News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

k 27 head and marker lights?

Started by steambuff, August 24, 2015, 07:45:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steambuff

Have to replace both marker lights and headlight in my k 27,what is the voltage/miliamps rating,also I need the size and where to get those less.  Thanks,Manfred

Kevin Strong

All of the lights on the K-27 are LEDs, so replacing them is just a matter of cutting the leads on the LEDs that are there, and soldering in new ones. I use "warm white" LEDs harvested from strings of Christmas lights. (Where else ya gonna get 50 LEDs for under $5?)

The only trick is to make sure you solder in the new LEDs in the right orientation, as they're directional. (If they don't light up when power is applied, just reverse them.)

Later,

K

Loco Bill Canelos

Manfred,

It is very rare that the LED's burn out, especially 3 at once.  Before you tear into the lights double check to make sure the switch controlling the lights is turned on and or there is no problem with the circuit.

The Warm white christmas lights work great, and like Kevin I have salvaged many.  Looking at My K-27 I am not totally sure they will work in the markers,  electronics stores have mini LED's that would work for sure, you could take out the LED's and go to an electronics store and buy an appropriate size LED.  The internal resistors will be sufficient to insure you do not burn them up.

If you have a muiltimeter you can check the polarity and then install the LED's accordingly.  You can also use it to check the continuity of the circuit right at each LED.  If you do not get a reading then the LED may not be the problem, if you get a reading but the LED does not light up then unless the polarity is wrong the LED is bad.

Good luck with your repair.

Bill

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

on30gn15

While I don't have a K-27, only Big Hauler 4-6-0, I can say that, yes, the battery operated strings of 3mm diameter warm white "mini" LED work grandly. Have a PRR 4-6-0 which without much trouble got some slipped inside I think it was Aristocraft marker lamps of the sort-of spherical variety.

What still amuses me is how the hard-core geeks on a sci-fi and real space modeling forum were emphatically telling people, "Oh, don't use the LED from Christmas lights, they are cheap and burn out quick and you will have to rip apart your model to replace them Panic panic emergency!!!" Really? I had a string of them up around the door in one room and they were left on 24/7 except for thunderstorms and trips out of town - and when 3 years later I took them down to finally get around to stripping the LED for projects, all LED were working.

(And then I put a 10mm super bright LED in the PRR loco's headlight, but that's another story ... it lights up the neighbors' house)  ;D
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest