STORE
"ASK THE BACH MAN"
FORUM
PARTS, SERVICE,
& INFORMATION
CATALOGS AND
BROCHURES

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 25, 2019, 01:58:12 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Check out the photo gallery link above or >click here< to see photos of recently announced products!
+  Bachmann Message Board
|-+  Discussion Boards
| |-+  Thomas & Friends
| | |-+  The Everything Thomas Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 86 Print
Author Topic: The Everything Thomas Thread  (Read 377926 times)
Griffin

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: December 15, 2015, 06:23:23 PM »

Ah, how nice to be back on the Bachmann Thomas forums again!  Wink

Anyway, I haven't really been on here since the Thomas Wooden Railway bug bit me in August 2014 and I never looked back at Bachmann, but after some thought I have realised my heart belongs to Bachmann Tongue,  I am rebuilding my collection one engine and rolling stock at a time-- what a struggle! The prices on Amazon are CRAZY! What happened to $12 US for Troublesome Truck #1?

Out of curiosity, where do you all shop for your engines? Amazon obviously is the most convenient for me what with the free two-day shipping and all, but the prices are getting higher and higher and maybe S&H fees and some patience might be worth some lower prices... Roll Eyes
-Griffin
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 04:36:53 PM by Griffin » Logged

Waiting for Bachmann Stepney...
Jacob Wilson
« Reply #241 on: December 15, 2015, 06:58:03 PM »

Ah, how nice to be back on the Bachmann Thomas forums again!  Wink

Anyway, I haven't really been on here since the Thomas Wooden Railway bug bit me in August 2014 and I never looked back at Bachmann, but after some thought I have realised my heart belongs to these super-TV-accurate model trains  Tongue, and now I have found once again that Bachmann Thomas has the most appeal to me. I am rebuilding my collection one engine and rolling stock at a time-- what a struggle! The prices on Amazon are CRAZY! What happened to $12 US for Troublesome Truck #1 back in 2012??

Out of curiosity, where do you all shop for your engines? Amazon obviously is the most convenient for me what with the free two-day shipping and all, but the prices are getting higher and higher and maybe S&H fees and some patience might be worth some lower prices... Roll Eyes

Anyway, to anyone who cares, yes I am back (what? you left?  Wink ) and ready to dive head-first back into model trains!

-R

P.S.- Wooden Thomas trains chip easily, are way too expensive, and can be more tedious than you might think-- hence why I am back...  Wink

It's nice to have another Thomas & Friends Fan join the Bachmann Forums again.

Just out curiosity and interest, what made you go from Model Railways too Wooden Railway, back to Model Railways again, RyanGNR?

Well, I am United Kingdom resident, so I am only limited to one specific website called The Diesel Works that supplies the UK residents of the Bachmann Thomas & Friends HO Gauge range, as it not currently licensed to be sold in the UK. Of course, there are sites such as eBay I could use, bit postage would be high for me, so I stay away from those prices.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 15, 2015, 07:18:48 PM »

The best places for me when I order products are either from modeltrainstuff.com or wholesaletrains.com.  For Skarloey and his stock I would recommend Hobbylinc.com.
Jacob Wilson
« Reply #243 on: December 15, 2015, 07:44:32 PM »

It's nice to have another Thomas & Friends Fan join the Bachmann Forums again.

Just out curiosity and interest, what made you go from Model Railways too Wooden Railway, back to Model Railways again, RyanGNR?

Well, I am United Kingdom resident, so I am only limited to one specific website called The Diesel Works that supplies the UK residents of the Bachmann Thomas & Friends HO Gauge range, as it not currently licensed to be sold in the UK. Of course, there are sites such as eBay I could use, bit postage would be high for me, so I stay away from those prices.

Kind of a long story but- I received a TWR catalog in the mail by accident and as I was browsing through it I saw some cool stuff, and I had already had a bunch of TWR stuff from storage that I had had since I was a kid, and at that point Bachmann trains and model trains in general were really becoming quite boring, but now as I mature (to the ripe age of 15  Roll Eyes) I have found that model trains intrest me more. I am actually contemplating selling my Woodens to fund my new model trains  Wink

That's very intreresting to find sombody go backwards in the quaility of the Thomas & Friends collection.

Here is my background: I am 19, and I had some Wooden Railway stuff when I was very young, but I never got into it. I found it too chunky and rubbish. I always prefered model railways, as my Dad got me into it, at a quite young age. For several years, I had a very small Hornby Thomas & Friends collection, that consisted of Thomas, Percy, Annie, Clarabel, Troublesome Truck 2, Sodor Fuel Tanker and a Brake Van. As my message says on th side, I became a collector of Thomas & Friends in Model Railways back in 2005. Since then, I have spent a ton of money on my collection, and I own almost everything Hornby has ever produced in their Thomas & Friends range. My Bachmann Thomas & Friends collection is smaller, but I have decided to keep collection based mainly off the Hornby range.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 07:46:52 PM by Jacob Wilson » Logged
Thomasfan39

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 16, 2015, 04:00:33 PM »

Has anyone noticed that the chassis for the narrow gauge rolling stock is Peco
but the rest of it is bachmann. On the bottom of the chassis it says Peco.
Jacob Wilson
« Reply #245 on: December 16, 2015, 04:50:11 PM »

Has anyone noticed that the chassis for the narrow gauge rolling stock is Peco
but the rest of it is bachmann. On the bottom of the chassis it says Peco.

Bachamnn Thomas & Friends Narrow Gauge range apparently are PECO products, re-painted by Bachmann for the Thomas & Friends range. PECO has allowed Bachmann to use their tooling for this new range.
Cheeky_ULP

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 21, 2015, 03:19:10 PM »

Just something I've been working on while waiting for Skarloey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8KG6Cnk8d4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVDjaKjkLuE
Jacob Wilson
« Reply #247 on: December 21, 2015, 05:16:03 PM »

Just something I've been working on while waiting for Skarloey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8KG6Cnk8d4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVDjaKjkLuE

You can't fool me Sparks! That's an ERTL Rusty. Several problems with that; It is not too scale and has no motor.
Cheeky_ULP

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: December 21, 2015, 05:43:34 PM »

It's actually a Bandai Plastic Rusty with a Kato motor installed. The TTTE Wikia labels them as Nakayoshi for some reason; http://ttte.wikia.com/wiki/Nakayoshi
Jacob Wilson
« Reply #249 on: December 21, 2015, 07:06:17 PM »

It's actually a Bandai Plastic Rusty with a Kato motor installed. The TTTE Wikia labels them as Nakayoshi for some reason; http://ttte.wikia.com/wiki/Nakayoshi

Oh, sorry about that. It looks the same as the ERTL one, from the pictures you posted.
AJW98Productions

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: December 23, 2015, 07:36:11 AM »

First of all, that is a very nice looking model Sparks...perhaps a little out of scale but to me anyway, it looks nice. I also like the slate wagons Rusty is pushing, if you don't mind me asking, where did you get them from or alternatively, if they were built yourself, how did you make them? Sorry for asking but I think they look nice Smiley

Also, I have a question for members who've perhaps done a better job of keeping track (no pun intended) of Thomas and his friends' recent CGI exploits, have the Narrow Gauge Engines really been seen using the kind of open wagon that has been released into Bachmann's range? I don't recall ever having seen it, but it may just have appeared in an episode of some kind I haven't seen. Also if they have been seen, what did they carry? I know two appear in standard gauge in Pop Goes the Diesel, but I don't recall seeing them elsewhere.

If anyone could point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated, as a few Google searches churned up no good results to inform me otherwise.

Thanks to anyone who can help

~Alex Smiley
Jacob Wilson
« Reply #251 on: December 23, 2015, 07:55:13 AM »

First of all, that is a very nice looking model Sparks...perhaps a little out of scale but to me anyway, it looks nice. I also like the slate wagons Rusty is pushing, if you don't mind me asking, where did you get them from or alternatively, if they were built yourself, how did you make them? Sorry for asking but I think they look nice Smiley

Also, I have a question for members who've perhaps done a better job of keeping track (no pun intended) of Thomas and his friends' recent CGI exploits, have the Narrow Gauge Engines really been seen using the kind of open wagon that has been released into Bachmann's range? I don't recall ever having seen it, but it may just have appeared in an episode of some kind I haven't seen. Also if they have been seen, what did they carry? I know two appear in standard gauge in Pop Goes the Diesel, but I don't recall seeing them elsewhere.

If anyone could point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated, as a few Google searches churned up no good results to inform me otherwise.

~Alex Smiley

I would not dream of turning a diecast toy train into model railway loco. It will always be out of scale and won't look right. I agree, Slate Trucks will be nice to have in the Narrow Gauge range, but I would rather wait and hope Bachmann will release them.

That's a good point Alex, I haven't seen that Wagon in the Narrow Gauge, before only in standard gauge as you mentioned in Pop Goes the Diesel, but those two trucks are in the wrong scale, so those do not count.
BassTbone

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: December 23, 2015, 10:27:24 AM »

~Alex Smiley

The wagons are kit-built from a site called parksidedundas.co.uk   You will look in the 9mm (OO9) section and go under Langley Models.  These kits are quite fiddly if you haven't had experience building them.  The current Bachmann NG rolling stock items have not been used by the NG engines.  The open wagon is in fact a smaller version of what was used in S2 and 3.  PECO make this kit in O-16.5 scale.  I built some myself and they scale up how they do in the show to the OO models. 
Cheeky_ULP

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: December 23, 2015, 11:42:15 AM »

~Alex Smiley
It's a little out of scale, but it's definitely one of the closest toys for a OO9 Season 4 styled Rusty, so I'm pleased with it for now. Hoping to see it compared to Skarloey at Christmas.

A small note; it's plastic, not diecast. Diecast would be even harder to cut than plastic.

The wagons were obtained second hand, I didn't assemble them. BassTbone already answered how and where you can get them. Smiley

As for the Bachmann OO9 Skarloey wagons, other members have pointed out already, but they're most often known in the classic era as the China Clay Wagons and the Fish Vans. They're based on L&BR stock.
AJW98Productions

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: December 23, 2015, 12:07:00 PM »

The wagons are kit-built from a site called parksidedundas.co.uk   You will look in the 9mm (OO9) section and go under Langley Models.  These kits are quite fiddly if you haven't had experience building them.  The current Bachmann NG rolling stock items have not been used by the NG engines.  The open wagon is in fact a smaller version of what was used in S2 and 3.  PECO make this kit in O-16.5 scale.  I built some myself and they scale up how they do in the show to the OO models.  
I must apologise for my hefty ignorance here, but since you say they (the china clay wagons) scale up, I'm assuming by that you mean they make these as kits to scale with OO models? If so I may look into some of these China Clay wagons by Peco for standard gauge further down the track (pun semi-intended).

And I like the idea of the Slate Wagon kits, even if they may be too fiddly for me, perhaps in the future if I have a layout of my own with enough room for Narrow Gauge I'll (potentially) use them if for some reason Bachmann decides not to make the tooling...but I honestly think they will...and also it will depend if I can get a little more experience on kit building in first Tongue

It's a little out of scale, but it's definitely one of the closest toys for a OO9 Season 4 styled Rusty, so I'm pleased with it for now. Hoping to see it compared to Skarloey at Christmas.

A small note; it's plastic, not diecast. Diecast would be even harder to cut than plastic.

The wagons were obtained second hand, I didn't assemble them. BassTbone already answered how and where you can get them. Smiley

As for the Bachmann OO9 Skarloey wagons, other members have pointed out already, but they're most often known in the classic era as the China Clay Wagons and the Fish Vans. They're based on L&BR stock.
Rusty is out of scale, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't impressed with your custom model there, hats off to you Sparks, I think you did a truly good job there Smiley

Thank you, the vans I had no real concern with, I recognise them from the classic series well and truly, the China Clay Wagons seem like an odd release (to me at least), considering the Narrow Gauge Engines never used them, perhaps that's just me though...in all honesty that doesn't measn they don't appeal to me though, if I can put together a layout of my own in the near enough future with some room for the Narrow Gauge engines, I already have some ideas for what to do with those trucks.

And on a completely (not) unrelated note, I am very overambitious in what I desire for model trains, but oh well Tongue it makes it all the more fun imagining I guess.

Thanks Sparks and BassTBone for all your help here, I'll be sure to keep it all in my mind whilst my brain dreams up future layout plans Tongue

~Alex Smiley
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 12:09:53 PM by AJW98Productions » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 86 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: