News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

heisler with sound

Started by william webb, September 07, 2015, 09:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

william webb

I recently purchased one of the above locomotives but it is giving me problems, it has a sound module and I do not want it there.
The reason is it takes too much power for both of my power packs to get it to run well, one of the power packs is brand new and i thought it would be able to handle it but it just sits on the track with the headlight on but will not move.

Any body have any thoughts on this?.

Thanks

William Webb

Hunt

The decoder,  with or without the sound module, will work best in analog mode when using a high quality, electronically regulated power pack, preferably one that supplies smooth, filtered DC power. Pulse type power pack will result in erratic and unreliable operation.

It requires around 5 plus volts to power up just the decoder's internal circuitry. When power up level is reached you hear sound. The default setting before the Heisler will begin moving is 4 volts higher (thus around 9 plus volts).  This assumes no binding in the drive.

Who installed the sound module?
Click Here for the sound module instructions. Read all of it. From the instructions you can figure out how to remove the sound module.

Remove the sound module.

Try running with sound module removed,

Likely you will need to use a DCC system and reset the decoder CVs.   

Resetting the decoder CVs to their factory default value is a two-step procedure.

1)  Program CV 8 to 8 (can use either Service Mode or Operations Mode programming)
   2)  Cycle power to the decoder by turning power to the track off and back on

After about six-seconds upon restoring power the headlight and backup light will blink simultaneously 16 times indicating that the CVs were successfully reset. However, if lights come on immediately upon restoring power, the decoder did not successfully reset. Repeat the two-step procedure.

Now if you want sound,  install the sound module per the instructions immediately after resetting CVs.

Hunt

more . . .
Click Here you also need these instructions about sound module and LED jumper.

Hunt

Quote from: Hunt on September 07, 2015, 07:19:26 PM
more . . .
Click Here you also need these instructions about sound module and LED jumper.

BTW - This is part of the info in the Click Here link I provided in my first reply. You need to scroll down when in those instructions to see it.

william webb

Sorry it took so long to reply to your post about the Heisler with sound.
The sound was already installed on the locomotive when I purchased it from Bachmann, now I want to uninstall it from the loco as the new power pack that I just purchased will not run it properly, I try to slowly increase the power gradually but nearly all the times it just stalls.

I read the instructions that you sent to me but I am not sure on how to get this sound out of the locomotive tender, I was hoping it was just removing the module but I do not think that is what is required to do this.

Maybe I should just send it to Bachmann and have them do it for me, but that gets involved with customs etc when it is returned.

Thank you

William Webb

mabloodhound

William, the sound module should come out OK. 
I don't know what country you are from but maybe someone there can help you get it running.
Sure would be cheaper than sending it back.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security