News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachman 4 8 4 steamer

Started by hoddy4, September 10, 2015, 01:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoddy4

I have a Bachmann Santa Fe 4 8 4  steamer that is no longer running properly.  If I send it in for $25 for a replacement, what loco is Bachmann providing in return?

Franz T

Since the 4-8-4 is still in production, it would stand to reason that they would send one of those if your old one cannot be repaired..

ACY

Quote from: Franz T on September 10, 2015, 01:51:58 PM
Since the 4-8-4 is still in production, it would stand to reason that they would send one of those if your old one cannot be repaired..
That is not entirely accurate. If the OP's 4-8-4 is really old (this can be determined by model number or observation) then Bachmann may elect to send or give an option of several locomotives of equal value. Generally if that is the case the choices invlude locomotives like the GP40 and other 4 axle standard line diesels without DCC.

spookshow

I'd think that Bachmann would do a straight 4-8-4 for 4-8-4 swap since the current production (although improved over past versions) is still at the same "lower end" of Bachmann's locomotive strata. The same would not apply to, say, a DD40AX, since those are now DCC-equipped and older versions were not. In that instance, you'd probably get something like an SD45 or a Dash 8-40C as a replacement.

That's all just guesswork, though. Hopefully "The Bach man" will jump in and clarify.

Cheers,
-Mark

ACY

Quote from: spookshow on September 11, 2015, 12:18:12 PM
I'd think that Bachmann would do a straight 4-8-4 for 4-8-4 swap since the current production (although improved over past versions) is still at the same "lower end" of Bachmann's locomotive strata.
Mark, a friend of mine at my local club sent in Item #58060 a couple years ago and he had the warranty and the receipt and got the choice of a trolley, GP40, GP50 and a few other similar choices for the replacement locomotive.

Similarly I had a HO doodlebug and was not given the choice of a replacement doodlebug but instead the choice of any non-DCC HO standard line 4-axle diesel in production at the time or a non-DCC trolley or gandydancer.

However, if the locomotive is only a year or two old they will in all my experiences make a direct replacement if possible.

All the OP can do if he wants to know for sure is to ring Bachmann and speak to someone who can tell him what his options are for repair or replacement.