Spectrum 83902 HO 4-8-4 Class J will not run forward

Started by MLJ, August 29, 2015, 04:17:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MLJ

New out-of-box Spectrum #83902 HO 4-8-4 N&W Class J loco with Tsunami sound will not operate in forward direction.  Operates in reverse direction and all Tsunami functions operate correctly.  Any suggestions to fix?

richardl

Welcome.

What DCC system are you using?

Usually the first thing to do is a decoder rest if running issues. CV8, enter 8. Disconnect power to loco. Connect power and it should run on address 3.
I have done that at times.

Rich

MLJ

I originally tried powering off and restarting using address 03.  It runs fine backwards and all decoder functions operate.  It just will not run forward.  It acts like a siderod bind, but cannot see it binding in forward or reverse. 

rogertra

Quote from: MLJ on August 30, 2015, 04:23:08 PM
I originally tried powering off and restarting using address 03.  It runs fine backwards and all decoder functions operate.  It just will not run forward.  It acts like a siderod bind, but cannot see it binding in forward or reverse. 

Did you try a decoder reset, which is what Rich suggested below?

Set CV 8 to 8 and see what happens.

Powering off and restarting is not a decoder reset.

Cheers

Roger T.

MLJ

Thanks for suggestions, Roger and Rich.  But before my first posting, I originally had reset decoder CV8 to 8 before the reboot to address default 03.  It did not correct issue.

Joe Satnik

MLJ,

I suspect a bad decoder.

Does the flywheel turn freely (by hand, controller off) in both directions?

Is there a DCC plug? 

Can you put in the DC jumper plug and try to run with an old analog DC power pack?

Let us know.

Thanks.

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.