STORE
"ASK THE BACH MAN"
FORUM
PARTS, SERVICE,
& INFORMATION
CATALOGS AND
BROCHURES

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 23, 2019, 07:23:26 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Check out the photo gallery link above or >click here< to see photos of recently announced products!
+  Bachmann Message Board
|-+  Discussion Boards
| |-+  Thomas & Friends
| | |-+  The Everything Thomas Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 80 Print
Author Topic: The Everything Thomas Thread  (Read 341863 times)
Griffin

View Profile
« Reply #1110 on: November 21, 2018, 11:06:47 AM »

Same with the re-release of the express coaches. What's going on, Bachmann??

Waiting for Bachmann Stepney...
BassTbone

View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: November 25, 2018, 06:08:36 PM »

http://www.advantagehobby.com/350951/BAC76034/HO-Gordons-Composite-Coach/

http://www.advantagehobby.com/350939/BAC58603/HOn30-Rusty/

http://www.advantagehobby.com/363656/BAC77204/HOn30-Blue-Carriage/

http://www.advantagehobby.com/363657/BAC77205/HOn30-Red-Carriage/

Express coaches, Rusty, and the NG coaches are expected Late Feb 2019. 

Photos should surface soon.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: November 25, 2018, 09:12:39 PM »

The express coaches are going to be the exact same models that were discontinued a few years ago.  

Source is the catalog and Bachmannís webstore.

I have a feeling the narrow gauge coaches wonít have pictures out until next year.
Streak

Hello, glad to be here! "Ew Aw Few Few"

View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: November 26, 2018, 01:49:58 AM »

Well, at least we have a date... kind of. If that's correct, then they'll be out of the way so that the 2019 announcements can shine!  Cheesy
Plow Bender

Rolling with the Big Boys

View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: November 28, 2018, 12:11:05 PM »

In response to Mr. Tbone, I wanted to contribute to your post and bring up what I saw earlier this year in the NMRA 2018 New Announcements.  I'll leave a link below for anyone who wishes to check it out.

https://resources.bachmanntrains.com/NMRA_KC2018/html5/

It's a little odd as the HO tanker recolors and the Spiteful Brakevan were supposed to be shipping back in October, but that time has obviously came and gone with all 3 still not in stock yet.  The Narrow Gauge coaches on the other hand are expected to start shipping in 2019, so I'm pretty sure that's correct, or at least it is at this time.  As for the Large Scale tanker recolors, they're said to be expected to start shipping in November, which with only 3 days left, I'm starting to have my doubts that will happen.  Not that it's much of a concern for me though...

On the topic of Rusty and the express coaches though, there was nothing on them in the announcements.  It's just a theory, but I do have the idea that Rusty (or at least a limited stock) may make it out before Christmas, as Skarloey and Rheneas have carried on the same trend when they were released.  Personally I think it would be wise on Bachmann's part to do so as the sales this time of year would most likely do better with the upcoming holiday.

In the end though, I've pretty much found that I'd rather hear about items being released and/or shipping from Bachmann themselves, rather than estimated expectancies from online retailers.  It's not that I have anything agents this, but Bachmann for the most part seems to know what's going on before anyone else these days.  As I think we've all seen at one point or another, Walthers for example is terrible at predicting when Bachmann Thomas & Friends models will be in stock.  Still, Bachmann has been kind of behind the ball lately as quite a few items started shipping this year even before we were notified that they had become available.  I guess long story short, only time will tell.

-Rusty

"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid." - John Wayne
Streak

View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: December 09, 2018, 08:53:23 PM »

Apparently, Stepney has been removed from the Drayton Manor Expedition layout. Last time this happened was with Harvey back in 2012. He was given to Arc Productions so that he could be rendered in CGI for Season 17. Could Stepney be a similar situation? Could Stepney be returning to the series eventually. Speculate away. Wink
Cheeky_ULP

View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: December 09, 2018, 11:42:55 PM »

I sure hope he isn't in the show because Arc/Jam Filled renders of classic characters are lackluster at best and then if Bachmann makes a model of Stepney, they'll use his CGI render for refs because that's what Mattel will send them
Streak

View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: December 10, 2018, 12:29:57 AM »

Arc/Jam Filled renders of classic characters are lackluster at best

Daisy just called.

So did Harvey. Harvey's actually a better example because they took his model from Drayton Manor and used it as reference for Harvey's CG model. Harvey is in my opinion one of the best looking and most Classic Series accurate model in the series alongside Daisy. If they do the same thing for Stepney as they did for Harvey, then I'm sure he'll come in looking crisp as Crosby in CGI.

I mean I know why you don't want them to make Stepney in CGI because you want Bachmann to make him first in his Classic form (because you only care about the Classic designs which is fine, it's your opinion). But if they make him in CGI and Bachmann makes him based off a new design then that's too bad. There's no changing it. It's done. And also if Stepney is announced in Febuary 2019, they'll make him in his Classic design like you wanted even if he's coming to CGI because his render wouldn't be ready yet. Just look at Duck.

Personally, I could care less if Stepney gets made before or after getting put in CGI. I hope he comes back to the show and have some good episodes.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 12:31:57 AM by Streak » Logged
Cheeky_ULP

View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: December 10, 2018, 03:04:08 AM »

Daisy and Harvey are fair renders, but that doesn't quite excuse the rest of their track record. Harvey is good in his own rights and probably the best Arc did, while Daisys model era design was infamously flawed due to the buffer height and the blatant re-use of Bocos face, so going for a more prototypical look proved to be an improvement. She's an anomaly.

To add, nostalgia sells. Arry and Bert are a great example of this; their faces were identical, and CGI designs. Barely anyone in the OO Thomas market recognizes Arry and Bert for their CGI faces, especially since they were barely in CGI. I imagine if they had model era faces, sales might have done better for the twins. Heck, even different expression for the CGI faces would've been an improvement, as then there would be an actual initiative to buy both engines. Many customers just looked at these two engines, and couldn't tell them apart. Unlike Bill and Ben or Donald and Douglas, they don't benefit from unique nameplates or numbers, so different expressions would've helped set one apart from the other... Which the model era faces do spectacularly!

I don't even care for the characters, but would've felt twice as obligated to buy them if they sported faces from an era I grew up with, and I'm sure a lot of people felt the same. Oliver had similar issues, but got by lucky by the fact that he's a much more popular classic character. I have spoken with people though who said they didn't care much for his model simply because it was a CGI design. Rosie is a case where her CG design and model design were close enough to where differences were minimal, so it's understandable why they went with her CG design. Same with Diesel.

That's too bad? It's done? There's no changing it? What? This is a hypothetical product that isn't out yet. Lets call out things now while the possibilities are still on the drawing board. A CGI Stepney isn't gonna sell as well as a model Stepney, because the latter is what the market for the Bachmann Thomas range will remember fondly of, not some new design that only -somewhat- resembles what they grew up with. Sales will still be as good, but not as great as they could be. Wanna talk about model era merchandise?

CoolProps, a Japanese brand focused on making and selling replicas of props, recently announced they're making a replica of the original Thomas prop, Gauge 1, with model era faces, and all. There's a lot of people on Twitter very excited about this, who are more than ready to shell out the possible $1,000 or more it will cost. Will all of them be able to? Probably not. However, many already shell out similar dollars in the G scale range, or with their own Gauge 1 custom made replicas. Japan knows there's a nostalgia market for Thomas, and CGI is not nostalgia for a 70 year old brand. Point is, nostalgia is a selling point in the collectors market nowadays. If you tamper with it, you risk alienating your audience. Bachmann cashing in and providing some level of a cheaper alternative to the nostalgia market would more than likely work in its favor.

Heck, the Spiteful Brakevan is testament to this. He's a random character seen in only one episode, and never even had a page on the official website. Yet, people are excited for the Bachmann Spiteful Brakevan. It's weird, it's niche, but it's something people remember. The fact that it's 2018 (almost 2019) and we're getting merchandise of some forgotten character from Season 2 is exciting enough, but the fact it has an accurate face makes people want him even more. One could argue the color is entirely wrong, but to Bachmanns defense, the original brake vans are a general grey, and "NW" is part of the characters history, so it adds up. Creative liberty works in the case of rolling stock, as Bachmann knows they need interesting looking freight cars to get customer interest in. At the end of the day, the face is accurate, which is the most important factor here.

Stepney on the other hand, is a more popular and well revered character. People will be keen and critical on the details, proportions, and overall appearance of his character down to the shade of yellow and font used on his decals. Why? Because they hold nostalgia to the character deeply. You can see this in how meticulous people try to make their Gauge 1 and OO replicas, as well as Trainz models. It's just something the fandom is known for, and it's a good thing to strive for improvement!

