STORE
"ASK THE BACH MAN"
FORUM
PARTS, SERVICE,
& INFORMATION
CATALOGS AND
BROCHURES

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2019, 09:38:18 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Check out the photo gallery link above or >click here< to see photos of recently announced products!
+  Bachmann Message Board
|-+  Discussion Boards
| |-+  Thomas & Friends
| | |-+  The Everything Thomas Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 86 Print
Author Topic: The Everything Thomas Thread  (Read 375042 times)
TTTEfan1992

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: February 06, 2016, 01:26:45 PM »

Wow! I just watched a video of the New York Toy Fair from last year which is going to happen this year in just a week. All I have to say is just "Wow!" I had no idea the toy fair is so big. It's got everything. I wish I can go to it, but I can't. I live too far away from it. Sad
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 01:29:26 PM by TTTEfan1992 » Logged
Jacob Wilson
« Reply #451 on: February 06, 2016, 01:57:35 PM »

^ Above 1 Reply - @Reply #456 By TTTEfan1992:  I imagine you watched the video on YouTube?

I am in the same situation. I would love to go to the Toy Fair too, but I live in the UK.
TTTEfan1992

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: February 06, 2016, 02:18:49 PM »

Yes I did watch a video of it on YouTube. It looks so phenomenal. I'm impressed. If I went to it, I would have a blast. I would be most interested in the Bachmann Thomas range but other than that, I would have a blast.
Jacob Wilson
« Reply #453 on: February 06, 2016, 02:56:51 PM »

^ Above 1 Reply - @Reply #458 By TTTEfan1992: I agree with you, and yes, if I went I would go for the Bachmann Thomas & Friends range. Do Bachmann display prototypes of this year's new announcements at the Toy Fair?
TTTEfan1992

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: February 06, 2016, 03:27:20 PM »

I don't know. I doubt it. I think the products that are announced this year are just illustrated out on some table, or you just see an illustration in the new catalog. The announced products from last year that are almost released might be displayed. If not, they'll very likely be in this year's catalog.
Jacob Wilson
« Reply #455 on: February 06, 2016, 04:18:46 PM »

^ Above 1 Reply - @Reply #460 By TTTEfan1992: I would not be surprised if the prototypes of Oliver and Toad will be on display.

Would Bachmann display an image taken from the Thomas & Friends TV Series of each new announcement for this year?
TTTEfan1992

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: February 06, 2016, 06:33:53 PM »

I don't know anything about that. My understanding is that Bachmann announces what they are going to make, and HIT Entertainment sends them a picture of the characters, cars, freight, etc.  from the CGI TV series, and Bachmannn prints the pictures in the catalog.
Jacob Wilson
« Reply #457 on: February 06, 2016, 06:46:11 PM »

^ Above 1 Reply - @Reply #462 By TTTEfan1992: That is very interesting to hear. I did not know that there is partnership between Bachmann and HiT Entertainment like this one, but I am glad they do. I thought maybe Bachmann would complete a Google search, to find a TV Series image of the Locomotive they want to produce! It nice though to here that the owner of Thomas & Friends (HiT Entertainment) and a Thomas & Friends merchandise manufacture (Bachmann) have this contact and partnership together.
AJW98Productions

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: February 07, 2016, 12:56:38 AM »

^ Above 1 Reply - @Reply #452 By JJ96: Ah yes, here is a person who knows that Forums are for people to share their opinions to others of the same interest. This is what I have been trying to do all along and all this time, since I registered on this Forum.

I am sure we all know that this site is a Bachmann Forum.

In the meantime at least, it nice to have a former User come back, and hopefully to stay this time! Welcome back here, JJ96.
I feel I should just add here Jacob that you shouldn't presume to know exactly who that JJ96's comment was addressed to, it was vague and indirect. I personally would take it as a warning to all members, even I'm taking that comment on board, and I'm going to think about it because of that.

Moving on:
Since Gordon is such a good seller, does anyone think it's possible that we could get a sound chipped version of the model?  Personally, I would find Gordon so much more interesting than just another Percy or James.  I know there's the cost of modeling, but I think a sound chipped Gordon would be a pretty hot item!
I personally think it could be a hit, but like you mentioned, there is the cost of modelling. I do think it would be an interesting concept though, if we are going to get most of the "main cast" of engines sound chipped, I expect Percy would come next, then James, to somewhat mirror the way the characters were originally released, as those decisions were based off popularity, economics etc.
On a final side note: whilst I forget who first brought up Gordon outselling Thomas in a few ranges, being the only engine to do so, at first that surprised me; a lot. Whilst Percy, Thomas and James seem to have been the shows "frontrunners" in promotion since...I'd say the early 2000's, but lets turn back the clock a little further, I'd say that maybe in the late 90's, the shows "frontrunners" in promotion seemed to be a little more mixed (bar Thomas, who has always been the mainstay of the TV Series, obviously). Then let's turn back further again, to when the show was in its infancy, 1984 - the very early 90's, it can be seen in promotions, there is a heavy emphasis on another engine which, later was comparatively played down in marketing, I am of course, talking about Gordon.
I'm going to digress from my main point here to bring up an example, in the British TV Sitcom "The Vicar Of Dibley", I saw a brief moment of an episode where the Reverend Geraldine Kennedy is talking to her friend Alice. Alice states she would like models of Thomas, Percy and Gordon at her upcoming wedding. Note that instead of James being the third "frontrunner" it would seem Gordon held that position for awhile, as little mentions like that would make me raise an eyebrow if James had been more popular at the time, sadly I don't remember what the episode was called or what year it was released in, but I think it is an example of the earlier marketing focus of Gordon

Gordon is a large engine with a unique design, lovely paintwork, and a quite defined personality, seemingly one of the few main characters that didn't have any major personality retcon or changes in the Season 7-16 era (yes, I understand we saw characters personalities get progressive rewrites from Season 5 onwards, but in Seasons 7 and 8, this became more apparent, with Seasons 9-16 being the most infamous of the lot, but back to Gordon);
Dating back to the first episode of the TV Series, he was always in the spotlight to a degree. So critically looking at it, whilst still baffling, I think the fact that Gordon has shown his potential since the very first episode (in 1984!) as a highly marketable and successful character, one that can successfully play well off of any character around him. To me, I think the tooling costs, and eventual costs of Gordon's finished design would constrain the possibility of him getting a sound chipped model. But that is not to say that it won't happen. I would of course say that I do not expect him to outsell Thomas in many (if any) toy ranges, but I think it is at least, from a critical point of view, a little more plausible when one delves into the deeper depths of the marketing of the TV Series.

Some observations from underneath a mountain of study,
~Alex
BassTbone

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: February 07, 2016, 09:06:42 AM »

My Narrow Gauge Layout:

AJW98Productions

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: February 07, 2016, 09:20:16 AM »

Wow. Good looking layout there, BassTBone, if you can, please keep us updated, I'd love to see it finished Grin

How large is the layout? Smiley

~Alex
Jacob Wilson
« Reply #461 on: February 07, 2016, 10:00:21 AM »

^^ Above 2 Replies - @Reply #465 By BassTbone: Amazing looking layout. Please post more pictures as you update it. I love the shot of Skarloey as well, with shot taken at a low angle to where Skarloey is parked up. Cheesy Grin
ThomasFan247

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: February 07, 2016, 04:43:05 PM »

Speaking of narrow gauge... Smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gFjqckH1Gw

Your layout is looking great, BassTbone! I can't wait to see the finished product Grin
Jacob Wilson
« Reply #463 on: February 07, 2016, 04:54:41 PM »

^ Above 1 Reply - @Reply #468 By ThomasFan247: That Video you have uploaded on YouTube of Skarloey pulling the Open Wagon, Box Van - Blue and Box Van - Red is amazing! I really like that Video. It looks like a scene from the TV Series (The model railway era). I cannot wait to get my Skarloey!
JD417

View Profile WWW
« Reply #464 on: February 07, 2016, 08:36:03 PM »

Hey, it's the Large Scale Ice Cream Wagon:

http://i.imgur.com/3skH4md.jpg

If it's old news, sorry, I just saw it.. Tongue
I can only guess Winston, Oliver and Toad will definitely get pictures at/by Toy Fair then  Grin
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 08:42:43 PM by JD417 » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 86 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: