News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-4-0 and 2-6-0 part updates

Started by Chris9017, July 22, 2015, 07:20:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris9017

My Olive Green Russian Iron 4-4-0 is aging, and with the wiring all worn out, it needs a new board.   That is not a problem, but also there is cosmetic wear and tear on the paint work.  A new cab, along with new wheels given how sharp the flanges are becoming, a new head lamp bracket, and possibly domes.   Those parts are not shown for the Olive Green 4-4-0 or the Lake Russian Iron 4-4-0, or Eureka & Palisade 4-4-0.   Only black and red wheels are what are shown, the correct colors of cabs, boilers, domes, wheels, tenders, head lamps, and brackets should be offered, because those who run their beautiful 4-4-0 Americans a lot will need new parts both mechanically, and cosmetically, like how the C-19 has them available.

Also the Spectrum 2-6-0 Mogul needs a bigger inventory of parts.  The boilers, cabs, frames, cylinders, brackets, pilots, "blind center drive wheels", brake pumps and brake shoe assemblies should be offered in the inventory.  Also the bottom cover plates on these 4-4-0s and 2-6-0s fall apart and break all the time so new ones, possibly metal cover plates should be offered because the plastic ones are fragile when and break when needing to remove the gear box to replace the drive gears.

I hope this is noticed and these parts get offered in the future.  There are a lot of aging locomotives that run, and with them being available on the K-27, and C-19s, they should also be offered on the Spectrum 4-4-0s and 2-6-0s.

Thank you. :)

zubi

You know Chris, there are a lot of old locomotives around. A few lucky ones end up on displays, but the vast majority on scrap yards... This happens in real life and in model life. Best wishes from Tokyo, Zubi

Loco Bill Canelos

PHi Chris,
Parts availability may not come in time to help you.  In your case running your locomotive heavily has led to high wear not generally found in the hobby.  Most do not use their locomotive(s) as often as you seem to do, and probably have a much lower need for parts than you do.  Unfortunately this leads to a situation where parts supply, especially small individual parts are not economical to keep in stock. 

Looking at the 2-6-0 it came out in 2000 and 2001, making them 14 or 15years old.  The 4-4-0 came out in 2000 as well and some were rerun in 2007 including the one you have.  If you got it in 2007 is is eight years old and getting pretty old by any standard.  Also nothing lasts forever.

You may want to consider sending it in under the generous Bachmann Warranty, but should call first to see what options you may have and to see if they will replace the cab or the entire loco and see if the same loco is even available. 

Looking at the parts that are available, it seems to me that you can get everything you need to rebuild the mechanics of your 4-4-0 including the PCB and wheels and the headlight bracket.  At worst you may have to do a little painting to match the loco you have.  Repainting the boiler and cab would clearly be more difficult but not impossible.  New lettering can be ordered from custom decal makers such as Cedarleaf Custom Decals to reletter your locomotive.  Also you can consider weathering your locomotive to create the appearance of a hardworking older locomotive.

If you are not wanting to do all the work associated with rebuilding your locomotive,  you may want to consider replacing your worn out 4-4-0 with a new one(or possibly used but rarely run).  In this way your old loco can become a parts loco to keep a newer one going longer.  I was just at the National Garden RR Convention in Denver and  noticed that some dealers had the 4-4-0's and the 2-6-0's new in the box or used, but not necessarily the same as yours(I wasn't really looking).

Looking at automobiles for example, most folks replace their older worn out cars with something newer when the cost of repairs gets excessive.  The same is true of real railroads who replace their worn out locomotives with new ones, or in the case of some shortlines buy newer used locomotives.  In our modeling world much is the same when a locomotive gets worn out, so considering all things, a new or newer replacement may be your best bet.

As  for the 2-6-0's many parts are also available for it as well, but not to the level as for the 4-4-0.

Good luck with your locomotive which ever solution you choose!!

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Chris9017

I know I can replace the board and wiring no problem, and that is what I will do for sure.  But I have also decided that the engine has WAY too much sentimental value to me to be retired, so she will be ran less, but a new Olive Green engine will be bought if and only IF the cosmetic parts cannot be obtained.

I was part of a model railroad club that went all over the San Francisco Bay Area, and we'd run our trains like no tomorrow.  They would run hard, fast, over sharp curves up steep grades, and my Olive Green 4-4-0 was a club favorite because A she was beautiful, B she was reliable and saved us several times when other engines broke down even going as far as to pull 9 heavy Spectrum Freight cars and a caboose by herself without a problem, and C she wasn't at as cantankerous as many other model locomotives.   Because of this, the Olive Green 4-4-0, along with my old Spectrum Oregon Lumber Company Heisler have aged, and have been pushed passed their limits from which Bachmann designed for.

Motors, gear boxes, circuit boards, are replaceable, but cosmetic parts are sadly not because cosmetic wear and tear doesn't come into account until it actually happens.   Also repainting the wheels, cab, domes, and boiler would be impossible given how delicate, exquisite, and meticulous the tiny pin-striping is. 

I am not too worried about the Mogul parts since new generation Moguls are coming out this Christmas, so new parts are bound to be available for them, allowing older moguls to be repaired like how the old shays & climaxes can be repaired thanks to the newer Shay and Climax parts being readily available.

Loco Bill Canelos

Chris,

Definitely understand!

Good luck with your baby!!!!

Bill

Chris9017

Thanks Bill. 

I am still hopeful with new mogul parts given that the parts, regardless of generation, will still pretty much be essentially interchangeable.

Loco Bill Canelos

You are welcome Chris,

Please post any new info on parts for these great locos when you can!

Bill

Chris9017

It would be nice if the 4-4-0s and Spectrum 2-6-0s would receive replacement smoke box ring doors like all the other engines have, because the smoke box doors always break from the constant opening and closing.   Hopefully they will be produced in the future.