STORE
"ASK THE BACH MAN"
FORUM
PARTS, SERVICE,
& INFORMATION
CATALOGS AND
BROCHURES

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 19, 2019, 02:45:34 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Check out the photo gallery link above or >click here< to see photos of recently announced products!
+  Bachmann Message Board
|-+  Discussion Boards
| |-+  Thomas & Friends
| | |-+  The Everything Thomas Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 86 Print
Author Topic: The Everything Thomas Thread  (Read 366753 times)
TerencetheTractor525

View Profile
« Reply #1035 on: September 08, 2018, 09:52:16 AM »

I watched the first few episodes of season 22 too and was disappointed to say the least. I can easily say that I would not buy a Bachmann Nia or Rebecca.
angelob6660

View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: September 08, 2018, 11:34:41 PM »

I saw the season 22 episode list and reading the descriptions. I was a little disappointed. I watched to watch the BBC version but I couldn't find any. I've to wait later this fall.
MeganekkoFury1126

View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: September 09, 2018, 06:49:20 PM »

So far, I have to agree that season 22 hasn't really done much for me.

The two Rebecca episodes are definitely the strongest as of writing, but overall I don't like the direction the series is going. The shorter run time (7:00 vs. the previous 8:45 run time) makes the episodes feel very rushed and missing things to make them truly good. The abundance of these over the top and ridiculous dream sequences feel more like filler because they almost always don't contribute anything to the story, and they often go on for far too long. And in the case of the 'Thomas going across the world' episodes, the settings don't feel very integral to the stories and Thomas is mostly portrayed as a bland, main character without any of his interesting characteristics on display. This is the reason why I'm more interested in the episodes that stay on Sodor than the world episodes. Some of them actually seem kind of promising.

I do like Rebecca and her cute personality, even though I think it would've been easier (both from a marketing and manufacturing standpoint) for the higer ups to bring Molly back into the series rather than make a completely new character with basically the same attributes and colors. That being said, I do think Rebecca made a slightly stronger first impression than Molly. Slightly. I'm not the biggest fan of Nia right now, though. Not for her reasoning for existing (like most of the fans seem to say), but she's just not that interesting. I will say she's slightly more interesting than Ashima was, but not by much.
JLK2707

View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: September 14, 2018, 11:02:09 PM »

Yeah, has anybody else seen the episode, ďAn engine of many colours,Ē? If yes, has anybody noticed that Edward was pulling a train of tar tanker wagon cars when James is about to crash into him when he is painted green in his dream?
JLK2707

View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: September 19, 2018, 09:23:45 PM »

Also, has anybody just noticed how there are now TAR tanker wagons in CGI?
TrainshockeylifE

View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: September 22, 2018, 08:28:54 AM »

Look at this guys last post, this will shake you....
https://mobile.twitter.com/US_trainmodeler
TrainMan2001

View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: September 22, 2018, 10:59:38 AM »

What happened? Twitter won't work for me.

Bachmann trains are awesome. I hope they come out with Stepney one day.
MeganekkoFury1126

View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: September 22, 2018, 03:49:09 PM »

If itís about the sound files, itís sadly only for large scale models.
J70Toby

View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: September 22, 2018, 05:20:43 PM »

While I can't say that I'm a fan of Nia or Rebecca, I find it strange that the fanbase doesn't view Emily in a similar way.  Emily was also added during a major revamp of the series (I know Season 7 is widely considered to be part of the Classic Series, but my impression is that it resembles what came after more than what came before).  Her introduction also accompanied series mainstays being reduced to minor roles.  In Emily's case this was Duck, but it could also be said that Oliver, Donald, and Douglas largely disappeared around the same time.

I do see a few points in Emily's favor.  By the time that a lot of people would be taking to the internet to discuss the state of Thomas and Friends, she had been around long enough that her existence was unlikely to be controversial.  Emily's design is also very well done, and is aesthetically pleasing.  Nia and Rebecca have very loud color schemes that causes them to look like they were designed to be children's toys rather than working locomotives.  Given that their dominant colors are orange and yellow, I wouldn't be surprised if they were designed around adding those colors to the main cast and if Edward and Henry were dropped because they were perceived as less popular than the other blue and green engines. 

This isn't all to say that I despise Emily.  I have thought about picking up a Bachmann Emily, mainly because she was so well designed, but so far, I've decided to stick with characters created for the Railway Series.  And for what it's worth, I consider Dowager Hatt's Busy Day to be among the better modern episodes.  I have to look past my distaste for HIT/Mattel's decision to consistently portray the Fat Controler as a comic relief man-child who is afraid of his mother, but Emily comes off very well in that episode.

This is all a long way of asking if anyone has any insight into what was done right with Emily but done wrong with Nia and Rebecca (or maybe the two points that I've thought of pretty much sum it up).
angelob6660

View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: September 22, 2018, 10:42:58 PM »

I have the same reasons and feelings for Emily.
A long time ago when Emily had a train set. I purchased her two coaches on sale. Getting her train set was out being to high for me at the time.
Since I bought her coaches two to three times a year I think and wonder to whether to get Emily or resale the coaches. Since I don't model season 7 - up. But she is became a better character when the CGI came out.

