STORE
"ASK THE BACH MAN"
FORUM
PARTS, SERVICE,
& INFORMATION
CATALOGS AND
BROCHURES

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 17, 2019, 10:13:37 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Check out the photo gallery link above or >click here< to see photos of recently announced products!
+  Bachmann Message Board
|-+  Discussion Boards
| |-+  Thomas & Friends
| | |-+  The Everything Thomas Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 80 Print
Author Topic: The Everything Thomas Thread  (Read 340021 times)
Jacob Wilson
« Reply #225 on: December 03, 2015, 12:08:02 PM »

As for me, I hope to get Salty. I know he's been discontinued individually, but who knows? Maybe Amazon or eBay have individual models? But also, I hope to get Troublesome Trucks #3 and #4, since I don't have them yet.

There are still a few shops that I've seen that have Salty still in stock, so fortunately you should be able to find him. My local hobby shop still has him too, but only one left. I would check Wholesale Trains since they still have him for the cheapest price I've found online. Compared to some of the other products Bachmann have been discontinued, Salty is one of the easier ones to still find even without his set.

Why has Bachmann Salty been discontinued? I am surprised really as I thought he is one of Bachmann's most popular Thomas & Friends Locomotives. Where Bachmann not selling enough of them? Is that why they have discontinued Salty?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 12:09:40 PM by Jacob Wilson » Logged
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 03, 2015, 05:16:48 PM »

Bachmann usually discontinues products for one of two reasons.  One of them is sometimes models become too expensive to produce since prices increase every year for Bachmann.  The other is there could be a lack of sales for said product that would make Bachmann's marketing team not willing to continue to produce the model.  Sometimes it can also be a mix of both.  In Salty's case I would probably say it was the ladder, since compared to engines like Emily, Mavis, and even Bill and Ben, Salty's sales were somewhat minimal.  Even I wasn't interested in picking up Salty until much later after he was released.    

Fortunately, he still has his set available, and it seems that everything aside from the raspberry syrup tank and oval of track are all now only available in that set.  This could potentially increase sales for that set once the Salty model becomes harder to find.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 05:21:56 PM by Chaz » Logged
Jacob Wilson
« Reply #227 on: December 03, 2015, 06:46:48 PM »

Bachmann usually discontinues products for one of two reasons. One of them is sometimes models become too expensive to produce since prices increase every year for Bachmann. The other is there could be a lack of sales for said product that would make Bachmann's marketing team not willing to continue to produce the model. Sometimes it can also be a mix of both. In Salty's case I would probably say it was the ladder, since compared to engines like Emily, Mavis, and even Bill and Ben, Salty's sales were somewhat minimal. Even I wasn't interested in picking up Salty until much later after he was released.    

Fortunately, he still has his set available, and it seems that everything aside from the Raspberry Syrup Tanker and oval of track are all now only available in that set. This could potentially increase sales for that set once the Salty model becomes harder to find.

If Bachmann found Salty was expensive to produce, shouldn't they just put the RRP tag up? At least doing this keeps Salty in production, of even of it does make him too expensive, like he was before he was discontinued.

Also, with Bachmann potentially finding Salty expensive to produce, which could be a reason why he has been discontinued, why wouldn't Salty's Dockside Delivery Train Set be discontinued as well? The price of Salty to produce would cost Bachmann the same, whether he is sold separately or in a Train Set.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 07:45:35 PM by Jacob Wilson » Logged
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 03, 2015, 09:02:54 PM »

If Bachmann found Salty was expensive to produce, shouldn't they just put the RRP tag up? At least doing this keeps Salty in production, of even of it does make him too expensive, like he was before he was discontinued.

That's not how production works with Bachmann.  If something is too expensive for them to produce and not as many people are buying the model, why would they bother to keep making it?  If people are also barely buying that particular model, why would Bachmann want to continue to produce it when sales are so minimal?  It would hurt Bachmann's production team if they were doing that.  Bachmann would much rather spend that money on producing a new character in the range that people would buy, like Oliver, rather than just keep making the same products that not that many people would continue to buy.  

Also, with Bachmann potentially finding Salty expensive to produce, which could be a reason why he has been discontinued, why wouldn't Salty's Dockside Delivery Train Set be discontinued as well? The price of Salty to produce would cost Bachmann the same, whether he is sold separately or in a Train Set.

I didn't say that was why Salty specifically would be discontinued, it would more likely be because not that many people bought Salty compared to some of the other models.  Models usually get discontinued for one of the two reasons I mentioned earlier, which in this case would more likely be the Salty model not selling as well compared to the others.  The set is probably still there because some people might still be buying the set, even though sets that have Thomas in it are a lot more popular.  
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 09:20:15 PM by Chaz » Logged
Jacob Wilson
« Reply #229 on: December 04, 2015, 03:30:34 PM »

That's not how production works with Bachmann. If something is too expensive for them to produce and not as many people are buying the model, why would they bother to keep making it? If people are also barely buying that particular model, why would Bachmann want to continue to produce it when sales are so minimal? It would hurt Bachmann's production team if they were doing that. Bachmann would much rather spend that money on producing a new character in the range that people would buy, like Oliver, rather than just keep making the same products that not that many people would continue to buy.  

I didn't say that was why Salty specifically would be discontinued, it would more likely be because not that many people bought Salty compared to some of the other models.  Models usually get discontinued for one of the two reasons I mentioned earlier, which in this case would more likely be the Salty model not selling as well compared to the others. The set is probably still there because some people might still be buying the set, even though sets that have Thomas in it are a lot more popular.  

I see what you are saying, but future collectors who do not have Salty, who might want him, will not be able to get him then in the future.

I know you didn't say it specifically why Salty was discontinued; I continued on as your example as the reason for his discontinuation from Bachmannn.

Off course a Train Set that contains Thomas would be more popular, as it starts you off with the No. 1 Tank Engine and it starts people off with thier collection generally. I am surprised that Salty's Dockside Delivery Trian Set is still in production, whilst Salty sold seperately (58804) has been discontinued.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 08, 2015, 04:54:58 PM »

Just found out that Skarloey will be shipping next week via Bachmann sales rep, just in time for Christmas.  The two red vans my dad also ordered are also shipping right now from Hobby Linc.   

Only downside is Toad coming out earlier than 2016 is sadly a false alarm.  But at least his retail price is confirmed and a few other shops are currently accepting orders for him before Oliver.
Jacob Wilson
« Reply #231 on: December 08, 2015, 07:04:14 PM »

Just found out that Skarloey will be shipping next week via Bachmann sales rep, just in time for Christmas.  The two red vans my dad also ordered are also shipping right now from Hobby Linc.   

Only downside is Toad coming out earlier than 2016 is sadly a false alarm. But at least his retail price is confirmed and a few other shops are currently accepting orders for him before Oliver.

I will be getting Skarloey in the new year (2016) then. Does anybody know when 77018 Mail Car - Green is due for release? This what I am looking forward to the most, until I get time to build my Narrow Gauge layout, then I can start buying Skarloey and the Narrow Gauge Rolling Stock at somepoint, next year (2016).
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 08, 2015, 07:23:41 PM »

The green mail car should be out by sometime this month too, I don't know the exact date on that one.
Jacob Wilson
« Reply #233 on: December 08, 2015, 07:40:30 PM »

The green mail car should be out by sometime this month too, I don't know the exact date on that one.

I will be definatly be getting the Mail Car - Green when it becomes available for UK supplier for the Bachmann Thomas & Friends HO Range. I will be Pre-Ordering x2 of them. I hope it looks as good as the prototype picture!
Thomasfan39

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 08, 2015, 09:44:05 PM »

Only downside is Toad coming out earlier than 2016 is sadly a false alarm.  But at least his retail price is confirmed and a few other shops are currently accepting orders for him before Oliver.

Chaz, how much will toad cost and what hobby stores are going to stick him?
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 08, 2015, 10:33:37 PM »

Toad's retail price is $37.00.

And I am certain a handful will have him when he is out, but a few shops already have him listed for preorder.  Some include Hobby Linc, Tower Hobbies, and Walthers.
Titanic5972

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 09, 2015, 12:01:40 AM »

Is there actually a green mail coach on the show? I have never seen one.
AJW98Productions

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 09, 2015, 07:01:09 AM »

It can be seen in a few of the classic seasons, albeit heavily weathered, I think I picked up on one in the background of "Pop Goes The Diesel"...if memory serves me correctly...
~Alex
Jacob Wilson
« Reply #238 on: December 09, 2015, 01:00:32 PM »

It can be seen in a few of the classic seasons, albeit heavily weathered, I think I picked up on one in the background of "Pop Goes The Diesel"...if memory serves me correctly...
~Alex

The Green Mail Coach is in Series 4 Episode 12 Steam Roller. Thomas is pulling it next too Sir Handel who is parked up at the sheds. You have to watch it very carefully to notice it.
AJW98Productions

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 10, 2015, 12:24:17 PM »

I believe it was a few months ago in the old Everything Thomas topic where I gave some thoughts on "The Adventure Begins" and quickly panned it for not making sense in a few "real life" senses (eg, a fictional hybrid LBSC + SR livery that a shunter like Thomas never would have had), or that it didn't completely stick to the Railway Series or even TV series continuities. As members may recall, I quickly withdrew my comments and promised to give the special a fair go...and how do I view it now...well it's good, and the ending made me tear up a little, but mainly from the realisation that, yes the franchise is now 70 years old, tears of content and some happiness, plus many happy memories of the Railway Series and TV series were behind that.

My honest thoughts are a little jumbled, and in all honesty I admit I care about the continuity too much, retcon is I guess acceptable post-season 7 as many characters seemed to have HUGE personality retcons at that time anyway, so it was nice to see the characters all retained their original personalities for the most part, though granted all but Edward seemed subject to a touch of flanderization, which especially in Gordon's case did irk me slightly, but it wasn't a massive problem for me. My biggest issues really just stem from two areas:
1. Henry, they completely skip over the fact that he was rebuilt, perhaps in this new retcon, his accident happened earlier (?) or maybe they just didn't want children to be confused as to why Henry looked different (I'm assuming the latter, but I'd still like to assume Henry's accident still happens in this new retcon, the episode that episode took place in is one of the many gems from Season 1 that I absolutely adore).
2. "Created by Britt Alcroft" appears in the opening credits, yes I know that is minor, but let's not forget that this was an anniversary special and it still to this day irks me every time I see that in the opening credits.
BUT...I said I would give this special a fair go, and I did enjoy it overall, I completely agree with what members like ThomasJ219 said when they mentioned it was far better quality than most, if not all episodes between seasons 9 and 16 (and in my opinion most episodes post season 6, and a some episodes in season 6 too), so with that said...
My personal favourite addition to the original story in this special is when The Fat Controller/Sir Topham Hatt reprimand both Thomas AND Edward for the events of "Thomas And The Trucks", in neither the Railway Series, nor TV Series was it ever mentioned that Edward received any blame for the events that happened, and given his hand (or buffer I should say Wink ) in the events that happen (whilst unintentional) should still be of concern, the special gets many points for that...and having James in a black livery, I think that was a lovely reference to the Railway Series. I also appreciated the use of the Red coaches on mainline trains instead of all express coaches, but at the same time I find it paradoxical, given the size of Gordon's express now, but regular mainline trains are shortened to only a few coaches long...I'm sorry but that does slightly bother me.
Annie and Clarabel in the yard and as James's coaches for a while was (in my opinion) a wonderful idea, as it fleshes out their personalities and to me at least, adds some slight dimension to their relationship with Thomas, instead of feeling almost like 2D cardboard cut-outs of characters like they can feel A LOT in some episodes.
Whilst some of the foreshadowing in the special is...oh so less than subtle *cough* WOODEN BRAKE BLOCKS *cough* there are moments that I believe allude to "James And The Coaches" (in my opinion, another good episode from Season 1), with James being a little to rough with Annie and Clarabel, I also like that since the Orange/Tan Branchline Coaches were the coaches he had the accident with in that episode in Season 1, and are the same basic paint scheme as Annie and Clarabel (heck in the original episode, the last two coaches WERE Annie and Clarabel, just with their names removed), it seems to much more subtly foreshadow that episode, and it's that kind of more subtle foreshadowing that I enjoy...

Of course, there is much more to the special than this, and I think it serves its purpose well as an anniversary piece, not perfect, but certainly not horrible, in fact rather quite good, at worst it deserves a 7/10, at best, I'd say around a 9/10, possibly even a 10/10, the writing truly is such an improvement and breath of fresh air, I enjoy some of the additions they've made, some of the changes I like and dislike at the same time, some I'm indifferent to. But as I loved the original episodes and stories the special was based off of, it is hard to ignore the fact, that it is a relatively faithful retelling of those stories, without trying to be those stories entirely, and also add something new, along with new depth and creativity, even my two aforementioned irks aren't even all that bad...so I really can't bash it for that, I haven't seen "Sodor's Legend Of The Lost Treasure" and I need to rewatch "Blue Mountain Mystery", but in my opinion, this is not only the best special/movie the Thomas franchise has ever seen, but this is also some of the greatest retelling I think I've ever seen, the writers obviously had a great care for the source material, just like us fans do. It's a great nostalgia trip and I feel it does it's job as the stories we all know and love, with some creative licensing given to its production staff. A special and a half, I cannot recommend it enough, it's not perfect but no special is. I know I fixated on continuity earlier, but I decided to look at it as something new,  a new take on stories that I have always loved, and it made me realise just how stupidly bold and irrational my earlier statements on continuity were...which I must now apologise for even more profusely than I already have, and I cannot thank the writing team enough for one of the best anniversary gifts the TV series could have ever received.
As ever, best wishes;
~Alex
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 01:39:48 PM by AJW98Productions » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 80 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: