STORE
"ASK THE BACH MAN"
FORUM
PARTS, SERVICE,
& INFORMATION
CATALOGS AND
BROCHURES

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2019, 05:02:50 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Check out the photo gallery link above or >click here< to see photos of recently announced products!
+  Bachmann Message Board
|-+  Discussion Boards
| |-+  Thomas & Friends
| | |-+  The Everything Thomas Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 Print
Author Topic: The Everything Thomas Thread  (Read 375145 times)
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #1245 on: April 17, 2019, 04:37:48 PM »

Theyíll likely be oversized, I imagine Bachman is probably going to go for a size thatís slightly larger than average large scale equipment and basically make them in their own unique scaling.  Similar to the case of large scale or even Tomix when they had N scale.
STL

View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: April 17, 2019, 07:51:18 PM »

Tbh, while it makes sense for N scale to be potentially bigger than U.K. N scale like the Tomix ones, they lost a potential market by making the LS ones G3 over G1. G1 at least wouldíve given them a secondary market, for people to bash the stock into more realistic or use them for parts, and for people who want the showís scale. Like itís a niche market, but so is the normal range, and they couldíve had the potential to make more money.
Now I think it would be smart of them to at least make the new N scale range match the U.K. N scale scale, as opposed to the Tomix ones. Of course, they could just be repackaged Tomix ones and them and Bachmann made a deal to sell them in the US, and now the U.K. and Ireland, but it looks like they wonít be. Which I donít mind, be picking up a Percy if it looks good for its chassis, not enough N scale 0-4-0 chassis nowadays.
JLK2707

View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: April 18, 2019, 08:13:26 AM »

Yeah, probably.
CC55

View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: April 19, 2019, 05:02:12 PM »

Hey guys!
   Both my Bachmann Douglas and Emily are having troubles running and I'm not sure why. I was just wondering if any of you have had the same problem and what you did to fix it. Thanks!
      -CC55
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: April 19, 2019, 07:58:22 PM »

Can you explain the running issues they are having? 
CC55

View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: April 20, 2019, 02:10:37 AM »

Can you explain the running issues they are having? 

Well Emily just isn't running at all and Douglas basically doesn't run either, with the exception of a stutter every once in a while. The stutter only happens when I have the track power at 100 and he barely moves at all with that stutter. I'm not sure if it's a problem with the electricity pickup or something else. Sorry I can't provide more details but I don't know what's happening. Thanks!
      -CC55
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: April 20, 2019, 03:23:33 AM »

Sounds like the motor burned out on Emily, and Douglas isnít far off from having that happen too.  I would clean both of their wheels and oil them first and possibly clean the track with a bright boy just to make sure.  If the problem continues after that, you can either send them out to Bachmann or order new motors in their parts catalog.

mulfred-100

View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: April 20, 2019, 08:59:32 AM »

So another meet the steam team video has dropped and given us a look at the new details on Emily.

CC55

View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: April 20, 2019, 08:25:11 PM »

Sounds like the motor burned out on Emily, and Douglas isnít far off from having that happen too.  I would clean both of their wheels and oil them first and possibly clean the track with a bright boy just to make sure.  If the problem continues after that, you can either send them out to Bachmann or order new motors in their parts catalog.

Thanks Chaz! What oil do you use for the engines? Sorry I'm kind of an amateur when it comes to engine care. Also does isopropyl alcohol work for track cleaning or do you think the bright boy is better? Also if there are any other tips for engine care and maintenance it'd be great to know. Thanks for the help!

Also I dislike the gold rods on the Emily update picture  Sad
     -CC55
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: April 20, 2019, 09:13:25 PM »

Bachmannís EZ lube would be the way to go for oiling your models.

And I think isopropyl alcohol could work, but personally I find bright boys to be a lot easier to work with and gets the job done much quicker.  Fortunately both this and EZ lube are easy finds in local hobby shops.

I also donít like the changes on the Gordon and Emily renders either, they donít flatter them and look ridiculous.  If anything, Jam Filled really should focus more on the renders that actually need improving like Oliver or Duncan.
Rodimus Supreme

View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: April 22, 2019, 10:45:38 AM »

Thereís also this video from Samís Trains where he shows how to maintenance Bachmann Thomas and Friends locomotives. Very informative and makes me feel like I could actually do it even with my limited skills. Cheesy
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0ge9K-qEfO8&t=112s

And yes, Jam Filled clearly have no idea what theyíre doing, as they keep making changes no one is asking for and ignoring things that DO need to be changed.  Huh?
RebeccaFTW

View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: April 25, 2019, 02:42:50 PM »

Well it's been a while since I've been on the forum, but I noticed we're currently discussing track cleaning and maintenance of models, so I figured I'd bring up my methods as well.  Starting with cleaning track, my method has 2 stages, both of which can be used together or by themselves.  I find using both works best, especially if you're running DCC on your railroads, as models with that system are more sensitive to dirty tracks.

First stage of my method is to use a Scotch-Brite pad and run it along the tracks to remove any dirt that might be caked on.  I also have a brite block pad fitted under one of my Bachmann cabooses which helps to save time if I've got a lot of track to clean and a short amount of time to do it, example being the morning before a show.  I'll drop a photo of my setup down below.

I would not doubt you could rig up something similar and fit it under an HO boxcar or other piece of rolling stock, but smaller scales may or may not work with this particular method.  Still, if you're just using a regular Scotch-Brite pad and cleaning the tracks by hand, it should work just fine.  One suggestion I will make however is to steer away from track cleaning cars as I find they are not really that efficient and are overpriced for what they are.  If you can find one at a reasonable price however, by all means go for it.

Second stage of my method is that I will run back over the track again, this time using a paper towel with 70% rubbing alcohol which will remove any of the fine dirt/reside that the Scotch-Brite pad may have missed.  For train wheels I will use the same paper towel method I did for the tracks.  I clean wheels by laying the towel over the tracks and then set the wheels that power the model over the paper towel.  Running the model at a slow speed, I hold the paper towel in place and let the model run on it for a few seconds to remove any dirt.  Any wheels that pick up power, but do not turn when the model runs, will need to be cleaned by hand.

Something I do want to point out is that when I'm cleaning track, I don't often run models at the same time.  This is because it poses an issue of cross contamination as dirt from the train wheels will gather onto the track you just cleaned, especially after you've gone over them with the rubbing alcohol and the tracks are still wet.  If I'm going to be running trains all day, I prefer to have fully clean tracks to start with, and that being the case I'll refrain from running models while I clean the tracks.  Not only do I want to avoid the cross contamination issue I mentioned earlier, but my 10amp power supply delivers quite a kick if your fingers are wet.

Lastly is maintenance of models.  Because I'm a cheapskate, I tend not to use Bachmann's E-Z Lube and instead use 3-in-One Household Oil.  I don't recommend this however as it could void the warranty on your model(s), but I have looked through several manuals I've got and the only information I can find is (and I quote), "PLEASE NOTE: We recommend that you use Bachmann's line of E-Z Lube products.  However, any plastic-compatible lubricants designed for model railroad applications can be used."  I don't know where the 3-in-One oil falls into terms of compatibility/acceptance by Bachmann's standards, but I've been using the product since I got into Large Scale (which was a good 10 years ago), and I'm yet to have a problem.  I recommend that if you're going to use a different product, make sure to read the fine print, as some lubricants will melt plastic parts and I'm pretty sure if you trash a gearbox on a model from using something Bachmann didn't recommend, their warranty isn't going to cover it.  Who knows, I may have just screwed myself over by admitting what I use on my model railroad.

That's just how I perform maintenance on my track and models, but again keep in mind that I'm running Large Scale, and all scales are different in how they should be maintained and what method's work the best for what application.  I know none of us read the instruction manual(s) that we get with our models, but that's unfortunately where you're going to find most (if not all) of the information you need in regards to maintenance of your models.  Anyways, hope this post was at least somewhat helpful, and if anyone has any further questions, then feel free to ask.

-Rusty

A PESSIMIST sees a dark tunnel.  An OPTIMIST sees light at the end of the tunnel.  A REALIST sees a freight train.  The TRAIN OPERATOR sees three idiots standing on the tracks.
the Bach-man
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: April 25, 2019, 10:22:55 PM »

Dear Rusty,
It is my understanding that 3 in 1 is NOT plastic compatible!
EZ-Lubes, Aero-car, and Labelle are all excellent choices.
Compared to the price of a locomotive, don't be penny wise and pound foolish!
Have fun!
the Bach-man
Rodimus Supreme

View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: April 28, 2019, 03:19:42 PM »

Does anyone know how to convert Gauge 1 scale (apparently it's 1:32 scale) to 1:87 or 1:76 scale?
Cheeky_ULP

View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: April 28, 2019, 03:40:57 PM »

Invest in a shrink ray.
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: