Turnout into DCC reverse loop has no power

Started by MattC, August 28, 2015, 05:56:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattC

Hi all, I am really baffled and would appreciate your help! I have a DCC layout with a reverse loop at each end.
There is an auto reverse module at each loop, I gapped the track in the same places, but only one of the reverse loops is working.
Here is a photo.

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad200/MatCKP/Turnout_zpsll7l87s8.jpg

The area of track highlighted in blue has no power but all other track does and I can't figure out why. Really need your help!

—Matt

Hunt

Click Here is the loop wired per the diagram in this segment of Bachmann video?

If it is, then swap the reverse loop modules  - does the problem go to the loop that was working?

If it does not, then remove the problem turnout and connect power to just the standalone turnout and test for power to both routes of the turnout.

jward

looking at your photo it appears that one of the point rails is not conducting power.  you can try a jumper between the bottom rail in the photo, and the corresponding rail on the curved route. try it with a set of alligator clip jumpers before you try anything permanent. with the rails jumpered, your locomotive should operate normally through the switch.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

MattC

Hi Hunt, thanks for your advice. I do believe that I am wired the same as was shown in the diagram. I swapped the modules last night and still have the same problem. I will isolate the turnout and test for power as you suggested--I will let you know what happens. Thanks!

MattC

Hi Jward thanks for your advice--I will try this evening and let you know how it goes!

RAM

To me it looks like a very simple problem.  From what you show , you are losing power at the joint in the turn out.  It has nothing to do with the reverse loop.  You can either repair the turnout or replace it.

MattC

Turns out it was the dang turnout. I replaced it and it is running fine now.

Thanks for all your suggestions, I really appreciate your responding!

jward

the problem you described is no  uncommon and affects other brands as well. relying on just the points and hinges to route power to the track beyond isn't very reliable. but don't throw the piece away. if you jumper around the trouble area you will have another switch you can use elsewhere on the layout.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA