STORE
"ASK THE BACH MAN"
FORUM
PARTS, SERVICE,
& INFORMATION
CATALOGS AND
BROCHURES

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2019, 05:29:19 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<
+  Bachmann Message Board
|-+  Discussion Boards
| |-+  Thomas & Friends
| | |-+  The Everything Thomas Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 81 Print
Author Topic: The Everything Thomas Thread  (Read 349351 times)
Jacob Wilson
« Reply #150 on: November 09, 2015, 03:52:01 AM »

I guess it's from the recent train shows I've been to. They've seemed to be a bit lack. I've talked to some of the people running the stalls and they've said the the same thing. Probably last year wasn't a good year in my area. I live in California. It's hard of me not to be cynical at times.
I've seen similar things unfortunately, also my local model railway club, which I am a ember of is having (financially anyway) one of its worst years on record. There's a huge train show here in Perth that they used to run every year, but now may only be run once every two years because it doesn't make as much money as it used to. So I may be with Nykrivas, to an extent, in the cynical department. Aside from this though, back on topic (even though this is only really slightly off topic to begin with). To anyone who saw Skarloey's prototype earlier this year or has good images of it, is the face CGI or model era? And what of the bodywork too, for that matter?

I agree, it will be nice to know what Skarloey's face will be. I would prefer it from the model era myself, rather than from the CGI Animation.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 09, 2015, 04:14:57 AM »

I guess it's from the recent train shows I've been to. They've seemed to be a bit lack. I've talked to some of the people running the stalls and they've said the the same thing. Probably last year wasn't a good year in my area. I live in California. It's hard of me not to be cynical at times.
I've seen similar things unfortunately, also my local model railway club, which I am a ember of is having (financially anyway) one of its worst years on record. There's a huge train show here in Perth that they used to run every year, but now may only be run once every two years because it doesn't make as much money as it used to. So I may be with Nykrivas, to an extent, in the cynical department.

I honestly disagree with both of you on the idea that the hobby of model trains is "dying" when it clearly isn't.  If it were, Bachmann and other ranges wouldn't be making anymore models, and there would be a lot less train shows in other areas.  It might be weaker in your areas, but from what I'm seeing from shows in my area as well as other train show videos I've seen online, they seem to be still be going on strong.  Even my dad went to a train show in Italy this summer and he said it was very packed over there too.  I personally think the key difference here could just be a location issue or maybe even a timing issue, but to say that the hobby as a whole is "dying" really is an exaggeration.  

To anyone who saw Skarloey's prototype earlier this year or has good images of it, is the face CGI or model era? And what of the bodywork too, for that matter?

Skarloey will have a CGI face, and the body work is mostly based on CGI too with the rivet patterns matching the real Talyllyn.  
Jacob Wilson
« Reply #152 on: November 09, 2015, 04:32:16 AM »

I've seen similar things unfortunately, also my local model railway club, which I am a ember of is having (financially anyway) one of its worst years on record. There's a huge train show here in Perth that they used to run every year, but now may only be run once every two years because it doesn't make as much money as it used to. So I may be with Nykrivas, to an extent, in the cynical department.

I honestly disagree with both of you on the idea that the hobby of model trains is "dying" when it clearly isn't.  If it were, Bachmann and other ranges wouldn't be making anymore models, and there would be a lot less train shows in other areas.  It might be weaker in your areas, but from what I'm seeing from shows in my area as well as other train show videos I've seen online, they seem to be still be going on strong.  Even my dad went to a train show in Italy this summer and he said it was very packed over there too.  I personally think the key difference here could just be a location issue or maybe even a timing issue, but to say that the hobby as a whole is "dying" really is an exaggeration.  

To anyone who saw Skarloey's prototype earlier this year or has good images of it, is the face CGI or model era? And what of the bodywork too, for that matter?

Skarloey will have a CGI face, and the body work is mostly based on CGI too with the rivet patterns matching the real Talyllyn.  

I agree, Model Railway's are not dying. Last year, I went to the The Warley National Model Railway Exhibition which is a very popular yearly Model Railway Exhibition in Birmingham at The NEC in the UK, and inside you could hardly move with people. Before the doors opened, people where almost standing on each other on massive queues, and it was the same story inside. I am going again to this years which is in about 2 or 3 weeks time! I can't wait!
TrainFan97

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 09, 2015, 03:59:32 PM »

I would love Bachmann getting the license to produce the Standard Gauge engines in N scale. We may still only get one engine a year. Hopefully, they can start out with three engines, being Thomas, Percy, and James, just like HO scale. All the engines should be CGI style, like Large scale. Maybe, they can have metal bodies for added weight, like the Narrow Gauge engines.

What do you think of this? Also, new thread:
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,30977.new.html#new

I'm always nervous when I start new threads.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 04:15:46 PM by TrainFan97 » Logged
Jacob Wilson
« Reply #154 on: November 09, 2015, 04:20:06 PM »

I would love Bachmann getting the license to produce the Standard Gauge engines in N scale. We may still only get one engine a year. Hopefully, they can start out with three engines, being Thomas, Percy, and James, just like HO scale. All the engines should be CGI style, like Large scale. Maybe, they can have metal bodies for added weight, like the Narrow Gauge engines.

What do you think of this? Also, new thread:
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,30977.new.html#new

I'm always nervous when I start new threads.

Don't be nervous. I was thinking just a few hours that the Disscussion about new Bachmann Thomas & Friends Gauges was causing a bit of a stir, so it should have it's own Disscusssion thread, and is not cluttering up other Discussions that are about other topics and making them look messy and confusing for other Users.
Metal

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 09, 2015, 06:59:37 PM »

Follow up on my last post.
I guess I was just being cynical. But at the same time, I've been debating myself whether I should quit my Thomas interest. But it seems that I can't get rid of something that's been cemented in me.

Moving on now. I don't know what the big deal is with Skarloey having a CGI face, or being based off his CGI render. His CGI face is hardly different and I think his CGI render is beautifully designed with all those extra details.
Jacob Wilson
« Reply #156 on: November 09, 2015, 07:06:14 PM »

Follow up on my last post.
I guess I was just being cynical. But at the same time, I've been debating myself whether I should quit my Thomas interest. But it seems that I can't get rid of something that's been cemented in me.

Moving on now. I don't know what the big deal is with Skarloey having a CGI face, or being based off his CGI render. His CGI face is hardly different and I think his CGI render is beautifully designed with all those extra details.

I don't think I will ever give up my Thomas interest.

It does matter, because it is do with the style Skarloey will look like. Skarloey looking like the classic model Seroes would be better.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 09, 2015, 09:05:04 PM »

Personally I'm happy enough that Bachmann made Skarloey altogether, regardless of design and face choice. 

I think because of the Bachmann Skarloey's design and how detailed it is, it will not only be popular with Thomas fans but it will especially be popular with OO9 modelers who want to convert Skarloey into a model of Talyllyn.  Even some of my friends who don't model in Thomas are buying it for that reason alone. 
AJW98Productions

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 10, 2015, 12:32:17 AM »

Personally I'm happy enough that Bachmann made Skarloey altogether, regardless of design and face choice. 

I think because of the Bachmann Skarloey's design and how detailed it is, it will not only be popular with Thomas fans but it will especially be popular with OO9 modelers who want to convert Skarloey into a model of Talyllyn.  Even some of my friends who don't model in Thomas are buying it for that reason alone. 
I agree, in fact I even believe Talyllyn was just this year repainted into a new colour scheme (or color scheme, if you prefer), that very closely matches the colour of Skarloey, meaning conversion would also now be easier than ever, and I also very much agree on that point, I'm sure OO9 modelers would be ecstatic to have an easy Talyllyn kitbash.

~Alex
TrainFan97

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 13, 2015, 03:49:40 PM »

For next year in HO scale, we'll most likely get Paxton or Daisy. I'd welcome either.
Jacob Wilson
« Reply #160 on: November 13, 2015, 04:18:15 PM »

For next year in HO scale, we'll most likely get Paxton or Daisy. I'd welcome either.

I would love to get both of these, especially Dasiy; But how do you know that we will most likely get Daisy and / or Paxton released in 2016?
TrainFan97

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 13, 2015, 04:26:07 PM »

I'm only guessing. Those are the most talked about.
Cheeky_ULP

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 13, 2015, 04:27:52 PM »

Paxton has been in the older fans approval for a long time, and he would simply be a repaint of the Diesel tooling.

Daisy returned to the show recently in CGI, she would stick to the Gullane era characters (which the HO range has done so far), and she would be a fairly simple tooling to do.
Jacob Wilson
« Reply #163 on: November 13, 2015, 04:45:12 PM »

Paxton has been in the older fans approval for a long time, and he would simply be a repaint of the Diesel tooling.

Daisy returned to the show recently in CGI, she would stick to the Gullane era characters (which the HO range has done so far), and she would be a fairly simple tooling to do.

I agree, actually. Paxton would be a repainted version of Diesel, 'Arry and Bert with a different face.

As for Daisy, I expect that the tooling for her would be in the Bachmann Branch-Line (UK), so I am sure Bachmann Trains (USA) would be able to get their hands on it, to release Dasiy!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 05:21:04 PM by Jacob Wilson » Logged
Metal

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 14, 2015, 12:53:03 PM »

Close up of Skarloey

It looks amazing!!!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 81 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: