News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

ez controler malfunctions

Started by papadee2623, August 29, 2015, 11:31:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

papadee2623

my ez controller is acting goofy.  no matter what i do when i turn the unit on the led flashes quickly and address 1 is flashing too. no direction selection is possible. i cant even change address. nothing works except unplugging the track from controller.  the manual is no help. there is no troubleshooting segment about this issue...   I am very frustrated now. every thing bachmann has worked very poorly for me.  anybody have this problem with the ez controller .

Hunt

The flashing LEDs you describe indicates a short circuit.

The short circuit is covered around the 8:21 mark of the E-Z Command Part 1 video.
Click Here to start Part 1 video at the short circuit segment.

Click Here for all four parts of the Bachmann videos about the E-Z Command system.

papadee2623

after some testing i have verified that my track configuration is too large for a single power supply. at count the system works at 60 pieces of track. but at 68 pieces which finishes a loop the controller does the flashing fit. I am curently look for information on segmented power districts.  can any help.

ACY

Your problem is not the size/length of your layout. The problem is you are creating a reversing section that is causing a short circuit. You need to use insulating rail joiners and an automatic reversing module to rectify the situation or simply remove the offending reversing loop.

jward

Quote from: papadee2623 on August 30, 2015, 11:20:38 AM
after some testing i have verified that my track configuration is too large for a single power supply. at count the system works at 60 pieces of track. but at 68 pieces which finishes a loop the controller does the flashing fit. I am curently look for information on segmented power districts.  can any help.

I would highly suggest you read up on electrical theory. an overload on your supply would not be caused by too much track. something is putting a short circuit across your power supply and it is trying to tell you to shut it down and correct the problem before it goes up in smoke. you should be able to connect as much track as you want without ever shorting out your power supply, unless, as acy said, you have a reversing section where the track loops back on itself.

get a book on model railroad wiring, and read up on reversing sections to see if this applies to your track. if not, look for something metal laying across the rails.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA