STORE
"ASK THE BACH MAN"
FORUM
PARTS, SERVICE,
& INFORMATION
CATALOGS AND
BROCHURES

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 18, 2019, 10:58:51 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Check out the photo gallery link above or >click here< to see photos of recently announced products!
+  Bachmann Message Board
|-+  Discussion Boards
| |-+  Thomas & Friends
| | |-+  The Everything Thomas Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 80 Print
Author Topic: The Everything Thomas Thread  (Read 340435 times)
Streak

Hello, glad to be here! "Ew Aw Few Few"

View Profile
« Reply #1080 on: October 21, 2018, 10:32:59 AM »

I don't see why they would need to keep the original brake van when the Spiteful Brakevan is in the range now. It looks much more like brake vans seen in the show, has NW on it as a homage to the lore of the show (as the NW brake van design was first in Large Scale before they even did the Spiteful Brakevan), and to add it sports a distinctly Thomas face. It out-does the original in every regard and makes the original irrelevant.

Funny how they can make something interesting and worthy of purchase out of an old tooling from the 80s-90s (Bachmann Branchlines).

Ok but what if you want a generic brake van? Toad and Spiteful Brakevan are great but they can only be used once. An ordinary brake van with no face would be good and would be worth buying multiple of. That's why I said they could rerelease it again in black or grey, to be more accurate to the current show. I also mentioned this in the Bachmann 2019 thread: They could make Bradford and that Orange CG Brakevan by using the existing Branchline range design but I'd rather them make the generic orange one first, then Bradford. Generic faceless rolling stock are necessary too.

Cool. On another note, I just wanted the writers of Thomas and friends to add the logo of the music group Jamiroquai on it and put it on tv where they would have all the engines would wondering about who would pull it. Face it, this idea will probably never happen as I somehow feel that Thomas and friends will end forever next year. I dread to write this as fanfiction as I donít care for that stuff whatsoever. What do you think Streak? Would you have liked to see a Jamiroquai van on Thomas and friends?

I have no idea who Jamiroquai is so I can't really give my thoughts on that. More importantly, why do you think Thomas will end next year? According to SIF (look it up if you don't believe me), Thomas' views in the UK have boosted maybe 41% since the rebrand I think, meaning that technically BWBA was a success (at least with the kids). Also why do you think Thomas will end forever? An almost 35 year old show and an almost 75 year old franchise will not just end forever. Even if Mattel goes under due to their toy sales ( which when you think about it is likely), another company like Hasbro is likely to buy up the Thomas property from them. (I'd actually really like to see Hasbro take over Mattel. They tried to buy them less than a year ago. It's only a matter of time before Hasbro makes another offer now. Seeing how Hasbro treated My Little Pony, it's clear that they know how to handle a show with an adult audience. Plus they'd make better toys.) Anyways, I think saying that the series will end forever is unrealistic and a bit overdramatic. Just saying, but you're entitled to your opinion.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 12:20:10 PM by Streak » Logged
Cheeky_ULP

View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: October 21, 2018, 02:16:08 PM »

If you want a piece of rolling stock without a face, just take the face off with an x-acto knife.
Streak

View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: October 21, 2018, 03:18:49 PM »

If you want a piece of rolling stock without a face, just take the face off with an x-acto knife.

...  Sad Ok... I didn't want to ask this but do you have a problem with me? I'm detecting a bit of salt from your posts. If so, then what did I do?

Never mind, it doesn't matter. I'd rather have an actual faceless brake van. Not everyone has the time, money, or energy to buy multiple Spiteful Brakevans, take their faces off, and paint them accordingly. But maybe that's just me. Who knows? Let's just move on.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 04:03:07 PM by Streak » Logged
TerencetheTractor525

View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: October 21, 2018, 04:31:30 PM »

The Bachmann TCA Open House video for Fall 2018 is now up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrkkJVVSqzE

Although there were no new Thomas products shown, I would give the video a watch as Jack Lynch explains the current challenges of the model train market. After watching this, I definitely think that Bachmann should not announce a new HO loco for the Thomas line in 2019, unless the loco is Stepney or Daisy. Stepney and Daisy are the only locos that have not been made yet that would sell extensively. Plus, Mr. Lynch stated that the strong sales from Thomas products really help Bachmann produce new products in other non-Thomas areas such as N, HO, On30, etc. Thus, the sales from Stepney or Daisy would give the entire business a major boost.

