STORE
"ASK THE BACH MAN"
FORUM
PARTS, SERVICE,
& INFORMATION
CATALOGS AND
BROCHURES

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2019, 08:15:21 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<
+  Bachmann Message Board
|-+  Discussion Boards
| |-+  Thomas & Friends
| | |-+  The Everything Thomas Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 86 Print
Author Topic: The Everything Thomas Thread  (Read 378466 times)
RebeccaFTW

View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: July 25, 2018, 09:27:49 PM »

While I completely agree with everything Mr. Griffin has pointed out in his post, chances of seeing a redesigned Thomas from Bachmann just don't seem plausible from my perspective.  Given that I too was never really satisfied with the model back when I was still into HO/OO, it would be nice to see Bachmann finally update the model, but again I'm saying that it doesn't seem likely.  True it has been a good 10 years since the first 3 engines were introduced and Bachmann has come a long way since, but unfortunately while the once nonexistent technology is here today, the time and budget is not.

Over the years the topic of Bachmann updating Thomas (along with Percy and James) has been brought up many times, but I've seen most people referring to the redesign of the faces.  The only real major request I saw was the constant whining for Bachmann to correct the paint errors on James.  While this was eventually carried out (only partially...) it left many modelers out there unimpressed.  Then you also had certain users on here that acted like the redesigned James was the greatest thing Bachmann's ever done since Skarloey, when basically all they did was put lipstick on a pig.  In the end the redesign was even more underwhelming than Oliver and Rosie when they were finally released.

While it would be nice to see Thomas completely redesigned to look more accurate to his TV counterpart, Bachmann would have to either alter the existing tooling, or most likely (which would make more sense) just create an entire new tooling.  Given the issues Bachmann's been facing over the last few years and considering Rosie was the last new engine tooling Bachmann has done, chances of seeing a redesigned Thomas seem about as unlikely as seeing a new engine in 2019.  Bachmann seems to be steering away from new toolings with the constant rise of production costs throwing a spanner in the works.

If Bachmann were to redesign their Thomas model, at the least I could see them updating the face and the dummy couplings as they have done with James.  Considering they've already pulled off a duplicate face plate with Grumpy Diesel, updating the face on Thomas (Percy and James too) shouldn't be that hard.  Even with the new face Diesel still kept his original RRP, so Thomas (or the others for that matter) would most likely follow the same trend if just the face plate is swapped out for a new one.

So I'm pretty much on the same page as Mr. MeganekkoFury with redesigning Bachmann's Thomas.  If they can't produce a new engine tooling in the near future, then improving their existing models would be the next best thing even if it's just a simple face change.  I could probably expand more on what Bachmann could do with existing models, but that's probably best left for another day.

-Rusty

A PESSIMIST sees a dark tunnel.  An OPTIMIST sees light at the end of the tunnel.  A REALIST sees a freight train.  The TRAIN OPERATOR sees three idiots standing on the tracks.
JLK2707

View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: July 26, 2018, 07:53:31 AM »

Has anybody noticed that there is a recolor of James at approximately 11:47 in this clip of Big Word! Big Adventures!?

The Link is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT3dZfF_Ues&t=694s
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: August 04, 2018, 10:44:15 PM »

While on the train show for my model railroad club, a friend of mine brought in a model of troublesome truck #1.  He told me he got it recently and the model came with unpainted buffers.  Has anyone noticed this recently if they picked up any trucks recently?  Curious to know if this is just a one-off deal or if it's going to be a similar case to Diesel with the more recent infamous factory error of him coming with red buffers and black buffer housing.
Griffin

View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: August 06, 2018, 04:50:57 PM »

Any idea if we're ever going to see the HO Express Coaches reintroduced? Since their announcement there's been nothing released about them. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Bachmann failed to release them, too. They've proven recently with LS Diesel they aren't afraid to pull profitable items off the shelf before they're even in stock,

Waiting for Bachmann Stepney...
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: August 06, 2018, 05:12:38 PM »

They are up for preorder on sites like Walthers and Trainworld and have a page in the webstore, which is more than what the LS Diesel had. 

