News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

L,O, & S freight cars

Started by HWTMilr, August 23, 2015, 08:23:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HWTMilr

For the Bachmann historians---
A number of years ago my parents gave me a Bachmann Big Haulers gondola for a Christmas gift. This car is brown in color, lettered LO&S 500.
My ? is: Did Bachmann produce any other Big Hauler cars lettered for the Lancaster, Oxford and Southern Railroad, a narrow gauge railroad in the southern Lancaster/Chester county area?
If so, please enlighten me as to what these cars were and does anyone have any they are willing to part with?
Any info will be greatly appreciated. I have a personal connection to this particular railroad.
Thanks a lot!
HWT Milr

Chuck N

That is a great story.  I have seen, over the years, a number of BH cars and have never seen one for that road.  Loco Bill will probably add a comment as he is the unofficial historian of all things large scale Bachmann.

There are people out there who do custom lettering, is it possible that your parents had the car specifically lettered for your gift?  If so that, that is a very special car.

Chuck

I correct myself.  I just did a Google search on Bachmann LO&S cars and some showed up.  No pictures that I could find, but they appear to be real.  I saw mention of gondolas and box cars.  Is it possible that they were a special run for the museum in Strasburg, Pa?

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi HWT Milr,

In 1994 Bachmann did produce a limited edition of 1200 of these gondola cars with an MSPP of $40. The LO&S roadname was not popular and other cars with that name were not made that I know of.   I only have one picture of one it is painted in a boxcar brownish red color and has the LO&S white lettering one board wide on the left one board down from the top to the right of the grab irons and the car number 500 in white on the right side one board down.

93750 LO&S   500   1994   Gondola   Lancaster Oxford & Southern   P             $40.00    Ltd Edition 1200

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Mark Oles

And here is a definitive work on the L, O&S.  I've seen this book in the RR Museum of PA's gift shop. Read a few of the images, it's got a lot more information in it than just some equipment.

http://www.amazon.com/Railroad-Timetables-Documents-Pennsylvanias-Railroad/dp/B00ECFLXLE/ref=pd_sim_14_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=03SPT03KAMED9DHWF5K1

Given this small railroad used 4-4-0 equipment, you could, if you were so inclined, obtain a Spectrum 4-4-0 and modify it to match the photos.  The Spectrum 4-4-0 and 2-6-0 are great locomotives based on 1876 models built by Baldwin.  The revised 2-6-0s' are due to be released in the near future.

HWTMilr

Thank you guys for the responses.
I doubt that my parents bought the gon at Strasburg RR but more than likely at Frey's Christmas Tree Shop a short distance from their home. Frey's had a multi-scale train shop along with a great holiday decoration store. Their shop and layouts were open all year but especially popular at Christmas time.
Bill, I would agree that the less than colorful car would generate much interest to produce any other cars in the L,O,&S lettering. Only those familiar with the little railroad would know what the lettering stood for.
There is also another publication about the L,O&S written by Benjamin E. F. Klein, Jr. It is titled "lLittle, Old, And Slow"' The life and trials of the Peach Bottom and Lancaster, Oxford, and Southern Railroads.
I am currently re-reading one of my two copies of this narrative.
As I mentioned in my original post that I have a personal connection in that my father's father, my grandfather was a conductor on the L,O&S. I have his cap-badge on display in my train room.
Thanks again to all.       HWR Milr