Also, a few weeks ago in one of the Plasticville USA threads, I asked if there would be any more new resin buildings added to the Thomas line: https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,35209.0.html, and it's interesting that what Mr. Lynch stated in the video is exactly what Yardmaster generously replied with in the thread, which is that resin buildings do not require expensive steel molds. Hence, hopefully, even if there is no new loco for 2019, perhaps some new resin buildings can be announced for the Thomas line.
Streak

View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: October 21, 2018, 05:07:11 PM »

Interesting! It definitely seems that the best play for Bachmann to play is to release either Stepney or Daisy. Maybe even some resin buildings too after hearing that Plasticville tidbit. If they released Stepney/Daisy, resin buildings, Peter Sam/Sir Handel, a good assortment of rolling stock, and maybe something genuinely new for Large Scale, Bachmann could make up the money they may have lost from the lackluster turnouts the last three years. (not that Rosie and Paxton weren't nice.) Bachmann just need to give a little to get a little.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 05:08:44 PM by Streak » Logged
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: October 21, 2018, 05:48:29 PM »

At this point I wonít even be mad if Stepney or Daisy arenít announced considering the pricing for tooling costs that Bachmann is going through.  Narrow gauge at least has made some new toolings in the last couple of years and I truly believe that if they announce Peter Sam next year, it will help give the range the sales that it needs since both his CG render and his basis would make for strong sales for modelers like how Skarloey was. 

Either way Iím pretty much just going to hope for the best but sadly expect the minimum for next yearís announcements for the other two ranges.  Sadly if they havenít made more resin buildings because of lack of sales then that doesnít entirely surprise me.  Never hurts though to throw in more suggestions since if the demand and sales are high enough then maybe that might shed some light on the range.

Also, Jack Lynch = Yardmaster. Wink
Streak

View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: October 21, 2018, 07:03:18 PM »

Daisy may be a little too pricy but Stepney shouldn't be too difficult, right? I just think that one of the few ways that Bachmann can gain back some of it's lost profit is to make an HO engine that is gonna sell like hotcakes like Duck and Oliver. These engines currently are Stepney and possibly Daisy. I do think that it's best to keep expectations on the down low. It's understandable the price issues that Bachmann and I wouldn't be mad at yet another small year for the Thomas range (as long as there's at least one new something worth purchasing).
Cheeky_ULP

View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: October 22, 2018, 12:21:02 AM »

...  Sad Ok... I didn't want to ask this but do you have a problem with me? I'm detecting a bit of salt from your posts. If so, then what did I do?

Never mind, it doesn't matter. I'd rather have an actual faceless brake van. Not everyone has the time, money, or energy to buy multiple Spiteful Brakevans, take their faces off, and paint them accordingly. But maybe that's just me. Who knows? Let's just move on.
Not really, I don't gain anything from having grievances here. Just giving a simple, blunt option if you want a faceless brake van.

The Spiteful Brake Van has all the ideal colors for the Thomas range, and adding another one without a face would feel only detrimental and counter-intuitive to the sales of the Spiteful Brakevan.
Streak

View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: October 22, 2018, 12:57:12 AM »

Not really, I don't gain anything from having grievances here. Just giving a simple, blunt option if you want a faceless brake van.

The Spiteful Brake Van has all the ideal colors for the Thomas range, and adding another one without a face would feel only detrimental and counter-intuitive to the sales of the Spiteful Brakevan.

I guess I can respect that. But those blunt comments can kind of come off the wrong way you know. It's like people who try to be sarcastic on Twitter. People can't tell it's a joke so they get mad/confused. Then they ridicule them for not getting it and the whole situation gets worse.

Anyways, I think detrimental is a bit... overdramatic. The thing that I've learned overtime is that having options is always beneficial. Take Smash Bros Ultimate for example (I know this is a Thomas thread but bear with me it's for the metaphor). The game has all the fighters from the first 4 games, regardless if they're good or bad because then no one is left out. Everyone's character is there. Same thing can apply to the brake vans. Having a faceless brake van and the Spiteful Brakevan gives people the opinion to choose. I mean, going by your logic, why do they have a Sodor Salt Wagon and Troublesome Truck #5 (a salt wagon with a face)? I just need to make this clear that I'm not dissing your opinion, I just think you're taking things a little too seriously.
Cheeky_ULP

View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: October 22, 2018, 01:00:33 AM »

The difference is that's player slots in a video game that doesn't require physical material to be made at a cost. They can probably make more brake vans in a few years from now, but the Spiteful Brakevan isn't even out yet, so announcing another one in 2019 would be way too soon.
Streak

View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: October 22, 2018, 10:13:21 AM »

I never said they should announce another one in 2019. We can speculate for things beyond 2019 right? If not, then that's pretty boring.

The difference is that's player slots in a video game that doesn't require physical material to be made at a cost. They can probably make more brake vans in a few years from now, but the Spiteful Brakevan isn't even out yet, so announcing another one in 2019 would be way too soon.

Forget it, I'm done arguing. Let's just go back to talking about Daisy and Stepney for the millionth time.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 04:10:33 PM by Streak » Logged
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: October 22, 2018, 02:51:14 PM »

Yeah, because it doesn't also take hundreds of dollars to make a big video game like SSBU. Plus it's the same mold they were making before so... Angry

The way how video game production is compared to model trains is literally so different from each other itís not even worth comparing the two.

But on the much bigger picture, the Spiteful brake van was a requested addition for a long time now, and before it was even announced in large scale a few people wanted the HO brake van to be updated in the same livery as the large scale one since the HO one had what looked like an incomplete paintjob.  The fact that the Spiteful brake van basically kills two birds with one stone for most Thomas fans by being in that livery is a smart marketing decision.  Some people will buy more than one for that reason alone.  Iím even ordering a few extras as Christmas presents for some friends.  

If you absolutely want the older brake van that doesnít have a face on it, I would encourage you to check online at different hobby stores or eBay, or maybe local shows.  You would be surprised how often old/discontinued products show up.

Another option would be to order some of the Bachmann UK brake vans.  Might cost a little extra for shipping, but I say they are well worth it if you want something a little more realistic.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 04:45:09 PM by Chaz » Logged
Streak

View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: October 22, 2018, 04:00:04 PM »

Yeah... thinking about it now, that wasn't really the best comparison. I admit that. It's not even that I extremely want a faceless brake Van, I just think it's a little weird to say that you can't have Spiteful Brakevan and Regular Brakevan at the same time. Especially when we have two Salt Wagons and (more importantly) two different versions of the same character (Diesel and Grumpy Diesel). But thinking about it, comparing model making to video games was pretty stupid of me. When I get heated, I tend to not think straight.

Not trying to argue, this is just a question. Was Spiteful Brakevan a really requested model (at least back before it was made in Large Scale)? I never heard anyone talking about it. I'm not saying it wasn't wanted at all. I'm sure people were very happy to see it made, myself included. But was it actually requested as much as you say? If so, then I guess I just missed it which is totally possible. You've been on this forum way longer than me anyways and I still am new to modeling.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 04:14:05 PM by Streak » Logged
TrainFan97

View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: October 22, 2018, 07:35:12 PM »

Comparing model making to video game development is like comparing apples to oranges. Maybe even more different than that.

Anyways, I'll see if I can get the Spiteful Brake Van once he's available.
angelob6660

View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: October 23, 2018, 11:34:41 AM »

Since I have 4 brake vans already, I'm waiting to get spiteful brake van.
Comparing the Spiteful brake van with the original he'll fit in nicely but I'm not sure about the paint scheme.

This is way the book and live action is different.
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 80 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: