News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Motor type

Started by Hunt, September 03, 2015, 10:40:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunt

Yardmaster,

Ref the all new tooling HO American 4-4-0.  What type motor,  core or coreless?

electrical whiz kid

Hunt;
Wouldn't a  standard five-pole brushless motor be the ideal drive for any engine Bachmann has in it's inventory?  To me, without the friction issue of brushes, it is a good choice.  What reason would you have to do a coreless?
Brushless motors are finally making a consumer level appearance, as in power tools, etc.  To me, this is still new technology, and is such, tend not to be cheap.

Rich C.

Hunt

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on September 04, 2015, 07:44:09 PM
Hunt;
Wouldn't a  standard five-pole brushless motor be the ideal drive for any engine Bachmann has in it's inventory?  . . .

If I have the same thing in mind as you for 'standard five-pole brushless motor' then --

Perhaps if motor torque RPM  is right for the propose, size is right for purpose, will work with the DCC decoder's use of Back EMF and locomotive still meet Bachmann's price point, etc., etc..  ;)

Rich C., you the person who years ago told me you worked with electrical stuff all day and did not want to come home and face DCC? And I told you, you better not try DCC or you would be hooked.

electrical whiz kid

Rich C., you the person who years ago told me you worked with electrical stuff all day and did not want to come home and face DCC? And I told you, you better not try DCC or you would be hooked.

Hunt; yeah-but that was before I was "retired".
In one of the trade issues, there was an article some years back, dealing with-yep-you guessed it:  Brushless and coreless motors.  I remember back when for example, thyratron tubes were widely used in DC control.  A part of that article lent itself to motor controls...Boy, how things change and yet stay the same!
Rich C.

Bucksco

Coreless motor.
Dia. 7.0 x 27.4mm Double end shaft (23000 rpm)
It will work fine with DCC.

electrical whiz kid

Yardmaster;
With 23,k RPM, how would you approach this motor with the aspect of gear reduction, etc...any?
I as yet, haven't really gotten into the motors [that Bachmann] uses in the locomotives, other than knowing they are vatly different than what we have seen in earlier production.
For example, I have a couple of "pre-spectrum" 2-8-0 W/Wotten fireboxes that I am going to do some modification on.  A part of that deals with re-motoring.  I had, up 'til now, decided to go with Mashima motors.  Your thoughts?
Rich C.

Bucksco

Sorry Rich but that's not something that I can answer for you. We rely on our engineers at the factory to work out things of this nature.

Len

Quote from: Yardmaster on September 07, 2015, 08:49:04 AM
Coreless motor.
Dia. 1.0 x 27.4mm Double end shaft (23000 rpm)

Is the "1.0" mm, cm, or inch diameter? And any idea what the shaft diameter is?

Thanks,
Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

richardl

Quote from: Len on September 08, 2015, 07:12:34 PM
Quote from: Yardmaster on September 07, 2015, 08:49:04 AM
Coreless motor.
Dia. 1.0 x 27.4mm Double end shaft (23000 rpm)

Is the "1.0" mm, cm, or inch diameter? And any idea what the shaft diameter is?

Thanks,
Len

I would say 10mm as I have a couple coreless that are about 12mm in diameter. Shaft on mine are 1.5mm which is fairly common for a motor this size.
All my tender drive locos have 1.5mm dia shafts.

Rich

electrical whiz kid

Len; if this stuff (and most of it does) comes from overseas manufacturers, it would be a pretty accurate guess that it is dimensioned in metric. 
For all of you: Info:  Metric is not hard to learn; it is a bit tricky initially to get accustomed to, but it is also a great tool in itself!

Yardmaster:  Not a problem.  I will try to get my own specs there (or from an importer: Sister in law speaks Cantonese); otherwise, I may forego the process and do my own math.

RIch C.

Len

Rich,

I figured it was probably metric, it's the '1.0' that throws me. The other dimension is given as 27.4mm, but the engineer in me likes dimensions labeled, and finds a motor diameter of 1.0mm hard to believe. I suspect it's actually 1.0cm, or 10mm if you prefer, and would like to know for sure.

I'm curious about the shaft diameter because, once they're available from the parts store, I have a couple of projects in mind a motor this size would be perfect for. And I could start gathering the pieces now if I knew the actual drive shaft diameter.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

richardl

Plenty of Metric converters online. Even Apps for smart-phones or tablets.
I have a digital calliper handy which helps a lot. Cheap enough to buy. Every modeller should have one.

Some of my motors are 12mm x 27mm.  A couple can motors are oval, 12mm x 15mm x 27.5 mm. !.5 dia shafts.
Some years ago I used Sagami can motors, 16mm x 20mm. With added flywheel, they measure 31 mm. Was a great motor.

Rich

electrical whiz kid

Rich;
Sagami makes-among other things-great motors.  I have run across their brand in my work as an electrician, and have found what they have to be good, in terms of industrial equipment.

As I mentioned earlier on here, I am looking at the Mashima, Buelher,  line of motors.  I have not gotten much into motors so far, but I find myself being drawn into the aspect more and more; especially as I am modifying my Bachmann roster.  They are nice engines, and look great, but to me, don't seem to be particularly good pullers, thus my interest in motor modification.  As I am modeling bridge line/New England settings, Most of my heavy-duty stuff won't find a place on the layout-thus far...  So, most of the freights will be of the 15-car range; and wooden passenger cars, as well as Mikes being probably the biggest power. 

You do bring up a good point about the calipers:  I have an old Brown and Sharp US standard dial caliper I use a lot; and a Mitsutoyo set, and am used to the math conversions; but some newcomers getting into this aspect of the hobby might find your suggestion very helpful-with the dual-type digital dial calipers.  In my case, my trade has always been thought of in metric standards anyways, so that has made it easier for me.

Rich C.

Bucksco

Diameter is actually 7.0mm - sorry about the typo.

richardl

Quote from: Yardmaster on September 09, 2015, 10:21:18 AM
Diameter is actually 7.0mm - sorry about the typo.

Wow. Lot smaller than I figured. I bet people are going to want to buy this motor for other locos.
Nice job Bachmann.

Rich