News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO coupler clip

Started by quark51, August 31, 2015, 12:01:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quark51

I have a ho scale silver series freight car that came with one of the silver series train sets and I had to change one of the couplers and lost the clip that held the coupler in place, where can I get a replacement clip? They similar to the clips that Athearn uses on their blue box freight cars but without the hole.

jbrock27

By "clip", do you mean the flat, rectangular black plastic piece that acts like a cover or lid when you put the screw through the hole to keep the coupler in place?
Keep Calm and Carry On

electrical whiz kid

Jim;
He said it is a clip "similar to the ones on the Athearn 'blue box' series".  This would tell me that it is one of those  steel clips that snapped over the coupler, thus enclosing the box and retaining the coupler.  If the Athearn one is somewhat interchangeable, why not find one and try to use it?  OR...  You can go into the 'parts' on this site and find what you are looking for; or simply drop a dime and call them.

Rich

jbrock27

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on August 31, 2015, 08:37:50 AM
Jim;
He said it is a clip "similar to the ones on the Athearn 'blue box' series".  This would tell me that it is one of those  steel clips that snapped over the coupler, thus enclosing the box and retaining the coupler. 
Rich

Very observeant of you Rich.  He also said this...

Quote from: quark51 on August 31, 2015, 12:01:50 AM
...similar to the clips that Athearn uses on their blue box freight cars but without the hole.

So, I am confused about this no hole business, which is why I asked my question.  Both the Athearn metal clips and Silver Series lids that I am familar with, have holes.  And Silver Series uses a screw, through a hole, to secure the lid.  So...
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

I have to agree with Jim on this one. I just checked a dozen Silver Series cars I own, and every one of them has a screw holding the plastic coupler cover in place. The only cars using snap on metal lids I'm aware of are Athearn, old Lionel HO, and some really old Mantua cars.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

electrical whiz kid

Len;
That is OK.  As a rule, I use screws on all trucks and couplers, drawbars, etc.  I once found out the hard way about gluing covers on coupler pockets...  Boy-that was a long reach!  ...And those bats...

RIch C.

jbrock27

Why would anyone ever glue a lid on a coupler gearbox/pocket ::) ???
Keep Calm and Carry On

electrical whiz kid

Because there, Jimbo;
I was in a hurry to get some Athearn passenger cars I had just remodeled with diaphrams, lighting, etc.;-all that was missing was the clinking of glasses in the bar car..  Well, Jim, as fate would have it, I got a call to do an emergency job, and like a good electrician (who caught the scent of money) I was on my way.  Got back late, called it a day (night?), and promptly forgot about the glue.  The rest-well, you know...

RIch C.

jbrock27

Like they say, haste makes waste.
Keep Calm and Carry On