STORE
"ASK THE BACH MAN"
FORUM
PARTS, SERVICE,
& INFORMATION
CATALOGS AND
BROCHURES

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 15, 2018, 04:12:10 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Check out the photo gallery link above or >click here< to see photos of recently announced products!
+  Bachmann Message Board
|-+  Discussion Boards
| |-+  Thomas & Friends
| | |-+  The Everything Thomas Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 72 Print
Author Topic: The Everything Thomas Thread  (Read 303296 times)
TrainFan97

View Profile
« Reply #885 on: December 14, 2017, 01:45:40 PM »

Season 21 is sadly only 18 episodes long. 8 more were planned, but were cut to help with the development of... you know what.

I guess we can kiss the chances of BoCo or Stepney joining the range.
Sparks

View Profile
« Reply #886 on: December 14, 2017, 01:47:30 PM »

It's likely the 8 episodes will end up in the second half of Season 22.
TrainFan97

View Profile
« Reply #887 on: December 14, 2017, 06:04:14 PM »

I can't believe this season had to be short-lived. It's even shorter than most Miller seasons. Was there not enough time to make more episodes? How pitiful.

Chances of Duke, Stepney, or BoCo joining the range aren't looking good. They may never return now, knowing the direction the show is going. If they don't return anytime soon, then those characters will be a distant memory.

At least we don't have to worry about HO Edward, Henry, or Toby getting discontinued, since their sales are still strong.
Metal

View Profile
« Reply #888 on: December 15, 2017, 02:52:39 AM »

Give it a couple seasons and I guarantee the show will go back to normal. This trend of "quote unquote" inclusiveness is nothing but a fad, which is already dying.
Falcon
« Reply #889 on: December 16, 2017, 01:05:46 PM »

Thank goodness that Edward, Henry and Toby are still going to be around.

I really hope Mavis doesn't get discontinued either. Even though she's barely had any speaking roles or merchandise in recent years, she's still a big favorite for some fans.
angelob6660

View Profile
« Reply #890 on: December 16, 2017, 01:25:53 PM »

Does everybody else thinks that this little island is getting overpopulated with trains?

I understand the main characters of Thomas, the narrow gauge, vehicles, and people. We have to realize that this show has changed and we may not like everything.

I stayed with the original version within season 1-4 but I do branch out within other seasons.
Thomasfan39

View Profile
« Reply #891 on: December 17, 2017, 08:38:16 PM »

So my Grandma came over today and brought me the live lobsters car, Oliver, and the sound activated Thomas 😃
TrainFan97

View Profile
« Reply #892 on: December 19, 2017, 03:45:00 PM »

It's a shame Norman barely did a thing since his debut in 2011. He barely had any merchandise AT ALL. He almost never speaks.

I was hoping to get a Norman episode, but because of the direction the show is going, the chance of that seems very slim. The reason I'm bringing him up is because he's a seriously underused character in the CGI series.

As for a Bachmann model of him, we can't count on it for reasons I said above. Because of those reasons, he is a long shot. It's not his design that's the problem, it's how he's treated by Mattel. If Norman ever gets a starring role, that would greatly increase the chances of a Bachmann model. Look at Sidney. He started making more appearances and speaking roles as of Season 20. Unlike Sidney, Norman would require a new tooling, but that's not the problem. The problem is his treatment by Mattel.

I fail to understand why Mattel never gives Norman light. He's not even a black engine. According to Mattel, black engines don't sell well, with the exceptions of Hiro and Diesel. That's apparently the reason why they haven't made any new merchandise of Mavis or Donald and Douglas in recent years. Thank goodness Bachmann made HO Mavis, Donald and Douglas before Mattel took over. Norman is primarily orange-red, so I don't see how he's not marketable.

Months ago, I narrowed down the HO possibilities to Sidney or Daisy.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #893 on: December 19, 2017, 06:00:38 PM »

I fail to understand why Mattel never gives Norman light. He's not even a black engine. According to Mattel, black engines don't sell well, with the exceptions of Hiro and Diesel. That's apparently the reason why they haven't made any new merchandise of Mavis or Donald and Douglas in recent years. Thank goodness Bachmann made HO Mavis, Donald and Douglas before Mattel took over. Norman is primarily orange-red, so I don't see how he's not marketable.

That right there is the problem with Daisy, since Mattel doesn't view her as a marketable character.  Despite her having so many roles in CGI, Mattel won't bother promoting her or making toys out of her because kids won't find her design all that appealing.  Honestly it's a good thing Bachmann announced Mavis and Donald and Douglas when they did, because if they didn't before Mattel's takeover they probably wouldn't have bothered making them, and sadly that seems to be the problem with Daisy.

If Norman had a stronger presence on the show like Paxton, then I'm sure he would be a fair possibility.  As of now though the only diesels I could see having a shot are Sidney and Philip.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 06:03:04 PM by Chaz » Logged
TerencetheTractor525

View Profile
« Reply #894 on: December 19, 2017, 07:59:37 PM »

That right there is the problem with Daisy, since Mattel doesn't view her as a marketable character.  Despite her having so many roles in CGI, Mattel won't bother promoting her or making toys out of her because kids won't find her design all that appealing.  Honestly it's a good thing Bachmann announced Mavis and Donald and Douglas when they did, because if they didn't before Mattel's takeover they probably wouldn't have bothered making them, and sadly that seems to be the problem with Daisy.

If Norman had a stronger presence on the show like Paxton, then I'm sure he would be a fair possibility.  As of now though the only diesels I could see having a shot are Sidney and Philip.

For the most part, I agree with your point. However, in the Bachmann range, I think that Daisy's design would be incredibly appealing among all ages since she does not look like any other loco (the first large diesel in the range). Additionally, unless you heard straight from a Bachmann rep, I still believe that there is a chance for an HO Daisy. After all, Daisy would do much better than Sidney or Phillip in terms of sales, especially if she gets announced soon.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 08:03:21 PM by TerencetheTractor525 » Logged
TrainFan97

View Profile
« Reply #895 on: December 19, 2017, 08:35:24 PM »

So, since Mattel doesn't find Daisy marketable, do you think she's deconfirmed?

Another great choice for HO Scale is Ryan. He's a tank engine, and he does require a new tooling. Like his branch line partner, Daisy, he also played significant roles in the show. Unlike Daisy, Ryan actually has plenty of merchandise.

As for Philip, I think he's too small for HO Scale, since he's smaller than Percy. He's much more suitable for Large Scale.

So, for HO Scale, the biggest possibilities for 2018 I think are Ryan or Sidney.
Sparks

View Profile
« Reply #896 on: December 19, 2017, 10:38:01 PM »

Daisys marketability is an interesting topic, but take note that Mattels marketing for a lot of characters in general is very strange. A lot of characters in The Great Race have barely or no toys at all, such as Carlos and Shane, and the Small Engines didn't have the full trio represented in several toy ranges. Characters that have also been great toy sellers in the pre-Mattel era such as D199 have also not resurfaced in a long time.

In general, the way Thomas characters and their toys are handled has gone downhill since Mattel took over.

With the way BWBA is looking, how Mattel is treating the Wood range, and the reports of Mattels sales for many brands including Thomas going down the last few years, I don't think it's an unjustified claim to say that Mattel isn't quite sure how to properly market Thomas, despite being industry veterans. I feel like the tank engine has been a curve-ball for Mattel and we're starting to see some desperation from the company.

I also feel like the Bachmann Thomas range is very different from ranges such as Wood, Trackmaster, etc. for obvious reasons. Fans of the Bachmann Thomas range don't necessarily look for the hottest new characters on the market, but seek the most popular, iconic and well-received characters. This is a rank I would definitely put Daisy on. To add to that, Paxton was the first CGI character that was so unanimously well-received by older and younger fans alike, so it's no surprise he's the first full-CGI character coming to the Thomas range. Hiro came pretty close, but I feel like Paxton was a home-run hit with the fans.

So in short, I'm not too phased by Mattel just yet (we will have to wait and see what the 2018 range brings us), and still have what I feel are reasonable hopes and expectations to see Daisy.
TrainshockeylifE

View Profile
« Reply #897 on: December 19, 2017, 10:43:15 PM »

This sounds ridiculous, but Bachmann could make diesel 10, they have the Bachmann U.K. class 42 warship and they could always talk to bandai and get them to let Bachmann use their pinchy design. Just a thought, it would be the greatest thing if Bachmann made him. And lady wouldn't be hard, you could use Percy's chassis and change the shell.
Sparks

View Profile
« Reply #898 on: December 19, 2017, 11:01:19 PM »

That's easy enough for kitbashers, but for Bachmann, that's not really how making a Thomas product works. The Bachmann Thomas range make the engines and rolling stock based off of photo references that they get from Mattel/HiT Entertainment internally, so they would base Diesel 10 off the CGI photo references.

Bachmann would make their own claw as well, as they are more than capable of doing, and Bandai does not even make the TECS Diesel 10 anymore. This however raises the issue of having a complicated toy-like ornament on a locomotive. A crane is one thing, but an engine is another.
TerencetheTractor525

View Profile
« Reply #899 on: December 19, 2017, 11:29:19 PM »

Daisys marketability is an interesting topic, but take note that Mattels marketing for a lot of characters in general is very strange. A lot of characters in The Great Race have barely or no toys at all, such as Carlos and Shane, and the Small Engines didn't have the full trio represented in several toy ranges. Characters that have also been great toy sellers in the pre-Mattel era such as D199 have also not resurfaced in a long time.

In general, the way Thomas characters and their toys are handled has gone downhill since Mattel took over.

With the way BWBA is looking, how Mattel is treating the Wood range, and the reports of Mattels sales for many brands including Thomas going down the last few years, I don't think it's an unjustified claim to say that Mattel isn't quite sure how to properly market Thomas, despite being industry veterans. I feel like the tank engine has been a curve-ball for Mattel and we're starting to see some desperation from the company.

I also feel like the Bachmann Thomas range is very different from ranges such as Wood, Trackmaster, etc. for obvious reasons. Fans of the Bachmann Thomas range don't necessarily look for the hottest new characters on the market, but seek the most popular, iconic and well-received characters. This is a rank I would definitely put Daisy on. To add to that, Paxton was the first CGI character that was so unanimously well-received by older and younger fans alike, so it's no surprise he's the first full-CGI character coming to the Thomas range. Hiro came pretty close, but I feel like Paxton was a home-run hit with the fans.

So in short, I'm not too phased by Mattel just yet (we will have to wait and see what the 2018 range brings us), and still have what I feel are reasonable hopes and expectations to see Daisy.

I could not agree with you more.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 72 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: