News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Drive tyres

Started by Robmanho, August 22, 2015, 06:55:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robmanho

HI folks. I have just returned to the world of model trains, with luck I managed to get back a lot of my rolling stock which a friend got from me but never used, along with some of my old locos. However this is what I'm stuck for. One of the locos I have just purchased from a second hand site here in NZ is a quite old Bachman 4-8-4 northern that appears to be brand new, or had minimal or no use. The rear drivers have rubber drive tyres on them unlike my other two. Who do I contact or does anyone know where I can get some? Many thanks Rob.

Hunt

Click Here for available Bachmann Parts Dept Traction Tires  info.

Looks like you need to visit a local model train store with your locomotive in hand.

Robmanho

Thanks for the response re drive tires (American spelling). My nearest hobby shop is a two hour drive but it may be worth the effort next time I'm over that way. Problem is that I don't think there is a Bachman importer or agent  here in NZ but I'll keep trying for something as the loco is too nice to become a yard queen. Thanks Rob.

Hunt

Consider using BULLFROG SNOT in place of the tractions tires if it is available from an in country source.

mabloodhound

take the engine to a local hardware store and check in the O-ring section to see if you can find a rubber o-ring to fit the wheel
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

GN.2-6-8-0

Quote from: mabloodhound on August 23, 2015, 10:50:06 AM
take the engine to a local hardware store and check in the O-ring section to see if you can find a rubber o-ring to fit the wheel

Keep in mind that the profile of a traction tire is flat where as on a standard O ring their round.....
Rocky Lives

Ckrails

Elastic bands for orthodontics (dental braces) come in various small sizes and you get lots of them for very little $$.  Measure the approximate diameter and width of the wheels where the traction tire (the name used here in the US) goes and get something slightly smaller.  For a vintage Mantua locomotive I bought 1/4" bands (sorry, I don't know the metric equivalent) that work great.

Robmanho

Thanks to all those who responded, I think the orthodontic way could be the answer. I'll check it out and come back with the answers I get. Thanks to all, Rob, NZ.