News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Walthers 150 ton coaling tower

Started by SteamGene, November 10, 2007, 10:29:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

I'm building the Walther's 150 ton concrete coaling tower for South River Yard's engine facility.  The kit comes with the bunker roof and the parts for the dump house molded in a dark gray color.  I'm thinking that  painting them alumninum or silver and then dullcoting afterwards would look more prototypical.  Thought?  The dump house looks like it's made of corragated siding and roofing.  
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

r.cprmier

Gene;
Go out and check out both the condition of roofs as well as the colour they have taken on.  One thought:  Most roofs I have seen in the real world, are well-taken care of, and corrugated material is no exception.  I think consideration to this end is very important; one would unlikely find rusted out roofing on an existing operating facility; yet a lot of that business exists on model railroad layouts.  To each his/her own, I say; but to me, a logical approach is the best avenue.

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

SteamGene

Rich,
Any rust would be minor - around fasteners.  My question is leaving it the gray it came in, or making the gray parts metal colored and then muted.  The C&O towers I've seen have concrete roofs, but matching the concrete color of the bunker and its supports might be hard, so I have no real problem with a metal roof.  I'm just wondering about the color - the dark gray doesn't look right, somehow.  And then one gets "Oh, the Walthers 150 ton coaling tower.."
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

r.cprmier

Gene;
Rust aside; nature, as in a straight line, abhors consistency in texture and colour.  You can track variations to the nines if you want.  To me, just follow a logical rule of thumb, and that is that the oxidation process begins almost immediately, from the moment the workmen put up their tools and go home.  I tend to keep toward the lighter colours for two reasons:  one is that oxidation tends toward that anyway; and two, that a lighter colour-especially any verigation-will stand out in its own right and enhance your effort.

As  modeller, I tend to stay away from a kit "by the rules," and will almost always vary from the instructions a little, trying to avoid that "Oh, the Walthers 150-ton coaling tower" comment.  This is why I pretty much do not build "kit" kits, but go off on my own theme; whether it be geographical considerations, business volume-you name it.  I take my cue from the likes of Sellios, Van Gelder, Mason, et al, and will use a variety of material.
  I am fooling around with the idea of building that coaling tower at Cedar Hill in New Haven, Ct.  I have Don Tichy's parts for same-they have been mouldering away for a couple of years-as if aging makes them better...Only with cheese, wine, and women!  But as soon as I put the finishing touches on the two engines, I am going to lay out that facility and explore the plausibility of that monster on my layout!  Next time I am down there and can get into the yard, I will take a bunch of pics with my trusty "yard stick" and digital.  OK, the stew is about ready.  Bon Apetit!!

Rich   
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Stephen D. Richards

Gene, I know very little about Coaling Towers but I do know about metal roofs in that area of the coutry.  Corrigated metal was always painted a very reflective silver each year.  It never lasted that bright silver but that is how it was painted.  It would dull in a couple of months but still be silver.  However, the tar that was mixed in the paint would then begin to come through.  It would appear as dark or black streaks.  Might be difficult to do but that is close.     Stephen

SteamGene

I'm getting the message "Change the color."  I think that's best.  Obviously the whole thing will get a shot of Dullcote  before it's over. And some smoke stains.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

SteamGene

That's the one.  Plans label it at 150 tons and it looks about that size.  It has two chutes, one under the  bunker and one beside it. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

SteamGene

I've painted my bunker roof and the dump house to look like a different order of concrete - I used a spray can of a shade called "Fossil."  I haven't decided whether the dump house roof will be metal or concrete - I think it's thickness calls for concrete.  As I said, the sand house is actually a concrete F-M tower, much taller than what you have.   From the roundhouse, it will PROBABLY be
1.  coaling tower
2.  sand tower and standpipes
3.  water standpipes
4.  ash dump
That way an entering loco can dump cinders and either resupply going in or coming out.   The supply track for coal, water, and ash removal will be the same track, perhaps making for an interesting switching problem, but keeping the slope to the coal dump at the end of the track. 
I'm having fun cutting the walkways for the sand tower.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

rogertra

Gene

I have the same set up, as you can just tell by the photo.  My arriving engine service is arranged for water, to top off the tank, ash disposal, sand, then coal then a turn on the table.

The loco in the photo is standing on the "In Bound" track, the "Ready track" is closest to the lens.  The water column is just out of the photo to the right and is used to top off tanks of arriving and departing locos.

The ash disposal plant is a new addition, added with the turntable upgrade.  It replaces a wheeled conveyor belt which has been moved to the enginehouse in Berger Yard.  And yes, the ash plant will get a hut on the top to cover the machinery.

You may have noticed that I only have a coal chute under the tower, I didn't bother to add the coal chute to the outside position though I may add it, if I can find it after all these years.  :-)

I decided that my coal tower roofs would be covered in "tarpaper" to give some relief to the all concrete look.

SteamGene

Roger,
Why the boxcar red for the coal dump house?  I plan on painting it alumninum/silver and then dulling it. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

rogertra

"Roger,
Why the boxcar red for the coal dump house?  I plan on painting it alumninum/silver and then dulling it. "

Although the sides look as though they are supposed to be corrugated iron, I thought that the structure needed some relief from being all concrete and galvanised corrugated iron.

So I painted the coal tower roofs to represent asphalt roofing and the inside and the outside of the walls and the trim tuscan, the GER's stock colour for buildings and building trim, and left only the coal dump roof galvanised iron. 

I feel that this combination ties the coaling tower and other roundhouse structures together

One day, I'll clad the outside with a suitable wooden siding.  :-)

SteamGene

Makes sense.  I'm not really sure how much detail will be obvious as I think the closest anybody can come to the coaling tower will be about four feet.  South River Yard and the mainline will be between a viewer and the engine service area. 
I have one of the Bachmann coaling tower kits they came out with about 10 years ago which I may put in Hannahville.  It will require tearing up some track - b ut ....
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

rogertra

Quote from: SteamGene on November 14, 2007, 06:37:07 PMI have one of the Bachmann coaling tower kits they came out with about 10 years ago which I may put in Hannahville.  It will require tearing up some track - b ut ....
Gene

Be brave, I just tore out a perfectly good roundhouse and turntable so I could install a better one.  Go on, just do it!  :-)