If you want to watch Season 22 of Thomas now. It's on YouTube under TTTE. There is a episode missing but you see it on dailymotion.
JLK2707

View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: September 23, 2018, 01:02:07 AM »

I just hate to say this, but I think it is a dying show.
JLK2707

View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: September 23, 2018, 05:21:55 AM »

How long do you think it could be cancelled for?
J70Toby

View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: September 23, 2018, 05:15:53 PM »

Thanks for the thoughts on Emily.  I wasn't keeping with the show anymore when Emily was introduced, so I didn't have the perspective of how she gradually became a main character.  I do have to agree that the way that HIT/Mattel has pushed Nia and Rebecca (and BWBA as a whole) suggests that the higher ups have no idea what people have found endearing about the universe and its characters.  I recall reading an article in which an executive from Mattel was quoted as saying something to the effect that the original stories were written in a particular time and place and that they are creating a show that modern children and parents will appreciate.  That attitude rings as extremely tone deaf when the changes that Mattel is making are stripping the franchise of everything that made it timeless and are coating it with trendy attitudes and concepts that are certain to age poorly.

I would encourage anyone who hasn't to take a look at Reverend Awdry's official biography, The Thomas the Tank Engine Man.  Even if you aren't a RWS purist, it really gives a sense of just how much care and effort Awdry put into creating his world and his characters.  And it was that level of dedication that created a series that has survived for over 70 years in the popular conscience, not pandering to focus groups.

I have seen most of the aired episodes of Season 22, and other than the physical appearances of the returning characters, it doesn't resemble anything that I would call Thomas and Friends.  It's just a copy and paste, loud and annoying early childhood program with nonsense plots.  Several have just been Thomas willfully doing something wrong or misguided but facing no consequences and learning nothing from it.  It's annoying how HIT has continually rejected the concept of character growth and has just had characters repeatedly "learning" the same lesson, but this is even worse.  I don't expect the nuance of how in later stories of the RWS such as Stepney's Special and Wooly Bear, Thomas's character flaw tends to be that he is overly prideful rather than that he is youthfully silly, but I at least expect the show to do better than imply that it's acceptable to follow whatever poorly evaluated whims pop into your head.

Without a major redirection and possibly a changing of hands of the rights to the franchise, I don't see anything to look forward to about Thomas and Friends other than new products from Bachmann, particularly the gradual release of the narrow gauge engines.
Streak

Hello, glad to be here! "Ew Aw Few Few"

View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: September 25, 2018, 07:04:11 PM »

After seeing nearly every episode this season, I can honestly say that Big World Big Adventures really didn't deserve the backlash it got. Well let me rephrase that... if you don't like the direction that the show is going that's fine, this is just my opinion.  Smiley

Big World Big Adventures was a really enjoyable movie to watch. I'd say it's about my 5th or 6th favorite Thomas movie. While it's nowhere near as good as something like The Adventure Begins, it's higher than movies like King of the Railway and The Great Race. In fact, a lot of people on Twitter and in other forums enjoyed the movie as well. Like Journey Beyond Sodor, this film just got negatively overhyped. I see so many people on this forum saying that everyone in the fandom hated the movie and that's just not true. In my eyes, it's about 30% enjoyed it, 30% find it tolerable, and the rest hated it (whether genuinely or blindly).

Season 22, while having many problems, is a decent season in my books. Most, if not all of the episodes taking place on Sodor range from good to freaking fantastic!  Cheesy Seriously, if you don't believe me, go watch School of Duck, Hunt the Truck, and An Engine of Many Colors. This season also marks an amazing first for the franchise. A new writer has joined the writing staff named Michael White and he's actually a member of the Thomas fandom. He's on Twitter and everything: @WhitehouseFilms. He's only written two episodes so far but they are so good! Better than half of Season 20 if I'm being honest.

Here comes my most controversial point: I think it was a good idea to remove Henry and Edward from the Steam Team (not Toby though; fav character for life Wink) Both work so much better as supporting characters in my opinion. It doesn't mean they can't have episodes to themselves (Hunt the Truck proved that) it's just that this way the writers can write for them when they have an idea for them. I'd rather have that then the writers forcing out an episode about them per season because they're main characters. So I'm totally fine with Edward and Henry moving out (if only they had taken Emily with them Sad)

As for the new gals, I really like them. Rebecca is so sweet and so likable. It's infectious how nice she is. I like how she plays off of Gordon and maybe she'll bring out more character in Emily (goodness knows she needs it). Nia is also a good character as well. I was very skeptical of her going into the movie but I was pleasantly surprised. Her sassy comebacks are the best and she plays off Thomas and Ace very well. Unfortunately, Nia hasn't gotten much time to shine in Season 22. Hopefully she'll get more screen time soon.

The season isn't without flaws though. The international episodes, while not terrible, are rather bland and bare bones. They have interesting characters like Rajiv, Shane, Yong Bao, and the Chinese coaches: An-An & Yin Long. But the plots are repetitive, the conflicts are weak, and they seem to like to put culture over storytelling (That was probably the UN's fault, not the writers. Just saying). Plus Thomas is the lead in every single episode. Why couldn't they bring the rest of the Steam Team to the other countries as well and give them episodes?

In the end, while the international eps are a mixed bag (Runaway Truck and Outback Thomas are pretty good), the rest of the season was really good. Did they have to change the formula? No. Is that a bad thing? Not really. It keeps the show from stagnating. I know some people are unhappy about the changes and that's fine. But me and many others are fine with the direction the show is going. I guess you can't please everyone. I'm looking forward to seeing Season 23 and beyond and hopefully maybe Bachmann might make Nia and Rebecca because, while you lot may not think so, there are a lot of people who would want them myself including. Sorry for rambling. Just had to get my thoughts out there. Peace.
JLK2707

View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: September 26, 2018, 07:10:21 AM »

Excuse me Streak, did you notice that Edward is pulling a train of tar tanker wagons in CGI when James is about to crash into him in his dream where he is painted green?
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 86 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: