News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

How to boost power to a DCC layout?

Started by rogerlewis, October 05, 2015, 06:49:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogerlewis

Thanks everyone. Am in the process of correctly re-wiring the layout.

My layout is 14' X 10' and has 400 feet of track on three interconnected levels. It is powered by the Bachmann EZ Command with the Bachmann 5 amp booster. Eight locomotives are Bachmann DCC units with an additional Bachmann DC unit. I find that I experience very slow speeds even at max throttle. I typically run three to eight trains simultaneously but experience the slow speeds even if only running one locomotive. I assume the problem is related to the power level supplied to the track. What can I do to increase power to the track. All track is powered from one connection point. Also, a train can make ten circuits and stop running on the eleventh at random points. I have eliminated all dead sections of track so this problem is not related to dead track.
Thanks for any help.

bapguy

You need more power feeders to the track. A misconception about DCC : "all you need is 2 wires". I have feeders every 4 feet  or so.  amps is enough for what you have.   Joe

rogertra

Quote from: bapguy on October 05, 2015, 09:04:16 AM
You need more power feeders to the track. A misconception about DCC : "all you need is 2 wires". I have feeders every 4 feet  or so.  amps is enough for what you have.   Joe

Excellent advice.

If you soldier flex track as I do, into six foot sections, then you just need two wires to each section of track.  In fact, you really need  two wires to every section of track.  I have sections of unsoldered track that are less than six inches long and they have two wires going to them.

Continuity must be a pain for set track users.

Cheers,

Roger T.

jbrock27

Quote from: rogertra on October 05, 2015, 01:54:24 PM
Continuity must be a pain for set track users.

Cheers,

Roger T.

Or, not at all, if you know what you are doing.
Keep Calm and Carry On

rogerlewis

Will research continuity since I have no idea what that is. Have tried to add power lines at other points but all I get is a short.
Not much fun if you have no idea what you are doing. My expertise is fpv rc flight; just starting in model railroading.

RAM

The two mistakes that are easy to make.  To make it simple, lets use + and -.  Make sure you do not mix them.  The other is turnout are wirded at the point end.  If you add feeders to the trailing end of a turn out you MUST gap the rails.

rogertra

Quote from: rogerlewis on October 05, 2015, 04:39:17 PM
Will research continuity since I have no idea what that is. Have tried to add power lines at other points but all I get is a short.
Not much fun if you have no idea what you are doing. My expertise is fpv rc flight; just starting in model railroading.

Colour code ALL your wiring.

Pick a colour for the "north" rail and another colour for the "south" rail and do NOT confuse them.  That's why you get shorts.

And if you have no idea what you are doing, buy a book on wiring a DCC model railroad and read it, before your start any wiring.

Cheers

Roger T.

jbrock27

Quote from: rogerlewis on October 05, 2015, 04:39:17 PM
Will research continuity since I have no idea what that is.

Uninterrupted flow of electricity, in this case.  Bery Bery important to model trains
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

You're welcome.  Best of luck and have fun! :)
Keep Calm and Carry On

bapguy

Do you have a loop in your track plan? As you face the layout, track A is closest to you. On the back side of the loop rail A is away from you. This is where some people run into problems wiring the track correctly.  They wire the back rails the same as the front rails. This will cause a short as the back rails are opposite polarities. The easy way is to get a box car and put one color of tape on one side and a different color on the other side. Rail A is one color and rail B the other. Move the car down the track as you wire. This way you'll wire the track correctly on loops.   Joe

rogerlewis

Thanks. Am rewiring the layout maintaining continuity.

jbrock27

I think there is some confusion about the word continuity being interchanged for that other C word, consistency.  The other gentlemen involved here are properly giving advice on how to be consistent with the wiring and specfiically, polarity of the power that those wires are delivering.  Heed the advice rogerlewis and you won't go wrong.  I particularly like the box car and tape idea, a really good one!
Keep Calm and Carry On

Desertdweller

I do not use DCC, but your problem also applies to DC.  Positive and negative mix-ups refer to consistency:  keeping positive and negative on opposite rails, except in situations like reverse loops and wyes and turntables, where an electrically isolated section of track can have its polarity temporarily switched.

Continuity refers to maintaining electrical connection between rail sections on the same side of the track.

There is a third variable that applies to both DCC and DC.  It is voltage drop.  As wires conduct electricity better than rails, it is a good idea to use wires for transmitting electricity as much as possible.  On DC layouts, this is accomplished by running feeder wires to each controlled section from the power distribution panel every three or four feet.  A return circuit can be made by using a buss wire that follows the track around underneath the layout, with jumper wires to the non-controlled rail every three or four feet.  I think with DCC a similar wiring plan can be made using two buss-jumper wire arrangement, one for each rail.

Since I do not use DCC, someone else should probably advise you about wiring schemes.  I do remember when DCC was first introduced, it was greatly oversold with claims that you could wire your entire layout with two wires.  This is a terrible idea, and anyone taking this idea too seriously is apt to be severely disappointed.

Les

rogerlewis

Many thanks! Am in the process of completely rewiring the layout.