Converting Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis #152 Standard DC to DCC

Started by TexasRailroader, September 22, 2015, 05:59:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasRailroader

What decoder should be used to convert the Standard DC, Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis #152 to DCC with sound?

ACY

Quote from: TexasRailroader on September 22, 2015, 05:59:16 PM
What decoder should be used to convert the Standard DC, Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis #152 to DCC with sound?
This particular locomotive is not suited for DCC unless you wire the tender for pick up first. Additionally there is not sufficient space for sound inside the locomotive unless you utilize the tender at which poibt your tender would have to be permanently attached because of the wires running between them.
My suggestion for your best course of action if you are seeking a locomotive of this type with DCC and sound is to purchase the new Bachmann Mogul (2-6-0) that comes with factory installed DCC and sound at a very readonable price (I got one for a little over $100).
By the time you factor in the cost of a sounder decoder, the speaker, additional parts required and the time it takes to complete the installation (including wiring the tender for pick up etc) then it would likely exceed the cost of just buying the new Bachmann Mogul with sound.

Hunt

Bachmann partners with SoundTraxx

You have two choices from SoundTraxx for your Bachmann USRA 0-6-0 Switcher and Vanderbuilt Tender

TSU-1000 Light Steam Part# 826101, speaker #810053
ECO-100   Steam         Part# 881001, speaker #810053

Visit SoundTraxx website for detail information about each decoder.

This is not a simple installation as ACY touched on.

Hunt

more ...Just checked and your N.C. & St. L. #152 - USRA 0-6-0  has the Short Haul Tender not the Vandy.
The decoder info is however the same.

Hunt

Typo
Bachmann USRA 0-6-0 Switcher and Vanderbuilt Vanderbilt Tender

richardl

I have done a Vandy tender for this loco with a SoundTraxx Micro plus a 14mm x 25mm oval speaker. Drilled small hells in the bottom of the tender like I saw in a diagram of a Bachmann Vandy with sound.
You could use a 28mm round speaker. I have for some other Bachmann HO steamers.

The Eco-100 would be the way to go. Slightly smaller than the Micro.
Then, added machined metal wheels and made pickups for all the wheels plus six wires between the loco and tender.
I had to glue in a lot of bird shot for weight.
Your tender might be a little easier, for various values of easy. More room inside.

Rich