Spectrum 3 truck 70 ton Shay bevel gear split

Started by Kslrr, September 09, 2015, 12:12:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kslrr

The driveline bevel gears on my Shay split after about 2 years.  Even though it would be covered by the warranty, it is actuslly less costly to purchase 3 new trucks or just the drivelines.  My question is: was the manufacturing fault corrected?  The fault is that the gears are too tight when they are pressed onto the shafts.  This has been a similar issue with many HO and N engines over the years.  I have an older N 2-8-2 that I'm not sure how I'm going to fix.

the Bach-man

Dear K,
Please call the service department.
They'll be happy to help.
Thanks!
the Bach-man

mkbradley

3 of my 4 Shays are now out of action.  I have bought 3 sets of driveline replacements and they now function mechanically.  However, now I am plagued by derailments that I never had before. I have tried everything.  Now I am having to ... the horror ... replace my Shays with Heislers.  What can I do to save my Shays?

richardl

Quote from: mkbradley on October 21, 2015, 08:54:54 PM
3 of my 4 Shays are now out of action.  I have bought 3 sets of driveline replacements and they now function mechanically.  However, now I am plagued by derailments that I never had before. I have tried everything.  Now I am having to ... the horror ... replace my Shays with Heislers.  What can I do to save my Shays?

Welcome.

You should start a new threaded instead of hijacking one. Usually easier to keep track of.

Rich

mkbradley

If I was not clear, the problem started with split bevel gears ... didn't realize this was called a hijack ...

jbrock27

Quote from: mkbradley on October 21, 2015, 09:01:29 PM
... didn't realize this was called a hijack ...

Try to forgive him, he can get very 'particular' about things ::)
Keep Calm and Carry On

DAVE2744

Kslrr - this from my post earlier in 2015: Personal Message (Online)    

70Ton 3 truck Shay gears
« on: January 13, 2015, 01:21:47 AM »    Reply with quote Modify message Remove message
Just replaced broken gears on my Shay, early production w/factory DCC&Sound.  Received parts on the morning of the 3rd business day!  Impressed.  What a value for the dollar.  The "parts" I ordered were side frames, gears, shafting - or so I thought.  What I got for $10 each, was a fully assembled side frame ready to screw onto the truck bolster.  It even had the correct slip joints and universals already installed.  Just a point of information, my Shay gave no evidence of cracked gears, it ran flawlessly.  After reading another posting, I got curious, and sure enough, 4 out of 6 gears were cracked.  I bought 3 sets, I don't think I'll be around for the change over of the third set!  Anyone with these Shays and cracked gears, don't hesitate to get the B'mann side frames.
As I noted in a post on another forum, same user name, the trucks are v-e-r-y finicky when being put back together. 
You must make sure the flexible universal rings have not been dislodged from the shaft universal pins.  Very difficult to see this.
I also just tighten  the frame side screws very gently, just enough to hold the frame, and then put a bit of Walthers
goo to make sure it does not come loose.  The frame can actually find it's own position to run smoothly.
The new gears appear to have more beef to the hub area so they may resist cracking.  Time will tell.  Good luck.

WoundedBear

Quote from: Br 98.75 on October 23, 2015, 11:41:22 PM
NWSL sells a regearing kit http://shop.osorail.com/product.sc?productId=1935&categoryId=-1
my store also carries them

Those gears you linked to are for Large Scale.....not HO.

NWSL is out of stock on the HO gear set and has no plans of producing another run at this moment.

Sid

Br 98.75

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On