STORE
"ASK THE BACH MAN"
FORUM
PARTS, SERVICE,
& INFORMATION
CATALOGS AND
BROCHURES

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2019, 06:57:16 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<
+  Bachmann Message Board
|-+  Discussion Boards
| |-+  Thomas & Friends
| | |-+  The Everything Thomas Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 86 Print
Author Topic: The Everything Thomas Thread  (Read 367176 times)
Griffin

View Profile
« Reply #780 on: February 22, 2017, 09:36:45 PM »

Well, we all know the rolling stock of Bachmann Thomas, HO scale specifically, leaves...much to be desired. Pieces are missing and wagons that make no sense are released instead of sensible, show-accurate wagons. There needs to be just as much focus on the rolling stock as there is on the engines. If we aren’t revamping extremely out of date models like Thomas, Percy, or James because of “cost” (I don’t believe we’re actually getting that redesigned James by the way), why not start with a total re-imagining of the rolling stock? Seriously, the cost to stop producing the out-of-date moulds and start creating new, up-to-date rolling stock that could still be repainted probably breaks even. Here’s how I see the revamp of rolling stock playing out.

Coaches
1. Re-designed CGI Designed Annie and Clarabel,this would include accurate roof, running board, and buffer-housings colors as well as new faces (both smiling- we should be past the days of Annie being surprised)

2. Existing Red Coaches, perhaps change the roof color to more accurately depict the current dark-grey color seen on the show, rather than black.

3. Existing Emily’s Coaches.

4. Redesigned GREEN Express Coaches, sized correctly length and width-wise to match the CGI renders. These would sell like hotcakes, and the new mould which would use less plastic to more accurately match the show.

5. Current Henrietta mould, but with CGI accurate face. This is such an easy mod and I don’t know why Bachmann hasn’t gone and done it yet.

6. Perhaps include Spencer’s Special Coach as part of the line, utilizing the new coach mould, but market it with a different name- something like “The Mainland Coaches” (considering that’s where Spencer predominantly works)- having them being engine-specific now will really narrow sales as anyone who isn’t intimately familiar with the range will assume the coach only works with Spencer, which obviously isn’t the case.

7. The is a case to be made for The Slip Coaches, however I don’t think they’ve been used enough in the show for Bachmann to seriously consider them. Plus, to retain accuracy, they would have to be a new coach mould. They wouldn’t be part of the initial revamp in my opinion.

Freight Wagons
Will divide these into subsections, since there are too many variants to combine them all.

Trucks
1. CGI Troublesome Trucks 1 and 2- I don’t see any issues with the current mould simply being given a new face, one stock-standard CGI smiling face for TT#1 and a laughing CGI face for TT#2. Something akin to the wooden railway faces.
2. CGI Whitewashed Vans- Just the current mould, but re-skinned, if you will, to represent the current van color on the show. Discontinue all the pointless recolors for the initial revamp. Bring them back if you want later on.
3. CGI Red Freight Cars- The exact same design and mould would work fine, but since we see them in such volume in the show today, perhaps have them available for both separate sale and in some sort of pack, gives the buyer more of an option depending how many they need.

(Since these are the only cars we really see currently, I’ll give other ideas I believe would be marketable even if they aren’t in the show currently)

Tankers
1. Oil Tankers- no changes. They are a bit small though, so a rescale might be in order. Not sure on that. Same with the red cars, sell them in a pack for those attempting to re-create the TVS.

2. Milk Tanker- same tooling, but with the new logo. Sell these only as separate sale, since they aren’t seen that might in the show today.

3. Fuel Tanker- new logo, existing tooling.

4. Tanker with face- Even though these aren’t in the show, fans would go nuts. Bachmann would make a huge selling on these. Just remove the logo from the oil tankers and slap a face on. Done.

5. Water tanker- We’ve seen these on the show, and even if they are just a recolor, at least they aren’t “the raspberry syrup tanker.”

That’s it for the initial re-release. More recolors of tankers can come later.

Assorted Rolling Stock
I’m too lazy to divide these up xD, so here’s what I think the rest of the rolling stock should look like.

1. Cattle Wagon- I would redo this tooling with sliding doors. Makes it way more interactive/marketable. For the initial revamp, only release it in the livery seen in the show. Re-release the other colors later.

2. Flatbed- Who the heck knows why Bachmann ever discontinued this. I’ve ranted and raved enough though, and personal bias is the only thing causing me to add this to the list xD same tooling as before, new load. Probably the rails and sleepers seen in SLOTLT. Perhaps even market it as the “Construction Yard Flatbed” or something.

3. Mail Wagons- are perfect the way they are. 😂 Discontinue the pointless recolors for the time being. Re-release the white one without the lobster decal later and add the blue strip seen in the show. Market it as “Flying Kipper Van.”

4. Conflat- We see this all the time in the show, all they’d need to do is add the small little guardrail that runs around the entire wagon. Possibly increase product with some sort of load. I remember pumpkins once being transported in a conflat- why not call it “The Pumpkin Wagon”? Bam. You’ve got a show-accurate wagon, a gimmick for the kids, AND a Halloween-themed product all wrapped up in one.

5. Brakevan- Show accurate, color and new tooling. Initially I would only release the stock standard grey-purple? color we see in the show, but as LS has shown us, Bachmann is open to variations such as The Spiteful Brakevan. Toad’s model is fine. He would be included in the initial revamp. Perhaps they could release Bradford at some point?

I like what we’ve got here. Any ideas? Edits are welcome!

EDIT: As I come up with more ideas or changes, they'll be posted here. Just FYI :-P
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 09:38:22 PM by Griffin » Logged

Waiting for Bachmann Stepney...
Toad139

View Profile
« Reply #781 on: February 22, 2017, 10:36:15 PM »

Although I agree with some of your points Griffin, I don't know why you would want CGI express coaches. Their renders are awful, they are too tall and narrow. They are missing their corridors as well as the smaller windows on the one side. It would be a much better decision to just release the old ones.

As for the CGI logos, I personally don't mind the new Oil Tanker one(although I prefer the classic). However the CG milk tanker, fuel tanker, and mail car aren't that good in my opinion. They should leave the tankers how they are.

The white-washed vans and red trucks are also not a smart move IMO. One of Arc's weak points is their use of rolling stock. They are pretty lazy when it comes to this because they just copy and paste the same model over and over again. People can criticize Nitrogen all they like but this is one thing they did better. They had many different oil tanker renders with different color shades and weathering, and they also had different color vans, utility wagons, trucks, and brake vans. Bachmann should just keep their vent van they way it is(No it's not accurate to the show but it has more detail and you can easily repaint it). The red trucks they make now are close enough as well.(These could also be repainted easily) I just don't think Bachmann should limit themselves because the animators do. I do pretty much agree with the rest of your points however.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 10:51:05 PM by Toad139 » Logged
Anthony P2

this Doctor doesn't shut railways down

View Profile
« Reply #782 on: February 23, 2017, 11:47:02 PM »

Griffin,
You made some good points but some of the "easy" stuff wouldn't actually be so easy. Like CGI based Annie and Clarabel. They would have to retool the molds the models come from. this costs more money and would probably sacrifice getting more than just a few products that year. Honestly, if Bachmann just redesigned the way the painted the faces on A&C to make them more CGI-esk, that would be fine with me! Plus that would be a cheaper route for Bachmann to take because they won't have to do much and they'll save money in the process. Almost the same with Henrietta. To accommodate a face, the area where her face is would have to be redesigned, because the windows are different by her face than they are on the other side. A new tooling would have to be made to accommodate this, which (you guessed it) costs money too. As for the cattle wagon, as much as i love this idea (ironically I was thinking about this the other day for some reason), this would have to be redesigned as well or taken from an old Bachmann Mainline model. Maybe if they took the toolings from a van with a sliding door and sold it as a "Flying Kipper van" then that would be pretty good! There's an old Bachmann Mainline tooling that Bachman could use. I actually believe this was discussed before somewhere in the message board. it looks like the "ice cream wagon," and all they'd have to do is paint it up and maybe put a face on it!
Anthony P2

this Doctor doesn't shut railways down

View Profile
« Reply #783 on: March 22, 2017, 10:18:23 PM »

Sorry for double posting but Train World went live with the head of marketing for Bachmann, Rich Janyzeck, recently talking about some recent products and answering questions. If you're interested, here it is. its long so i highlighted most, if not all, of the points about the Thomas products.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xY1EzZZbuM
LS sound Thomas and Winston 4:00
Running LS Winston 17:30
Approximate release time for Rosie at around 19:40
Approximate release time for Rheneas at around 22:20
Possibility of LS Thomas tender engines 27:08
Regarding faces on the products 35:48 (I think Rich might have forgot to say that they're keeping up with how the character presently looks... in terms of if its currently in the show and in full CGI or if they haven't made it to CGI yet)
in regards to "Redesigned James" 41:15
More talk about Rheneas 48:22

Some people may not be happy with the some approximate release times for the new stuff, but now we have a little more insight as to why some products have been/will be delayed. I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say this, but a huge thank you to Mr. Janyzeck for answering those questions for us as best as he can and not giving too much away for future products!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 10:20:11 PM by Anthony P2 » Logged
JD417

View Profile WWW
« Reply #784 on: March 22, 2017, 11:37:34 PM »

Best line out of that entire video is him saying "I'm not aware of a painting error on James.".

I honestly feel like he made a mistake in saying Rheneas is due for 2018. I think he got confused about how he was supposed to be out at the end of 2016, and now he's got pushed back to 2017.

Also, when has Bachmann actually gone and shown to completely revamp tooling for a character?
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #785 on: March 23, 2017, 02:57:55 AM »

I agree with Jesse that I think a more practical release date for Rheneas would be around the end of this year, since he was on display at Toy fair, whereas Oliver wasn't on display for almost two years after his announcement which is why he is only just now coming out.  

Honestly, I don't know why people still keep bringing up the updated paint scheme for James, I would be amazed if they actually follow through with this and actually fix the paint errors that were requested. If they don't do it anytime this year, I think it might be best to move on from that subject, considering the source of where it originally came from is questionable at best.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 03:08:09 AM by Chaz » Logged
HLC Railroad

Steam Locomotive Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #786 on: March 23, 2017, 09:15:49 AM »

The source of the James Repaint is actually from InsideTrack, a form admin, so no it's not a questionable source. Everything else on this forum so far I have to agree with though.

With all these people building their own replica Thomas characters, soon we may have no choice but to have 4K Thomas and Friends remakes.

Thomas:Done | James:Recently Complete | Sir Handel:Finished | Gordon: Needs Paint and Eye Mechanism | Henry: Cad and Chassis

Need I say more?
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #787 on: March 23, 2017, 11:05:53 AM »

Actually the original source of the James repaint came from an interview from a Thomas fan interviewing Doug Blaine who "confirmed" it to happen in 2015, which turned out was not the case.  He even seemed unsure of whether it was going to happen or not when I asked him about it a year later at a show in my area.

So yes it is a questionable source.
thomasj219

Thomas Will Be Coming Down Our Track Forever!!

View Profile
« Reply #788 on: March 23, 2017, 02:22:11 PM »

I don't think inside track ever mentioned it.

All I want is, Stepney, Boco, Daisy, Harvey.
HLC Railroad

Steam Locomotive Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #789 on: March 23, 2017, 02:28:05 PM »

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,29694.0.html

There's the link for the page on this forum where InsideTrack said that the repaint would be soon, apparently it also says on there that they got 2 years worth of James so the repaints wouldn't be here until after, and that was in 2015. Just backing up the claim I made earlier.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 10:30:51 PM by HLC Railroad » Logged

With all these people building their own replica Thomas characters, soon we may have no choice but to have 4K Thomas and Friends remakes.

Thomas:Done | James:Recently Complete | Sir Handel:Finished | Gordon: Needs Paint and Eye Mechanism | Henry: Cad and Chassis

Need I say more?
thomasj219

Thomas Will Be Coming Down Our Track Forever!!

View Profile
« Reply #790 on: March 23, 2017, 09:04:54 PM »

Well there we go. Here's hoping it happens.

All I want is, Stepney, Boco, Daisy, Harvey.
BassTbone

View Profile
« Reply #791 on: March 23, 2017, 10:50:57 PM »

Honestly guys, its a small error you can fix personally.  I highly doubt they are going to spend money to repaint a model that already sells well. 

You should also keep in mind the price of tender engines in G scale too.  Maybe thats why they are sticking to smaller engines. 

Good to hear Oliver is shipping out Monday. 
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #792 on: March 23, 2017, 11:06:42 PM »

The fact that not even another rep didn't even know about the updated paint scheme should honestly give a hint with how unlikely it is they will actually follow through with it.  Again, Doug said he wasn't sure about the updated paint scheme when I met him at the show that took place after that post.

Plus it's like what Michael said, it's not a big deal if they don't do it, since it's a modification that anyone can do if they are reallly bothered.  Not much of an investment on Bachmann's end to change a product to satisfy a minority of consumers who buy the model.
WittmanStudios
« Reply #793 on: April 01, 2017, 07:41:43 PM »

Sorry to be that sort of person but I have an inquiry that has been plaguing my mind, what has happened to the selection of Bachmann Thomas & Friends HO scale train sets? I see less and less new sets coming out and I've seen more discontinued than introduced. Has the interest of buying train sets gone down? Or has it to do with the amount of products that can be sold with a train set and if so, then why not come up with ideas to implement new sets on the Thomas & Friends Range?

It's not a matter of importance but that's been on my mind and I might have answered my own question somewhere but I thought I'd bring it up just because I find that very interesting.

Thanks for your time. Have a good weekend.

Best,

Wittman
Toad139

View Profile
« Reply #794 on: April 16, 2017, 03:41:05 PM »

One of the main reasons that sets are being discontinued is sales. The range itself isn't doing bad and they regularly introduce new products, but Bachmann have stated that sets with Thomas do the best. A set is supposed to be a place to start off and if a parent goes out to get a set for their kid they are going to go with the one that has Thomas rather than a character like Salty or James.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 86 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: