STORE
"ASK THE BACH MAN"
FORUM
PARTS, SERVICE,
& INFORMATION
CATALOGS AND
BROCHURES

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 17, 2019, 10:08:03 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Check out the photo gallery link above or >click here< to see photos of recently announced products!
+  Bachmann Message Board
|-+  Discussion Boards
| |-+  Thomas & Friends
| | |-+  The Everything Thomas Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 80 Print
Author Topic: The Everything Thomas Thread  (Read 340000 times)
UPTODAY

View Profile
« Reply #585 on: March 29, 2016, 01:51:43 PM »

Oliver will be her after Hillary Clinton is elected.About November 37th.
UPTODAY!!!!!!

UPTODAY
Anthony P2

this Doctor doesn't shut railways down

View Profile
« Reply #586 on: March 29, 2016, 03:30:48 PM »

Oliver will be her after Hillary Clinton is elected.About November 37th.
UPTODAY!!!!!!

I know it's a harmless joke, but just for future reference, please do not talk about politics here. this isn't a suitable forum for said topic.
UPTODAY

View Profile
« Reply #587 on: March 29, 2016, 07:32:35 PM »

HEY ANTHONYP2,SORRY ABOUT THE JOKE!,I did not realize you were a republican!!!!!!!!HAHAHA!!!!!!!
uptoday

UPTODAY
Anthony P2

this Doctor doesn't shut railways down

View Profile
« Reply #588 on: March 29, 2016, 07:47:49 PM »

Never said I was part of any political party.
UPTODAY

View Profile
« Reply #589 on: March 29, 2016, 07:56:14 PM »

ANTHONY P2,no more jokes,when do you think OLIVER will be here?Huh?
UPTODAY

UPTODAY
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #590 on: April 01, 2016, 02:42:06 PM »

To answer everyone's question, Oliver is out now!  I just got mine in the mail today and he looks really nice!  Right down to the white running board and the model face too. There is just one problem…

It's too small.
JD417

View Profile WWW
« Reply #591 on: April 01, 2016, 03:17:16 PM »

CGI scaling. That's the best thing ever, Chaz!  Cheesy Cheesy

But being 100% honest, as long as he's not completely out of scale, I could really care less what they do with Oliver, I only have one requirement in my books, he needs to have a white running board.

And also, I'm digging the proper colour Troublesome Truck #3 you got there. Tongue
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #592 on: April 16, 2016, 03:46:53 PM »

Recently I added ballast loads to some of my wagons as well as using a method from one of my friends to make the loads stay on permanently.

They passed the "Upside-down test" as you can plainly see, indicating that they are permanent.

Really happy with the final results.

I think S.C. Ruffey in particular looks a lot better with a ballast load.

I also added a permanent coal load to one of my six ton wagons.

If anyone would like to know how I did this, let me know.
Griffin

View Profile
« Reply #593 on: April 17, 2016, 10:23:14 AM »

^ I'd be interested to know...

Waiting for Bachmann Stepney...
UPTODAY

View Profile
« Reply #594 on: April 17, 2016, 05:11:03 PM »

Hey,Chaz,those are some great pics!!!!
UPTODAY!

UPTODAY
LittleWesternAdventures

View Profile
« Reply #595 on: April 17, 2016, 11:49:52 PM »

I'd definitely like to know! Also, stupid question, but what kind of wood did you use to build your layout?
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #596 on: April 18, 2016, 04:51:55 PM »

Wish granted.  So you will need the following on you for when you do this:

- A wagon of any kind (a no brainer), I'll be using the 6 ton wagon for this tutorial.
- The load you want on the wagon (in this case ballast).  Again a no brainer, most hobby shops should carry ballast.  I personally recommend the ballast from woodland scenics. This should also work just as well with coal loads too.

- rubbing alcohol.  Great for breaking down the ballast in the wagon.
- water/glue mix.  This mix is great for helping the ballast stick together after adding the rubbing alcohol Elmers glue should work just fine, try mixing it with warm water.  Make sure that you add more glue than water and mix both really well to a point where you can't see any glue at the bottom of the container you would be using for this.
- Two eye/ear droppers.  One for the water/glue and the other for rubbing alcohol.  This will be necessary for adding these to your wagon.  Make sure you don't get the droppers mixed up.

So the first thing you will want to do is to add the ballast in any way you would like onto your wagon.  I recommend doing so on a paper towel in case you spill any and can save any that fell off and put it back in the container.

Once that is taken care of, take one of the eye/ear droppers and add drops of rubbing alcohol to every part of the load (on top of the wagon).

When you get that taken care of, you may then add the water/glue mix from earlier to help the ballast stick together inside the wagon.  Again, do this in every part of the load on top and make sure that the dropper you have is different from the last one.

After waiting for about 6 or so hours, your load should be dry and permanently attached to the wagon.

A good way to also make sure the load is stable on the wagon is to hold the wagon upside down, or tipping it in any way, and make sure that the load does not fall off.

And once that's done, your ballast wagon is ready to go. Smiley

Also, stupid question, but what kind of wood did you use to build your layout?

Not a stupid question at all, a friend of mine actually built the table itself for me, so I honestly can't recall what type of wood it is.  All I can recall is that the legs and the frames are made of a different type of wood from the flat surface of the table itself.  If you would like I can contact him and ask.
mully
« Reply #597 on: April 19, 2016, 03:17:01 AM »

Hi all i would be very grateful if you could check out my latest project. Alot of work went into this with limited resources and editing software so please let me know what you think https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=36wlm27yI3s
Titanic5972

View Profile
« Reply #598 on: April 21, 2016, 12:01:10 AM »

Those wagon look good. Did you fill the wagon with the ballast? That must make them very heavy. The way I did it was by putting a chunk of polystyrene in the bottom of the wagon and then spreading a thin layer of load on top of that. Makes the wagon much lighter.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #599 on: April 21, 2016, 01:12:38 AM »

Interesting you bring that up, I didn't think it was a big issue since I have a lot of spare ballast and the wagons in the Thomas range are fairly small and don't require that much to fill it up.  But to be safe before I made the loads permanent I did test the models with ballast in the cars and results seemed fine on my end.  But the method you mentioned is another way other members at my club have told me they have done it too.  I wasn't concerned with my Thomas wagons when doing this, but with my hoppers and gondolas I use for my non-Thomas models I was thinking of doing something similar to what you had mentioned earlier.  

All even went well when running at my club today when running my Thomas model with a freight train and that even included a couple of ballast cars I added to the train:

Disregarding the work that was put on hold while running earlier, this scene look familiar to anyone?

He ran really well for the most part, apart from hills but Thomas models usually never do well on steep hills from my experience... Emily can't even go up the same hill with just her two coaches alone Tongue

Thanks for the feedback!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 03:56:48 AM by Chaz » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 80 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: