STORE
"ASK THE BACH MAN"
FORUM
PARTS, SERVICE,
& INFORMATION
CATALOGS AND
BROCHURES

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 25, 2019, 12:29:51 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Check out the photo gallery link above or >click here< to see photos of recently announced products!
+  Bachmann Message Board
|-+  Discussion Boards
| |-+  Thomas & Friends
| | |-+  The Everything Thomas Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 81 Print
Author Topic: The Everything Thomas Thread  (Read 350990 times)
Jacob Wilson
« Reply #120 on: November 07, 2015, 03:44:20 PM »

Personally I'd be a lot happier with a new N scale Thomas range over O gauge personally.  I used to model in N and I still have all of my Tomix models in storage somewhere.  Unlike Lionel I am fairly confident that we won't see any Tomix products from that range anytime soon, despite Gordon and Edward being announced but never making it in production.  It's in some ways more likely than an O gauge range too since even though Lionel hasn't introduced too many new products, they are still holding onto the license and still making the products that are currently in their catalog.  As far as I'm aware, Tomix hasn't done this for a long time, hence why the products from that range are so expensive and hard to find on eBay.  It wouldn't surprise me if Tomix didn't have that license anymore and kept quiet about it.

Not another Gauge and Manufacturer. I think N Gauge for a Thomas & Friends Model Railway range is too small, especially for children. I think it is a silly Gauge really for Thomas & Friends.

Like I said earlier, the hobby of model-railroading isn't strictly for children, even their Thomas range.  Tomix produced the models in Japan, and N scale products are a lot more popular over there than they are in the US and UK, despite some of the N scale products selling in both of those areas.  Some products never made it to either of those locations, including Percy.  

Hopefully one day we can see an N scale range as I said before it will be a great stepping stone for people to get into the hobby.  The HO, large scale, and even the narrow gauge range are all encouraging people to get into the hobby!  

I know that the Thomas & Friends ranges in Model Railways is not strictly for children, but it helps to get children into the hobby starting with Thomas & Friends Locomotives, Rolling Stock and Buildings to build an Island of Sodor, and then it also gives them more inspiration to go on and build something bigger that could be more realistic as well in the future, as they get older.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 03:47:21 PM by Jacob Wilson » Logged
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 07, 2015, 07:50:39 PM »

On a completely different note, the Bachmann Toad is available for preorder at Tower Hobbies and Hobby Linc and both sites say he is shipping in mid-December, at the same time as Skarloey and the stock.  If this is true, hopefully we will be able to see a picture of him soon!  No sign of Oliver, but I do remember that Doug did mention to me that Toad might be out before Oliver since his tooling is available from the mainline range.  Either way, I am surprised that he might be making it out so soon! 

I already placed my order on him. Smiley
Jacob Wilson
« Reply #122 on: November 07, 2015, 07:58:37 PM »

On a completely different note, the Bachmann Toad is available for preorder at Tower Hobbies and Hobby Linc and both sites say he is shipping in mid-December, at the same time as Skarloey and the stock.  If this is true, hopefully we will be able to see a picture of him soon!  No sign of Oliver, but I do remember that Doug did mention to me that Toad might be out before Oliver since his tooling is available from the mainline range.  Either way, I am surprised that he might be making it out so soon! 

I already placed my order on him. Smiley

I wonder if Bachmann Toad will be based on before the Thomas & Friends TV Series turned into CGI animation, or the current CGI version. I wonder what Toad's Reccommend Retail Price will be.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 07, 2015, 08:14:10 PM »

Toad's retail price will be $37, but his price is $25 at HobbyLinc. 

Source: http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/bac/bac77019.htm
AJW98Productions

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 07, 2015, 08:50:24 PM »

Personally I'd be a lot happier with a new N scale Thomas range over O gauge personally.  I used to model in N and I still have all of my Tomix models in storage somewhere.  Unlike Lionel I am fairly confident that we won't see any Tomix products from that range anytime soon, despite Gordon and Edward being announced but never making it in production.  It's in some ways more likely than an O gauge range too since even though Lionel hasn't introduced too many new products, they are still holding onto the license and still making the products that are currently in their catalog.  As far as I'm aware, Tomix hasn't done this for a long time, hence why the products from that range are so expensive and hard to find on eBay.  It wouldn't surprise me if Tomix didn't have that license anymore and kept quiet about it.

Like I said earlier, the hobby of model-railroading isn't strictly for children, even their Thomas range.  Tomix produced the models in Japan, and N scale products are a lot more popular over there than they are in the US and UK, despite some of the N scale products selling in both of those areas.  Some products never made it to either of those locations, including Percy.
Did Percy really never reach the US side of the Pacific and the Atlantic (and the Atlantic for mainland UK)? Because I know I saw one in a local hobby store a few years ago, granted I guess Australia is probably closer to Japan in the Pacific, than mainland US, and also closer to Australia than mainland UK, but I'm still surprised he never made it to the UK or US. It really is a royal shame Tomix dropped the ball on producing Edward and Gordon, many fans would've gotten them in a heartbeat, I may have even gotten the rang if those 2 were in it, possibly to run even on an N scale layout of my own, or down at my local club's (the latter being more likely than the former). Perhaps Tomix did lose the license and that's why they stopped producing (?), but then again I have limited understanding of how licensing works so I could be completely wrong. Here's hoping that another company will pick up the N gauge license for Thomas products now, I'd suggest BACHMANN, but with the Skarloey Railway range being a narrow gauge but designed to run on N gauge tracks, I get the feeling seeing standard gauge engines at the same size could confuse potential buyers for their children or themselves etc. But I am aware that these ranges aren't all about children etc and older fans would have a better understanding of things. But BACHMANN could pick up the liscence to produce standard gauge stock in N gauge, I mean it wouldn't be the first time they surprised us, the Skarloey range itself was a massive shock and I think people were surprised when they started producing in Large Scale too.
Just my two cents though
~Alex
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 05:55:46 AM by AJW98Productions » Logged
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 07, 2015, 09:11:05 PM »

Did Percy really never reach the US side of the Pacific and the Atlantic, or just the Atlantic for the mainland UK? Because I know I saw one in a local hobby store a few years ago, granted I guess Australia is probably closer to Japan in the Pacific, than mainland US, and also closer to Australia than mainland UK, but I'm still surprised he never made it to the UK or US.

Percy was only released in Japan, but some sites like ebay had him listed and I think some other shops that ordered models from Japan had him before too.  The hobby shop you just mentioned might have been one of them too.  They also never made an English Tomy packaging for Percy like they did for Thomas, James, and Henry.  

Perhaps Tomix did lose the liscence and that's why they stopped producing (?), but then again I have limited understanding of how liscencing works so I could be completely wrong.

That is entirely possible, but I can't say I know for sure unless another company like Bachmann buys the rights and if they did they would keep quiet until they were to announce a new range, much like what they did for large scale.

Here's hoping that another company will pick up the N gauge liscence for Thomas products now, I'd suggest BACHMANN, but with the Skarloey Railway range being a narrow gauge but designed to run on N gauge tracks, I get the feeling seeing standard gauge engines at the same size could confuse potential buyers for their children or themselves etc. But I am aware that these ranges aren't all about children etc and older fans would have a better understanding of things. But BACHMANN could pick up the liscence to produce standard gauge stock in N gauge, I mean it wouldn't be the first time they surprised us, the Skarloey range itself was a massive shock and I think people were surprised when they started producing in Large Scale too.

I personally don't think the Skarloey range would interfere with them producing an N scale range if Bachmann had the rights for making N scale models.  Bachmann even seemed to be very clear from the beginning that the Skarloey models are HO models that run on N scale track (otherwise known as HOe/OO9).  I can't imagine that it would be that complicated for both older and younger fans to figure out if this were to happen.  
AJW98Productions

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 07, 2015, 09:20:08 PM »

I personally don't think the Skarloey range would interfere with them producing an N scale range if Bachmann had the rights for making N scale models.  Bachmann even seemed to be very clear from the beginning that the Skarloey models are HO models that run on N scale track (otherwise known as HOe/OO9).  I can't imagine that it would be that complicated for both older and younger fans to figure out if this were to happen.  
Fair enough, I do think I read a while back in the old Everything Thomas Thread that BACHMANN did want to expand into as many other gauges as they could. Do you (or anyone else for that matter, this is an open question) think BACHMANN could pick up the rights to N scale standard gauge stock if Tomix have actually dropped them? Personally I think an N gauge Thomas range would have a lot of potential if BACHMANN were to produce one.

~Alex
TrainFan97

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 07, 2015, 10:02:42 PM »

I for one would be interested in Bachmann getting the license to produce the Standard Gauge engines in N scale too! Maybe they would get metal bodies like the Narrow Gauge engines, so they could be heavier. Gordon, Henry, and Spencer could be made in that scale for sure.

I don't really care for Chuggington, and I don't wish to see the show, but I think it would be interesting if Bachmann were to have the rights to produce a Chugginton range for N scale as well. The O scale range is limited. The HO scale range did well so far.

Like the Bach-man said before, the Chuggington range does not affect the Thomas range. Just something to go alongside. I think both franchises deserve an N scale range. Hopefully, we'll get a Thomas one.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 01:12:04 AM by TrainFan97 » Logged
Metal

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 08, 2015, 02:43:00 AM »

Model trains is a diminished hobby (if not, dying). Thomas is particularly the only thing that's keeping the interest alive, nowadays.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 02:46:42 AM by Nykrivas » Logged
AJW98Productions

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 08, 2015, 02:48:39 AM »

Model trains is a diminished hobby (if not, dying).
Honestly, the saddest part about that is I can wholeheartedly agree, the same can actually be said for a lot of hobbies like model trains in all honesty. It's a right shame :/
~Alex
Jacob Wilson
« Reply #130 on: November 08, 2015, 03:18:00 AM »

Toad's retail price will be $37, but his price is $25 at HobbyLinc. 

Source: http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/bac/bac77019.htm

Sounds expensive! No surprise there!
Jacob Wilson
« Reply #131 on: November 08, 2015, 03:22:23 AM »

I for one would be interested in Bachmann getting the license to produce the Standard Gauge engines in N scale too! Maybe they would get metal bodies like the Narrow Gauge engines, so they could be heavier. Gordon, Henry, and Spencer could be made in that scale for sure.

I don't really care for Chuggington, and I don't wish to see the show, but I think it would be interesting if Bachmann were to have the rights to produce a Chugginton range for N scale as well. The O scale range is limited. The HO scale range did well so far.

Like the Bach-man said before, the Chuggington range does not affect the Thomas range. Just something to go alongside. I think both franchises deserve an N scale range. Hopefully, we'll get a Thomas one.

There does not appear to be much choice though in the Bachmann Chuggington HO range either. All of the current products where released back in 2013 and that was it. For the Chuggington range to stay popular just like the Thomas & Friends ranges are, some new products need to be released.
Jacob Wilson
« Reply #132 on: November 08, 2015, 03:26:48 AM »

Model trains is a diminished hobby (if not, dying). Thomas is particularly the only thing that's keeping the interest alive, nowadays.

Model trains is a diminished hobby (if not, dying).
Honestly, the saddest part about that is I can wholeheartedly agree, the same can actually be said for a lot of hobbies like model trains in all honesty. It's a right shame :/
~Alex

I wouldn't say that Model Railway interest are dying in the UK. Maybe it is in the USA (I am not sure as I have never been), but I hate to Bachmann, Hornby, etc get shut down!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 04:16:24 AM by Jacob Wilson » Logged
AJW98Productions

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 08, 2015, 03:44:18 AM »

Jacob, just a piece of advice here, sorry if it sounds rude, this is meant to sound polite, but after you quote one post, you can begin writing your post, and then use the "Insert Quote" button, to add extra quotes to one reply, that way you can add more quotes to your post, and it causes less clutter. You can do this by scrolling down from the box where you begin writing your reply.
Just a helpful suggestion.
~Alex
Jacob Wilson
« Reply #134 on: November 08, 2015, 04:14:53 AM »

Jacob, just a piece of advice here, sorry if it sounds rude, this is meant to sound polite, but after you quote one post, you can begin writing your post, and then use the "Insert Quote" button, to add extra quotes to one reply, that way you can add more quotes to your post, and it causes less clutter. You can do this by scrolling down from the box where you begin writing your reply.
Just a helpful suggestion.
~Alex

OK, sorry Alex. I hope I haven't offended you in anyway.

Jacob Wilson.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 04:18:02 AM by Jacob Wilson » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 81 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: