Wiring for multiple locomotive operation on DC layout using Bachmann EZ track

Started by j.leonard, June 15, 2016, 11:04:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j.leonard

Is there a guide on how to wire Bachmann EZ track for multiple train operation?  I am a novice at electronics but love to design and run ho scale trains layouts.  I have one now that uses multiple power packs for running trains on separate lines, but I would love to cross these trains over onto other lines if I knew how to do the wiring or knew what equipment I need to do this.   My quandary is that terminal tracks are already hard-wired, so I don't know how controllers would be used.   This is DC layout, NOT DCC.

Len

There are a number of books availble from Kalmbach Publishing https://kalmbachhobbystore.com/catalog/model-trains/books and Atlas on wiring layouts for block operation using DC power packs.

And you don't actually have to use the EZ-Track power terminals. You can solder wires directly to the rails or rail joiners of the EZ-Track where you need them. If you don't know how to solder yet, it's a skill that's easy to learn and you'll find invaluable as you go along. Even for nonrailroading purposes. There are lots of 'How To' videos on YouTube. Insulating gaps can be cut with a Dremel cut-off disc or fine-tooth Zona saw.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jbrock27

jleno, you will want to explore and learn about "Common Rail Wiring".  Glad Len mentioned YouTube bc one of the best vids/tutorials I have found lies there. 
One footnote about replacing the rail joiners on EZ with insulated ones-it can be very difficult to do without destroying things, frankly, it can be a real pain in the a$$.  So I would second Len's
suggestion of cutting gaps in the rails, instead of replacing n/s rail joiners with insulated ones.

Which kind of EZ track are you using btw, steel or n/s?
Keep Calm and Carry On