News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Curved tracks angle ratio

Started by LCJGAL, September 18, 2015, 05:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LCJGAL

Does anybody knows what is the curved tracks angle ratio? Also, is there a standard lenght of the track

Jhanecker2

What  is the curved track angle ratio ?   Are you requesting  how many tracks to create a full circle ? That is dependent on the size of the radius and also who's track type you are discussing . Check the online store  for the scale of the track and also the size of the radius .   Each scale has it's own track sizes . John 2.

James in FL

Hi LCJGAL,

In the hobby we generally refer to this geometry as the radius, and the degree of curvature.
How long they are, is dependent on how many degrees each section encompasses.

So, say for instance, (using EZ track as an example);
You have a 19r curve.
Each individual section is divided up into 15° sections.
This means to make a full circle, 360° divided by 15° is 24.
It takes 24 pieces to make a full circle.
We know the circumference of our circle is; C = 2 π r.
There's the formula..., you do the math.
Geometry 101 I think.
Read as much as you can.
Look here for math;
http://www.mathgoodies.com/lessons/vol2/circumference.html

Look here for standards;
http://www.nmra.org/beginner/track

How much room do you have to work with?
What scale?

Good luck

jbrock27

Quote from: James in FL on September 18, 2015, 10:12:22 PM
You have a 19r curve.

19R or 18R?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

Quote from: jbrock27 on September 19, 2015, 07:00:21 AM
Quote from: James in FL on September 18, 2015, 10:12:22 PM
You have a 19r curve.

19R or 18R?

Depends on whether it N or HO. OP didn't specify.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jbrock27

You're right, he did not.  Wanna bet though he is asking about HO? ;)

Should have known this is one of James' favorite topics and an area of expertise.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

in HO most sectional track is approximately 9" per full section. straights are 9", and the curves are in the closest angle that would allow an even number of sections to make a full circle, while keeping section length to around 9".

the standard angles for these curves is as follows:

15r and 18r 30 degrees.

22r and 24r 22.5 degrees.

26r and up 18 degrees.

15r, 18r and 22r sections are pretty much the same length regardless of who made them, going all the way back to the 1950s.

24r sections are only available from atlas, there is unfortunately no ez track version.

26r, 28r, 33.25r and 35.5r sections are available in ez track, but not from anybody else as far as I know.

n scale has a variety of different sections from different manufacturers, radii and lengths differ among them.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Jhanecker2

To the Forum :   Good answers all  .   The original  inquirer   left me a  message .   He wants to install  a railroad  within and around   an Ice cream Shop in Peru. He got the idea from watching a U tube video  about a ice cream Shop in Southern California that had one . I gave him my opinion .  What do the rest of you think about the idea and what  scale would you suggest for continuous operation ?   I must admit I have seen and actually been in places that have these types of installations . John 2.

jbrock27

Quote from: jward on September 19, 2015, 12:48:07 PM
15r, 18r and 22r sections are pretty much the same length regardless of who made them, going all the way back to the 1950s.

Just as a point of information, a piece of Atlas 22"R traditional sectional track is about 3/4" shorter than a piece of 18"R Atlas traditional sectional track.  I would imagine is it also 3/4" shorter than a traditional Life Like, TYCO, AHM, Play Art and Bachmann, section of 18"R track.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

I have seen installations of this sort in stores, and they are usually g scale.

on a related note, peru is home of one of the most fascinating railroads in the world, the central andino. this railroad looks like it was built by john allen, with high bridges, tunnels, and multiple levels of track on the same mountainside.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Jhanecker2

To Jbrock27 :  The gentleman was trying to determine what scale to use  and what type of train to run on it . The u tube video  appeared to show what looked like a Thomas tank engine running on HO scale EZ track .   I told him that if he was going to operate the train continuously that  "O " scale would  be more visible and probably more reliably rugged . I also mentioned that Southern California  and  Peru  were both on the Pacific Ring of Fire  and subject to earthquakes and that  would have to be addressed  in  the engineering  & construction of  project . I said it might  be doable  but it  would  not  be easy or inexpensive . He would also have to consider how to maintain  his equipment  in that type of atmosphere .

I checked to see what type of railroads operate in Peru on the web ,   I  remember there was a train from Cuzco to  Machu  Pichu  and also a train to Lake Titcaca but don't remember  if those are on the same line . I found there are a few short lines and they appear to have diesels .   Yes  Jward the central andino is mentioned  as pretty spectacular because of the terrain that has to be overcome . John 2.