The 10/15 issue of Model Railroader has an ad for a Bachmann N scale PRR K4

Started by spookshow, August 21, 2015, 03:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kewatin

mark i trust your posting will not be removed like mine was and i just posted that a photographer had taken photos at the nmra convention of loco xxxx in n scale with sound and it was deleted. if true the pennsy folks are going to go nuts.it took a long time but hopefully a pacific has finally arrived& if so kudos to bachmann.
regards&later  kewatin

spookshow

Well, I don't think I carry any more weight around here than anyone else does (as far as getting their posts deleted). But I must say, nice poker face on "Yardmaster" if this K4 thing turns out to be true. His lamentations about the lack of excitement over Bachmann's new/recent (non-locomotive) product announcements sort of led me to believe that there weren't any new locomotives on the horizon at all.

Quoting Ye Olde Yardmaster - "NMRA is coming soon and there will be new releases, but remember - they're not always locomotives!"

Cheers,
-Mark  ;)

kewatin

Another 8 days and the truth shall be known.either that or a lot of wasted advertising money to get a lot of  folks
peeved off.
regards&later KEWATIN

spookshow

The really crazy part is that the ad says that the models are "shipping now". A very stealthy release if that's the case.

Cheers,
-Mark

Mike C

I'm not an SPF , but I'll definitely take 1 , especially if I can get one in N&W .

brokemoto

Quote from: jmlaboda on August 21, 2015, 06:10:40 PM
What I want to know is...

"Where's the N&W one???"

Those were former PRR K-3.  They are close, but not quite.  PRR sold them to N&W without the tenders.  They had various tenders during their service on the N&W.  They lasted until the 1940s.  I bashed one from a TRIX.  The K-3 and the B-6 had the same cabs, so I sawed the cab from the K-4 shell, sawed the cab from the B-6 shell, fused the metal B-6 cab to the plastic K-4 boiler and had the locomotive.  The removal of the K-4 cab also required some cutting on the boiler, so it made the large BelPaire firebox on the K-4 a bit smalller.

I took an LL Y-3 tender to put behind it.  As people are no doubt aware, the first run LL Y-3 had a twelve wheels live tender that had no electrical connexion to the locomotive.  I did wire the LL tender to the TRIX 4-6-2 chassis.  The addition of twelve live feet improved the TRIX chassis' performance markedly.  Proof of Miranda's Maxim as explained by ke:  "The poor performance of many N scale steam locomotives is almost always directly attributable to poor electrical contact".

I will need to buy one just to see if the my bashed TRIX K-3/E-3 shell will go onto the B-mann chassis.  Wiring up the LL tender should be easy.  If that does not work, I could try sawing the cab from the B-mann shell and fusing another B-6 cab to it.

Piyer

~AJ Kleipass~
Proto-freelance modeling the Tri-State System c.1942
The layout is based upon the operations of the Delaware Valley Railway,
the New York, Susquehanna & Western, the Wilkes-Barre & Eastern,
the Middletown & Unionville, and the New York, Ontario & Western.

Bucksco

Wow! Bachmann is producing an N Scale K-4? I might have to get one of these..... :o

the Bach-man

I believe it was Ben Franklin who said "Two may keep a secret if one is dead...
the Bach-man

RGW

Bachmann You have made many a N scaler happy with this release. Who would have thought 20 years ago that Bachmann would be the main stay in producing such quality steam.
Good JOB.

I would think that there is going to be many Kitbash projects with this engine. Hopefully you will have K4 parts ( especially Boilers ) available.

With these new releases might the sound decoder be available to add to past dualmode DCC engines? So we could just plug and play. I have your USRA Lt 2-10-2   

brokemoto

Ain't it funny how road specific steam seems to sell.   Funny, too, how B-mann has not been hanging foobie road names on its road specific releases.

If this is to continue, I do wonder how far away is an N&W shrouded K-class?   The chassis is already there:  the USRA heavy 4-8-2.  The N&W shrouded K classes were either originals or copies of the USRA heavy 4-8-2.

gatrhumpy

TAKE MY MONEY NOW! I would like to know when they'll be released!

Bucksco