News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Denver & Rio Grande system map from 1903

Started by wilson, November 11, 2007, 11:02:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wilson

I have a paperback book that I purchased last spring when I took the Durango & Silverton run.  The book entitled Americas Railroad - The official Guidebook,  by Robert T. Royem.  In the book appears a Den. and Rio Grande system map with the logo promoting the "Scenic Line of the World", it shows standard gauge lines highlighted in red, and narrow gage lines marked in black.  At the bottom right of the map is the makers name of - Knight, Leonard & Co., Engr's Chicago.  What a cool map, I love the steam era, and especially the colorado narrow gage legacy of the Den Rio Grande, and Rio Grande Southern.  Do these maps still exist, perhaps a remake?  Love to frame it and display one of these in the old train room.  I am currently runnning a Bachmann D&RGW BumbleBee annie, and a RGS annie on a 100' shelf system.

Charlie Mutschler

Haven't seen this one available as a facsimile, but you might look around and see what can be obtained from museums or archives.  I think the Library of Congress did an album of historic railroad maps at one time, which was available from the Government Printing Office (GPO). 
Happy researching. 

Charlie Mutschler
-30-

David

I would check with the Colorado Railroad Museum in Golden, Co. They have a website, www.crrm.org, I believe. If anyone has a reproduction of the map, they would.
Regards,
David Silverton
Vernon Hills, IL
K8UOP

Matthew (OV)

Also see www.ghostdepot.com .... they have a CD of all things DRGW ...

For maps, take particular note of:

http://www.ghostdepot.com/rg/maps/maps.htm

Matthew (OV)