The only newly announced products that have no price or aren't up for preorder anywhere are the narrow gauge coaches, but I am willing to give those the benefit of the doubt since those are going to be a new tooling and probably wouldn't be as costly as something like the LS Diesel.
RebeccaFTW

View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: August 07, 2018, 12:54:21 PM »

They've proven recently with LS Diesel they aren't afraid to pull profitable items off the shelf before they're even in stock,

Not entirely true actually.  I wouldn't go as far to say Diesel was a profitable item as his cancelation alone mainly had to do with him not being profitable.  When Diesel was first announced he seemed like a good choice, but the further Bachmann went into production for the model, it became clear that Diesel's cost was going to be more than they would be able to recover in terms of sales.  What really put the nail in the coffin was the fact that in the end Diesel would have had a higher RRP than that of Emily who at the time of this post is $429.  I think many out there would see a tender engine for $429 more value for money than a diesel shunter at a more expensive cost.

I know many users here (myself included) thought that after Diesel was announced back in 2017 that Arry and Bert were inevitable for the 2018 announcements.  Furthermore his tooling could be used again for Paxton and Sidney (or even Splatter and Dodge if you're into that), so Diesel seemed to offer a lot more room for potential profits compared to characters such as Edward or Duck.  It came as a big surprised to all of us that Diesel was dropped, but clearly Bachmann didn't see 3-4 (or even 5-6) recolors for Diesel's tooling being worth making his model.

Like a friend of mine told me earlier this year, "You might as well get Toby because at this point he's going to be the last engine character for Large Scale".  Sadly that does seem to be the case, and if Bachmann can't even make an engine the size of Diesel, then I wouldn't get your hopes up for characters like Gordon, Henry, or Edward either.  It's kind of a shame to see Large Scale going the direction it is now, but unfortunately cost is what seems to be killing the model railroad hobby across the spectrum.

-Rusty

A PESSIMIST sees a dark tunnel.  An OPTIMIST sees light at the end of the tunnel.  A REALIST sees a freight train.  The TRAIN OPERATOR sees three idiots standing on the tracks.
Rodimus Supreme

View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: August 08, 2018, 01:15:00 PM »

They've proven recently with LS Diesel they aren't afraid to pull profitable items off the shelf before they're even in stock,

Not entirely true actually.  I wouldn't go as far to say Diesel was a profitable item as his cancelation alone mainly had to do with him not being profitable.  When Diesel was first announced he seemed like a good choice, but the further Bachmann went into production for the model, it became clear that Diesel's cost was going to be more than they would be able to recover in terms of sales.  What really put the nail in the coffin was the fact that in the end Diesel would have had a higher RRP than that of Emily who at the time of this post is $429.  I think many out there would see a tender engine for $429 more value for money than a diesel shunter at a more expensive cost.

I know many users here (myself included) thought that after Diesel was announced back in 2017 that Arry and Bert were inevitable for the 2018 announcements.  Furthermore his tooling could be used again for Paxton and Sidney (or even Splatter and Dodge if you're into that), so Diesel seemed to offer a lot more room for potential profits compared to characters such as Edward or Duck.  It came as a big surprised to all of us that Diesel was dropped, but clearly Bachmann didn't see 3-4 (or even 5-6) recolors for Diesel's tooling being worth making his model.

Like a friend of mine told me earlier this year, "You might as well get Toby because at this point he's going to be the last engine character for Large Scale".  Sadly that does seem to be the case, and if Bachmann can't even make an engine the size of Diesel, then I wouldn't get your hopes up for characters like Gordon, Henry, or Edward either.  It's kind of a shame to see Large Scale going the direction it is now, but unfortunately cost is what seems to be killing the model railroad hobby across the spectrum.

-Rusty
How in the world would Diesel end up being more expensive than Emily? And it seems that larger scales are being killed, not really Model Railroading in general, from what I can tell.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: August 08, 2018, 03:01:09 PM »

Probably because Diesel would have more detail than Emily and his motor and chassis would be a lot heavier as proven by the HO models.  In fact, the HO Emily is about $10 more than the Diesel model based in their online store, and any average consumer would probably find a steam engine like Emily to be a better value of money than a black Diesel shunted like Diesel.

Either way I think we can agree Bachmann didn't cancel Diesel because "they're not afraid to pull profitable items off stock", when I think it just comes down to pricing and manufacturing being too much for something that honestly probably would have not been that big of a seller further down the road.
Griffin

View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: August 08, 2018, 09:01:41 PM »

I honestly can't understand why Diesel wouldn't have been profitable. Plus, don't they gauge the risk v. return before announcing the product to the public? That's why the last items we ever saw canceled from Bachmann were Fred and Rickety many years ago when the line was first starting. Seems weird that with all they know they didn't see it coming before making the announcement.

RebeccaFTW

View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: August 09, 2018, 10:13:18 PM »

How in the world would Diesel end up being more expensive than Emily? And it seems that larger scales are being killed, not really Model Railroading in general, from what I can tell.

Pretty much as Chaz already pointed out in his post, Diesel would have more details put into him than Emily did.  I think the attention to detail for the siderods alone is what would have made the price for the model skyrocket.  As I stated in my previous post and just like Chaz said in his, there's many modelers out there that would see a tender engine such as Emily better value for money than a shunter loco such as Diesel.

In response to larger scales and/or model railroading being killed off, I've covered this matter before.  As I've mentioned in previous posts, the whole model railroading hobby across the spectrum is down, not just larger scales.  I'm going to save myself some time here and just leave links to my previous posts on this matter and you can read them if you wish.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,34581.msg254706.html#msg254706

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,34581.msg254761.html#msg254761

I honestly can't understand why Diesel wouldn't have been profitable. Plus, don't they gauge the risk v. return before announcing the product to the public? That's why the last items we ever saw canceled from Bachmann were Fred and Rickety many years ago when the line was first starting. Seems weird that with all they know they didn't see it coming before making the announcement.

I'm pretty sure no one is doubting that Diesel would have been profitable, it's just a matter of who would be willing to pay a price of over $430 for said model.  Compared to Diesel, there would be so many other large scale models currently offered from Bachmann that would give you more bang for your buck.  As I said before, Emily is a tender engine at $429 which would be better value for money compared to Diesel.  In addition to that you could also get the Thomas and/or Percy with DCC sound which are only $399 each. Even models outside the Thomas line such as Bachmann's 2-4-2 Lyn and Peter Witt Streetcars (both models with a high amount of detail)  have RRPs of $419 and $429 respectively.  That being said, which would you rather spend your hard-earned money on?

The whole gauge risk issue for Bachmann was probably more or less an unforeseen problem at the time.  It's kind of like these people who remodel houses and set a timeline and budget.  Once they start the remodel, there's always going to be unexpected expenses or predicaments whether there's a rotted floor joist under the living room or the entire plumbing system needs redone.  It's the same deal when Bachmann took the chance and announced Diesel.  As they went further and further into production, it became apparent that the cost to produce Diesel was more than they originally estimated and in the end the model would offer a very minimal return.  It also doesn't help when the cost of everything keeps going up in the meantime.

In addition to that, had Diesel been announced there would still be a lot of buyers complaining about the high RRP of a niche market product because they're too cheap to pay the cost of Bachmann recovering it's investment to produce said model.  It basically boils down to the question for the buyer of what kind of model would you be more willing to pay for.  I think many can agree that a Emily or the DCC sound Thomas and Percy present better value than that of Diesel.  At the end of the day, the only ones who would be willing to pay over $430 for Diesel are those who desperately want the model.

-Rusty

TrainshockeylifE

View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: August 10, 2018, 11:07:09 AM »

Today is the day that Bachmann will be making a couple product announcements at the national train show! Hopefully they will have some Thomas things! Is anyone going to it? Itís in Kansas City.
TrainshockeylifE

View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: August 10, 2018, 11:16:33 AM »

Now available on shapeways are N scale troublesome trucks faces!

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/the-faces-of-trouble
TerencetheTractor525

View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: August 10, 2018, 12:00:30 PM »

http://resources.bachmanntrains.com/NMRA_KC2018/html5/

The announcements are posted! Thank goodness for the narrow gauge carriages! Still really hoping that the correct tooling will be used for each.
TrainshockeylifE

View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: August 10, 2018, 12:26:00 PM »

No Rusty yet 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻
Griffin

View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: August 10, 2018, 02:49:07 PM »

The lack of information given to customers regarding new products such as Rusty is seriously lacking. Here's hoping Bachmann fixes that issue one day. It's not like the staff don't have a way to communicate with us.

Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 86 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: