rusty

Streak

View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: February 12, 2019, 02:00:09 AM »

The Diapet models are 1:64 scale (S Gauge) and therefore are a scale bigger than HO/OO.  I'll drop a comparison photo down below for reference.

-Rusty

Oh ok, thank you for clarifying. That's too bad. I was hoping that there could have been a way to make a HO Scale Hiro custom out of the Diapet model but I guess not. Didn't think I was on the right track but I thought I'd suggest it regardless.

I guess though if anyone is into S Guage, maybe you could look into using Diapet engines for S Guage customs. Idk
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 02:02:16 AM by Streak » Logged
thomasj219

Thomas Will Be Coming Down Our Track Forever!!

View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: February 13, 2019, 11:34:32 PM »

Hey guys, been a while. Since announcements are pretty close I figured I’d post my thoughts.

My gut says announcements will be light. But my hopes are always there.  Grin

These are the characters I would like to see. One or more.

HO
BoCo
Stepney
Daisy
Arthur
Murdoch
Harvey

I realize we’ll most likely get a CGI character but a man can dream.

For rolling stock it’s really anything goes now, we knocked out the essintals years ago. But here.

China Clay Truck
Red Express Coaches
The Break Down Train & Works Coach
Vent Vans GWR

Narrow Gauge
Sir Handel
Peter Sam

As for rolling stock in this I would love some more trucks. Waiting to see what coaches look like still.

The Resin line is one I am really hoping makes a comeback. I would honestly be happy with anything from the classic era but here’s a few.

Ffarquhar Station
Narrow Gauge Engine Shed
The Watermill

Large Scale is a mystery to me. But I’d love to see the Red Coaches and Edward.

Fingers crossed boys! Can’t belive I’ve been reading this forum since 2005. We’ve come a long way.

All I want is, Stepney, Boco, Daisy, Harvey.
Rodimus Supreme

View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: February 19, 2019, 12:33:13 AM »

I can honestly say that Bachmann should look into updating Thomas, James, and Percy at some point in time considering their models honestly seem a little out of place compared to the other models Bachmann has done since Gordon and Henry.  Technology and production of the brand have definitely come a long way since 2002, and an updated tooling would help their characters fit in with today's models.  The only issue I personally see with this however is the fact that Bachmann would obviously have to make new tooling's which (based on past announcements and the uprising cost of production) they seem to be trying to cut back on.

The other issue I've seen quite a bit of aside from the recent CGI James proportions topic, is the fact that people don't want the models to be updated with CGI faces.  To be fair, is the transition to CGI faces really that bad when all the other errors on the models is corrected?  If it were me personally, I'd say make the change and everyone can just add their own faces to the models considering Shapeways seems to be the latest and greatest thing nowadays.  Back on James' CGI render though, I can definitely say that if Bachmann made a new model, it would be wise to correct his proportions so he fits in with the other characters.  I know his oversized render is part of what turned me off from his Diapet counterpart.

"We want a proper engine, not a red monster!"

One thing that has become apparent is that Bachmann has been updating the gray bits on the first 3 models, as we've seen with one of the recent product images of Thomas.  This modification is in no way a bad thing, but quite honestly still leaves a lot to be desired.  It was the same way when we got a "so-called" redesigned James, which in turn was nothing more than a small portion of the paint errors corrected.  Still you had some people acting like the redesigned James was the greatest thing since Skarloey was announced, when really it was nothing more than slapping lipstick on a pig.

So in conclusion, I personally wouldn't mind the 3 engines getting an updated tooling, but I feel that the problem is in the question, "new tooling".  I will say that if we do end up seeing a new engine from Bachmann in the future, I could definitely see some updated models of Thomas, James, and Percy having a chance, but at this time I think the range is honestly too iffy to really get an idea what could potentially have a chance.  I'm just glad Large Scale got things right the first time. Grin

-Rusty
This post makes me remember some idea I've had floating around in my head for a while. What if Bachmann just offered all the faces and the loads on their store? Bachmann already has a parts store (albeit, they offer parts for very few of their Thomas and Friends locomotives and none for the rolling stock), but what if they opened an "Accessories" section on the Thomas and Friends section and offered engine and Troublesome Truck faceplates, coal loads, rock loads, pipe loads, scrap loads, steel beam loads, rail loads, log loads, and 2-by-4 loads? Overlooks that'd well pretty well. And the fact Bachmann seems to find it profitable to sell Grumpy Diesel alongside Diesel, that really makes me think that Bachmann really could offer several versions of the same characters at once. With that, Bachmann could potentially sell Model and CGI Series versions of each character at once. Like, They could update the tooling for Thomas, Percy, and James and sell two versions; one being "Classic Thomas", "Classic Percy", and "Classic James"; and another set being the same models; but with CGI faces. This would also allow Bachmann to make a Season 3 accurate Oliver, possibly naming it "Classic Oliver".
TrainshockeylifE

View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: February 19, 2019, 12:13:09 PM »

I contacted Bachmann and they said the catalog should be up by the end of the week.
Falcon the 2nd

View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: February 19, 2019, 10:02:05 PM »

I contacted Bachmann and they said the catalog should be up by the end of the week.

Sounds like a plan. I look forward to seeing the Narrow Gauge coaches and N Scale items if they end up being featured.

Interestingly, this catalog is going up the same week my local train show is taking place! Smiley
Cheeky_ULP

View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: February 26, 2019, 07:02:20 PM »

Had an amusing, weird dream the other night where Bachmann announced they were going to make engines like Stepney, but they weren't going to have motors, similar to Dapols plastic engine kits that aren't motorized.

At first I thought it might have some merit as an idea, but the more I thought on it, the more I feel it'd be unnecessary and still require new toolings anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 86 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: