News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC & Cutting capictors

Started by VTBob, November 11, 2007, 03:38:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Banner

Quote from: Zytx on November 11, 2007, 10:37:20 PM
I found a website the is installing a sound decoder into a 2-6-6-2. However, without any words they post a photo with 2 red arrows pointing towards the capacitors C1 & C2. Am I to assume that these need to be cut out?

http://members.shaw.ca/sask.rail/dcc/b-mann2-6-6-2/b-mann2-6-6-2.html

Thanks, & sorry to be a bother :P
Bob

Sorry, Bob, but I just stated reading this thread.  The photos are mine and yes, you do cut both capacitors.  The decoder being installed is not a sound decoder, but these capacitors have nothing to do with sound, only with motor operation.  So you can cut them out no matter what kind of decoder you are installing.  I really must get busy and finish writing the words to go with those photos!

Some decoders support CV9 which allows you to lengthen the pulses sent to the motor.  If you gradually increase CV9, you can often reach a pulse length which is immune to the effects of the capacitors.  However, your decoder may no longer be silent.  This is the approach used in Bachmann decoders to make them compatible with the capacitors and is the reason why they are sometimes (often?) noisy.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

SteamGene

Speaking of things like that, has anybody installed a non-Bachmann decoder into their USRA light 2-10-2?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

r.cprmier

I have found that bypassing the adaptor setup completely is working out well.  I have more room, and less hassle.  There is no protective circuitry, etc, I would need for NCE or Tsunami decoders, so out with the adapters and those blocks!!  NOW...I have room for another speaker!!

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

VTBob

steamgene says : All.

including the one not pointing with an arrow?

Bob
R. Montanye
Montanye Models, St. Albans, Vermont

SteamGene

Cut all capacitors.
As Duncan says in MCBETH "All my little ones?  All did you say?"
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Jim Banner

I agree with Gene - if in doubt, chop them out.  At this point in time, I do not remember what the third capacitor is for.  It might have been to keep the headlight from flickering, which is often just fine to leave in place, even with DCC.  But it won't hurt if you cut it out either.   If you look carefully at the photo to the left of the one showing the capacitors, you will see that I did the same as Rich - I chopped out the whole board, capacitors, resistors, chokes, diodes, socket and all.

r.cprmier

Yeah, I find that the simpler you go in this stuff, the better.  To me, keeping that board in-circuit is only asking for trouble, as the more stuff, the more that can go wrong.  I am no expert on decoders by any means, but  I cannot see why that board will do you any good with a fully self-supported rig like Tsunami.

My first conversion was in the tender of a 2-6-6-2, and I swore mightily; I also mightily swore I WOULD NEVER DO THAT AGAIN!  On the older proto, Atlas, etc dismals, I strip out everything, and just do a complete install as though no board ever existed.  I am a happy man!!

RIch
Rich

Jim Banner

Rich, you have to have faith.  DCC is perfect.  Nothing can ever go wrong go wrong go wrong go wrong go wrong go wrong go wrong go wrong go wrong go wrong ...

VTBob

the climax runs better now altho it's still a little cranky. I'll take a video of it for my website.

The 2-6-6-2 needs alot of work tho. I get the sound, but zero motion. Will have to study the accel/decel rates & mess with the voltage stuff. But at least she now sounds like a somewaht real loco :)

I'll have links posted soon.

I wish the plug n' pray soundtraxx decoders for the 3 truck shay were still made, cause they worked flawlessly :)

http://download.lavadomefive.com/members/RDFlambouyant/model/model.html

there's the video site I have set up. I'll update it tomorrow evening with the new videos :)

Thanks y'all,
Bob
R. Montanye
Montanye Models, St. Albans, Vermont

r.cprmier

Gene;
I have installed tsunami decoders and did NOT use that abortively useless device for plugging in the bypass.  Everything went-the original gut job!!  Do they work?  What y'all think??  (Note that deferrence to the South...)
Rich

2-10-2:  The Ugly Sisters.  (Got the name from the Scharnhorst and the Gneissenau)

Decoder ref. numbers, #5827, and 5828

They respond greatly.  I'se happy. (more Southern stuff...)

Rich
Rich