News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

aristo ballbearing wheelsets

Started by wilson, November 11, 2007, 10:32:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wilson

Just wondering if aristocraft ballbearing wheelsets with the electrical pickups will fit my JS Bachmann rolling stock.  Hard to find anything LGB of lately. 

Loco Bill Canelos

Sorry to report that the Aristo ball bearing sets seem to have axles that are to short for most Bachmann trucks. 

I bought two pair (not cheap) to use on an Annie tender to power the sound system.  It just didn't work out.  I thought about putting small plugs in the ends of the truck bearings, but never tried it.   I ended up using the LGB spring loaded wipers with the original wheels,  while I am sure I have more drag, the 4-6-0 and sound system have performed very well pulling five J&S passenger cars up my steep grades. 

Since I Have no Aristo equipment The aristo wheels will go on Ebay one of these days. Hope this helps. 
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

jsmvmd

Dear Bill & Wil,

I think the San-Val wheels will fit the Bachmann stuff.  You could check out their website.

http://www.san-val.com/

A quick check of their site listed the Bachmann K-27, Side Tank Porter & the 38 Ton 3-Truck Shay.  Yum  Yum!!

George Schreyer, I believe listed several wheels he used, of which San-Val was one.

http://www.girr.org/girr/tips/tips3/wheel_tips.html

A thought, have you tried the Bachmann replacement wheels?

Best Wishes,

Jack

Loco Bill Canelos

Jack,

I see that George lists the Aristo wheels as suitable, but maybe he didn't use the ball bearing sets.  Beats me except the Aristo BB wheels kept sliding out of the ends of the truck bearings when I tried it.   

If I try it again, I may give those SanVal wheels a try.  Thanks

Jim Banner

A suggestion that might work, assuming both wheels are free to turn on the axle:  Centre the axle with a wad of thick epoxy at each end - JB Weld comes to mind, and it is black to match the trucks.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Jon D. Miller

I measured axle length of the Aristo ball bearing electrical pickup wheels and axle length of SanVal ball bearing wheels.

Aristo ball bearing with electircal pickup have axle length of 2.570 inches.

San Val ball bearing with NO electrical pickup have axle length of 2.785.

No wonder the Aristo axle sets would not stay in place in Bachmann trucks.

Plus, the San Val ball bearing won't solve the electrical pickup issue since they have no electrical pickup tabs.

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

Loco Bill Canelos

Thanks JD,

I'll Stick with what I have!!!

Old John

I have used bearings from a company that advertised in the old Finescale Railroader (circa 2004-05). I put them in 27 of my Accucraft cars, 31 of my Bachmann and a few USA and Aristocraft. No electrical problems with using them. I just disassembled one side of the trucks, bored out a 1/4 inch hole inside the journal box, inserted the bearing, inseted the axel and wheels and that was it.  The cost for the bearings was very cheap. I don't remeber the company name, but it consisted of initials, I think starting with H.

altterrain

I use nothing but SanVal wheels on my cars. They work well on just about everything (Aristo, USA, Delton, LGB, Hartland, Bachmann) without modification. I got mine on eBay (seller ana.kramer). I have only used the solid axle ones (black or silver) which usually go for about $45/20 axles. They also have a ball bearing version which are more pricey of course.

-Brian
President of

jsmvmd

Dear Brian & John,

Thank you for the very good tips.  Will "youse" them to good advantage!

Best Wishes,

Jack

wilson

I just received enough ball bearing wheelsets to do 7 cars, this is what I found out about Sanval wheels.  The axles are long enough for all my js cars and gondola.  I was planning on using regular ball bearing wheels on the js cars with two axles being aristo with elect. pickups until someone posted the axle size as being a bit short.  Then I thought I'll just use the LGB with the pickups.  Beware that Sanval bb wheels are not the same size as bachmann stock wheels or LGB wheels with elect pic/ups.  Sanval wheels are a bit smaller.  Sanval bb wheels also do not turn as easy as LGB, causing the whole axle to turn in the trucks instead of the wheels.  The sealed ballbearings are a tiny bit stiff.  I know they rotate on the corners, but on the straights the axle will turn sometimes.  All of this does not bother me that much, but the size difference leaves me with no way to use bb wheels to power my js cars, the size difference is enough to make the trucks crooked.  If you turned the LGB wheels they would continue to rotate forever it seemed, the Sanval wheels will turn just a few times.  Maybe that changes after years of use, We'll find out I guess.  I bought the blackened wheels and like the way they look,  I take a silver permanent marker to the wheel flanges, it looks great.