Are LGB, Bachmann, Piko and other maker's G scale brass track compatable?

Started by bcochran, September 02, 2015, 11:04:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bcochran

I have some Piko track and looking on ebay, it seems like all brass track from the various companies looks the same as my Piko track. Can you mix Piko and LBG and other makers track?

Thanks for the information

Chuck N

Deleted, I was trying to modify it and things got messed up.  See post below.

Chuck

Chuck N

If they are all code 332 they are.  Code 332, is the heigh of the rail in thousands of an inch.  There are other heights out there.  Bachmann "G" steel track does not easily match up and it will rust badly if used outside.

Chuck

The profile of the rail can be slightly different between the various manufacturers.  This might require some fiddling to put them together.  Matching up LGB and Aristo took a little effort, more than Aristo to Aristo, or LGB to LGB.  Removing the rail joiners and using rail clamps will give better long term connections, especially outdoors.

The different manufacturers have used different alloys of brass.  The rail sides will darken at different rates.  From my experience, LGB will have dark sides while Aristo still looks brassy.

StanAmes

While all code 332 track is interchangeable, the quality of the brass uses by the different manufacturers differs.  Also different is how the track is designed and how closely it follows the standards.

Piko and Bachmann brass track are two of the best designed track systems out there in my opinion.

Stan

Loco Bill Canelos

My Bachmann brass track works very well with other brands, and weathers very nicely outdoors.  On my indoor layout I paint the sides of my brass track to make it look more realistic. 
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!