Discussion #3: Bring the Bachmann Thomas & Friends HO/OO Gauge Range to the UK!

Started by Jacob Wilson, October 31, 2015, 12:32:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob Wilson

Wouldn't it be nice for the for the United Kingdom Collector's, like myself, of the Bachmann Thomas & Friends HO/OO Gauge Range to be able to pop into their local Model Shop and be able to buy Bachmann Thomas & Friends HO/OO Range  products on the shelves? I have always wanted to do this as UK buyers only are limited to this website: www.thedieselworks.co.uk/, called The Diesel Works to get the same products at UK postage cost, otherwise you could pay up to £30.00 on such sites as eBay, for only one product! Far too expensive really!

Please post a Reply, below of what you think of this and maybe Bachmann might be able to get a license to sell the Bachmann Thomas & Friends HO/OO Range in the United Kingdom. Who knows what could happen.

Thank you for reading.

Chaz

As of now, Hornby currently owns the license to produce Thomas and friends models to the UK.  Bachmann do not own the rights, therefore they cannot sell the models in the UK.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

Jacob Wilson

^ Above 1 Reply - @Reply #1 By Chaz: I know that Hornby own the license of the Thomas & Frends range in the UK, but it does make me wonder if Hornby and Bachmann can both have a license in the UK.

Chaz

No that isn't how these licenses work.  Hornby has a firm grasp of the rights to produce the HO/OO Thomas models in the UK while Bachmann has the rights to sell in the rights to sell to the US. 

The large scale range on the other hand does sell to both the US and UK and this is because no one had the rights to produce G scale Thomas models over in the UK which is why the large scale range is in the UK while the HO range isn't.  Lionel used to own the rights to produce G scale for Thomas, but Bachmann bought those rights an later produced G scale models of their own.  Meanwhile, Hornby has already been producing Thomas models in the UK and are not willing to not lose these rights for the time being, despite producing models once every 2-3 years for their range.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

Jacob Wilson

^ Above 1 Reply - @Reply #3 By Chaz: OK, I understand now.

For some strange reason though, Hornby did discontinue the Thomas & Friends range in 2014, but it has been announced a Re-Release this year. It didn't help that a lot of the range was discontinued back in 2011. I think what will keep Hornby's sales going with there Thomas & Friends range is that need to keep releasing new products ever year, like Bachmann are doing.

By the way, I am very sorry about ruling those older Disscissions earlier. This is my first time on a Forum. I do not mean to be a nocense or a pain. I know for next time abd the future to leave the older Disscissions alone, and concentrate on the latest ones posted by fellow Users. I promise you I will not do this again. I do not want to make you or anybody angry and annoyed with me on this site. I am very sorry.