Point is, stick to what sells and what the majority of the market will recognize.
TerencetheTractor525

View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: December 10, 2018, 01:56:48 PM »

It's been a while since I have logged into the forum. Anyways, I am going to have to agree with Sparks on this one. While I am still a little doubtful of a new loco getting announced for 2019, it would be wonderful to see Bachmann play another Duck with Stepney. To elaborate, since Duck was announced in 2012, which was before we were informed that he would be returning to the show, Bachmann based Duck off his model era design. I'd love to see the same happen to Stepney.

I'll also state right now that if Bachmann bases Stepney off the model era, I will purchase him in a heartbeat. However, if they base him off the CGI design, I will definitely pass. Duck and Oliver are great examples of this. I was originally thinking of purchasing the Bachmann Oliver before his model was revealed, but after seeing the revealed model, I really felt that the CGI design is too different from what I envisioned him to be. However, in the case of Duck, even though I already owned the Hornby model of him, I had to purchase the Bachmann one after seeing how accurate the design was to the classic series, especially the face. The face does it all, and I know for a fact that many fans will agree with that. Stepney's charming model series face is one of my favorite faces, and after seeing the stunning Spiteful Brake Van face, I know that Bachmann would be able to capture Stepney's face perfectly too.

Let's be honest, with Gordon's Express Coaches being re-released, who would not love to see two amazing Bachmann models with nostalgic model era designs pull the coaches, just as in one of the most memorable Thomas episodes  Smiley.

Yet, again, while I am still not certain that Stepney has a chance due to what was stated in the recent TCA Open House, we all know that he would be a top seller, especially if Bachmann played another Duck on him.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 02:01:20 PM by TerencetheTractor525 » Logged
Cheeky_ULP

View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: December 10, 2018, 05:28:47 PM »

Maybe they got more restrictive on toolings like that after they realized the Chuggington range (both HO and O) wasn't going to sell. Wonder how much steel the tooling for those costed...

In my personal opinion, they could make Stepney and Daisy, and then just make repaints of Thomas, James, and Rosie (and Sidney somewhere in between) for the next 4-5 years after that and I'd be content.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: December 10, 2018, 06:02:59 PM »

My turn to rant about Stepney being in CGI!

Actually wait, before I do, I think that before we judge on that alone, the prop could have easily been taken to storage for ďĒmaintenanceĒĒ since the wheels on the prop looked really worn out since they seemed to run him a lot, so Iím not getting my hopes high at this point.  Especially when Mattel is focusing more on BWBA and season 22-23 and all the marketing thatís following it.  So I canít imagine anymore returning characters are even going to happen at this point.

But anyways back to Stepney.  Personally I think it is best Bachmann looks into him sooner rather than later because of the consistent demand he has had and would fit their budget as well as the strong sales Duck and Oliver had.  However if Bachmann is really limited to how many new toolings a year they can do, they may be better off spending their resources on adding Peter Sam for narrow gauge and even looking into adding some new resin buildings before anything else and maybe look into Stepney the following year.

Iíll admit I definitely got excited over the Bachmann Oliver and I think it will do fans the right justice if they want a model of him at an affordable price and donít mind the CG render.  Luckily though I managed to pick up a Hornby Oliver for a bargain (at least compared to what he usually goes for..) and sold my Bachmann model to get one that matched the classic design even more.  

Thereís nothing necessarily ďwrongĒ with going the CG design for some characters.  On the contrary, I wouldnít mind if that was the case for Daisy, Peter Sam, and Sir Handel.  However if there is a character with a classic design still the most up-to-date reference, and holds as strong of a nostalgia as far back as the 4th and 5th seasons then I think Stepney should be considered before any other standard gauge engine, including Daisy.  Bachmann knows that nostalgia sells considering their track record of making an overwhelming number of classic characters and rolling stock, Stepney would seem like a very natural addition and not feel out of place or feel forced like Rosie (or if Bachmann announces Nia and Rebecca for that matter...).

TL;DR - Wouldnít be on board with CGI Stepney, donít see it happening, and I think there are important priorities Bachmann could be focusing on rather than other characters in HO or Stepney having a CGI render.       
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 08:00:40 PM by Chaz » Logged
Streak

View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: December 11, 2018, 01:04:11 AM »

Dang... I'm gone for a day after leaving a post and there's an avalanche of replies. Honestly wasn't expecting this.

I honestly guess I'm not the right person to be talking about Bachmann stuff. I clearly don't have as much knowledge of business and model trains as you guys do. I probably won't be as vocal on this forum as much as I was going forward.

I've said in the past that I'm totally fine with Stepney being made in his Classic design first. It would be kind of a last hurrah to the models (unless characters like BoCo or Arthur were made). But I'm fine with Bachmann making it based on CGI because it would still be a high quality product worth purchasing in my opinion. But that's just it. It's my opinion. You guys are totally aloud to want what you want. I was just saying what I think. I definitely agree that classic series designs sell more and that Arry and Bert's similar faces really hinder their sales. (That Japan Thomas replica looks dope too). But I'm fine if they do go the CGI route, heck Id be fine if they updated all the engines to have CGI designs. Again, I'm biased because I like the CGI more than the models (in terms of design) and I know I'm in the minority saying that so I'll just move on.

The whole "It's done" stuff in my last reply was meant to be hypothetical in a sense. If Stepney gets released in CGI, I don't want to see people being needlessly angry about it like Rosie's announcement in 2016. (You can be upset, but not OMG crazy toxic upset.) Granted, you all seem like understanding and intelligent individuals who know how to stay level-headed. It's just that the Thomas fandom is very venomous and toxic and maybe I was assuming that it'd be the same here (it is a little with certain people on this forum who I won't mention).

As for the likelihood of Stepney in CGI, I think he has a pretty good shot. Mattel may be interested in bringing him back for the same reason that you guys on this forum say he's marketable for Bachmann. He's a tank engine that would be easy to make in merchandise, he's a unique color, and he would peek the interest of the hard core fans... which Mattel might want to try and win back thanks to BWBA. And speaking of BWBA, despite Thomas heading off to Italy next season, hanging out with Gina and meeting new friends like Lorenzo and Pepe, I think Stepney could still get in. The show still features Sodor a good deal and it's evident that the writers still like to throw in unnecessary fan service, what with Terence and Bulgy in S21 and Cyril the Fogman in S22. Who knows. This is all just speculation. The times are changing what with Andrew Brenner leaving the show after S23 and who knows what's going to happen next. I guess we'll have to wait and see. "But that's a story for another day."

This may be my last big post for a while. I drop a few quick replies here and there but finals are coming up and they'll take up most of my time alongside other forums I've recently joined. So I guess I'll see you guys around. Good Night. Peace.
HLC Railroad

Steam Locomotive Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: December 11, 2018, 10:59:34 AM »

Based on what Iíve seen I personally think they just removed Stepney until someone takes the time to clean his wheels and chassis. His wheels were almost completely black from the oil that just sits there and covers them. Pretty sure based on the condition that they went to go run him in the morning and he either didnít move or was making a horrible sound. Or they blew out another motor. He hasnít been gone that long. Iím kind of hoping it was sold to a collector such as Thomas Tank Merch who faithfully restores the original props. I donít see them making a Stepney render especially since Andrew Brenner wonít be working on the show anymore, and the way the show is going it doesnít look like theyíll be doing anything but introducing new character for a while. But just in case, hereís a render someone made. This is how it should look in CGI.

But maybe weíll get a nice surprise, but based on whatís happened to TrackMaster and Wooden Railway, I unfortunately donít see the Bachmann line continuing too much longer. Mattel seems interested in finding cheap alternatives for high prices and this is not cheap. Itís kind of sad seeing whatís happened to the franchise over the past year or so.

On more positive news, if that Thomas replica can easily be rigged to run, I may get one. The eyes move and I know itíd be easy to rig up an eye mechanism. Hopefully this upcoming year will bring good news, thatís as much as we can hope for.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 11:03:36 AM by HLC Railroad » Logged

With all these people building their own replica Thomas characters, soon we may have no choice but to have 4K Thomas and Friends remakes.

Thomas:Done | James:Recently Complete | Sir Handel:Finished | Gordon: Needs Paint and Eye Mechanism | Henry: Cad and Chassis

Need I say more?
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: December 11, 2018, 09:59:38 PM »

But maybe weíll get a nice surprise, but based on whatís happened to TrackMaster and Wooden Railway, I unfortunately donít see the Bachmann line continuing too much longer. Mattel seems interested in finding cheap alternatives for high prices and this is not cheap. Itís kind of sad seeing whatís happened to the franchise over the past year or so.

I feel like if any range were to be dropped it would probably be the large scale range, considering their announcements being recolors over the last three years and Diesel's cancellation.  I think the HO and narrow gauge ranges will probably do okay for the next couple of years, but like recent years, they probably will have one or maybe two new tooling announcements a year at a push.

Definitely agreed on seeing how sad things have been witnessing how Mattel has been handling the Thomas and Friends brand.  At the same time, can you really blame Andrew Brenner for stepping down?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 10:02:15 PM by Chaz » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 80 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: