STORE
"ASK THE BACH MAN"
FORUM
PARTS, SERVICE,
& INFORMATION
CATALOGS AND
BROCHURES

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 18, 2019, 11:02:12 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Check out the photo gallery link above or >click here< to see photos of recently announced products!
+  Bachmann Message Board
|-+  Discussion Boards
| |-+  Thomas & Friends
| | |-+  The Everything Thomas Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 80 Print
Author Topic: The Everything Thomas Thread  (Read 340445 times)
Cheeky_ULP

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 07, 2015, 12:05:04 AM »

Lionel is probably still holding on to the range because they are still making profit off of it.
Jacob Wilson
« Reply #106 on: November 07, 2015, 05:15:38 AM »

Lionel is probably still holding on to the range because they are still making profit off of it.

What is Lionel anyway?
Jhanecker2

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 07, 2015, 09:42:21 AM »

Good Morning Mr. Wilson  :   Lionel  is a company that has manufactured "O" gauge  AC powered   Trains in the U.S.  for a large part of the last century  and continues to  do so currently in this .  They currently  also are involved  in "S" scale  through ownership  of the former American Flyer Line (  1/64 scale  ) . At one point in time they also dabbled   in HO scale but that was a good number of  decades ago .   They  are iconic  in the model  railroading  history of the American culture .     John 2 .
Jacob Wilson
« Reply #108 on: November 07, 2015, 10:54:21 AM »

Good Morning Mr. Wilson  :   Lionel  is a company that has manufactured "O" gauge  AC powered   Trains in the U.S.  for a large part of the last century  and continues to  do so currently in this .  They currently  also are involved  in "S" scale  through ownership  of the former American Flyer Line (  1/64 scale  ) . At one point in time they also dabbled   in HO scale but that was a good number of  decades ago .   They  are iconic  in the model  railroading  history of the American culture .     John 2 .

Hi John 2,

Oh, right. I will have to look more into Lionel. I haven't heard of it before. Thank you for this information, as I am UK resident, so Lionel clearly is not sold in the UK, so I don't much know about it the manufactuer.

Jacob Wilson.
AJW98Productions

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 07, 2015, 11:59:18 AM »

Same thing can even be said with Tomix if they were to not have the rights to produce N scale anymore.
The thing with that is, I've done some looking around on multiple online stores recently and even eBay, and it would seem the stock of Tomix Thomas and Friends engines is drying up, so I'm tempted to think Tomix have essentially terminated manufacturing of the range and the remaining stock is just floating through the market...I did hear a rumour a few years back that they were going to stop making the range, perhaps the rumour was more credible than I once thought...
~Alex
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 01:05:53 PM by AJW98Productions » Logged
Jacob Wilson
« Reply #110 on: November 07, 2015, 12:20:38 PM »

Same thing can even be said with Tomix if they were to not have the rights to produce N scale anymore.
The thing with that is, I've done some looking around on multiple online stores recently and even eBay, and it would seem the stock of Tomix Thomas and Friends engines is drying up, so I'm tempted to think Tomix have essentially terminated manufacturing of the range and the remaining stock is just floating through the market...I did hear a rumour a few years back that they were going to stop making the range, perhaps the rumour was more credible than I once thought...

Is Tomix another style plastic cheap motorised toy thing for children? Something like Thomas & Friends TrackMaster trains by Fisher-Price?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 12:25:12 PM by Jacob Wilson » Logged
SeanrailAnimations

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: November 07, 2015, 12:51:12 PM »

Tomix Trains did N gauge Thomas products in Japan since 1998. They have since been discontinued.
AJW98Productions

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 07, 2015, 12:53:07 PM »

Is Tomix another style plastic cheap motorised toy thing for children? Something like Thomas & Friends TrackMaster trains by Fisher-Price?
Tomix mostly produce Japanese trains in N gauge, they make some lovely looking "Shinkansen" Bullet Trains and many more, the "Shinkansen" Bullet Trains are a little "modern era" train design that I absolutely adore, and the Tomix models are lovely, but that's besides the point, anyway they, by the seems of things, used to produce a Thomas range before seemingly retiring it...it did only have Thomas, Henry, James and Percy, some buildings and limited wagons, but the models were excellent quality.
****EDIT****:
Tomix Trains did N gauge Thomas products in Japan since 1998. They have since been discontinued.
Well I guess I was onto something there. Since having a liscence for a range that's completely discontinued is essentially useless, does anyone think they'll give up the liscence to manufacture Thomas in N gauge?
~Alex
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 01:05:33 PM by AJW98Productions » Logged
Jacob Wilson
« Reply #113 on: November 07, 2015, 01:00:28 PM »

Tomix mostly produce Japanese trains in N gauge, they make some lovely looking "Shinkansen" Bullet Trains and many more, the "Shinkansen" Bullet Trains are a little "modern era" train design that I absolutely adore, and the Tomix models are lovely, but that's besides the point, anyway they, by the seems of things, used to produce a Thomas range before seemingly retiring it...it did only have Thomas, Henry, James and Percy, some buildings and limited wagons, but the models were excellent quality.
****EDIT****:
Well I guess I was onto something there. Since having a liscence for a range that's completely discontinued is essentially useless, does anyone think they'll give up the liscence to manufacture Thomas in N gauge?

Not another Gauge and Manufacturer. I think N Gauge for a Thomas & Friends Model Railway range is too small, especially for children. I think it is a silly Gauge really for Thomas & Friends. So, we have:

Bachmann - HO, Narrow Gauge, and G Gauges
Hornby - 00 Gauge
Lionel - O Gauge
Tomix - N Gauge
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 01:17:19 PM by Jacob Wilson » Logged
AJW98Productions

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 07, 2015, 01:05:02 PM »

Not another Gauge and Manufacturer. I think N Gauge for a Thomas & Friends Model Railway range is too small, especially for children. I think it is a silly Gauge really for Thomas & Friends. So, we have:
Bachmann - HO, Narrrow Gauge G and Gauges
Hornby - 00 Gauge
Lionel - O Gauge
Tomix - N Gauge
Correct, another manufacturer and gauge, and I more so think the Tomix range was more enjoyed by the older audience, and just thought you may like to know (for interests sake), that Lionel used to produce a G gauge Thomas and James, each with a set of different facial expressions, I think this was in the late 1990's before they either lost the liscence, retired the range or both, not 100% sure on the exact details, but I know the range existed

~Alex
Jacob Wilson
« Reply #115 on: November 07, 2015, 01:14:06 PM »

Bachmann - HO, Narrrow Gauge G and Gauges
Hornby - 00 Gauge
Lionel - O Gauge
Tomix - N Gauge
Correct, another manufacturer and gauge, and I more so think the Tomix range was more enjoyed by the older audience, and just thought you may like to know (for interests sake), that Lionel used to produce a G gauge Thomas and James, each with a set of different facial expressions, I think this was in the late 1990's before they either lost the liscence, retired the range or both, not 100% sure on the exact details, but I know the range existed

~Alex

Thank you.

Sounds good. It does not appear that Tomix released many Locomotives then, which is odd if it was popular. Did the Tomix range ever to the UK? I can't ever remember seeing it in any Model Shops anywhere.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 01:19:08 PM by Jacob Wilson » Logged
AJW98Productions

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 07, 2015, 01:31:36 PM »

I'm not sure if Tomix's range was ever very popular but I know there certainly was, and still is a market for it, I'm sure if they'd just released a few more engines and wagons they would have certainly had more people buy into their range. And I believe some may have made it into the UK, but probably only in small numbers, I used to see the odd couple of them appear in model train stores here in Australia...it's a bit of a shame really, as I believe that could have really been a wise choice for Tomix if they stuck by it...oh well I guess...I'm sure it would have been more popular with more available choice...
~Alex
Jacob Wilson
« Reply #117 on: November 07, 2015, 01:42:38 PM »

I'm not sure if Tomix's range was ever very popular but I know there certainly was, and still is a market for it, I'm sure if they'd just released a few more engines and wagons they would have certainly had more people buy into their range. And I believe some may have made it into the UK, but probably only in small numbers, I used to see the odd couple of them appear in model train stores here in Australia...it's a bit of a shame really, as I believe that could have really been a wise choice for Tomix if they stuck by it...oh well I guess...I'm sure it would have been more popular with more available choice...
~Alex

I guess they would have been if they released more Locimotives. I expect it was very expensive making nicely detailed Thomas & Friends Locomotives in N Gauge. I imagine it was all very difficult to manufacture as well.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 02:35:01 PM by Jacob Wilson » Logged
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 07, 2015, 03:31:21 PM »

Personally I'd be a lot happier with a new N scale Thomas range over O gauge personally.  I used to model in N and I still have all of my Tomix models in storage somewhere.  Unlike Lionel I am fairly confident that we won't see any Tomix products from that range anytime soon, despite Gordon and Edward being announced but never making it in production.  It's in some ways more likely than an O gauge range too since even though Lionel hasn't introduced too many new products, they are still holding onto the license and still making the products that are currently in their catalog.  As far as I'm aware, Tomix hasn't done this for a long time, hence why the products from that range are so expensive and hard to find on eBay.  It wouldn't surprise me if Tomix didn't have that license anymore and kept quiet about it.

Not another Gauge and Manufacturer. I think N Gauge for a Thomas & Friends Model Railway range is too small, especially for children. I think it is a silly Gauge really for Thomas & Friends.

Like I said earlier, the hobby of model-railroading isn't strictly for children, even their Thomas range.  Tomix produced the models in Japan, and N scale products are a lot more popular over there than they are in the US and UK, despite some of the N scale products selling in both of those areas.  Some products never made it to either of those locations, including Percy. 

Hopefully one day we can see an N scale range as I said before it will be a great stepping stone for people to get into the hobby.  The HO, large scale, and even the narrow gauge range are all encouraging people to get into the hobby! 
TrainFan97

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 07, 2015, 03:41:43 PM »

I hope one day, Bachmann would get the license to make Thomas products in Williams O scale. We may only get one engine a year, but still would be neat. Obviously, they would start with Thomas, Percy, and James. Maybe Gordon and Henry are possible in this scale. Eventually, they would also make Toby, Emily, Bill & Ben, Mavis, Edward, etc.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 03:45:38 PM by TrainFan97 » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 80 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: