News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

More Boxcar Projects

Started by jonathan, October 04, 2015, 06:14:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

I've been experimenting with f-stops (aperture) with my relatively new DSLR.  I have a special lens for close ups.  Havent quite perfected the technique, yet.  Here are some extreme close ups of the subject cars in this thread:

Regards,

Jonathan

Woody Elmore

Jon - are all the cars the same basic red? Will you weather any of tem?

Super work!

jonathan

I'm going thru my boxcar red phase. 😀 Started with Floquil, then moved on to Scalecoat II. I have enough paint left to build three more cars. I may turn to reefers next, as they are colorful. I have more than enough hoppers and gondolas.

Yes, my intention is to get some powders and start learning to weather with some RTR cars. Don't want to ruin all my resin cars. Hopefully, I'll find a style I like and weather ALL my rolling stock.

Thanks!

Regards,

Jonathan

rogertra

Quote from: jonathan on October 18, 2015, 05:18:38 PM
I'm going thru my boxcar red phase. 😀 Started with Floquil, then moved on to Scalecoat II. I have enough paint left to build three more cars. I may turn to reefers next, as they are colorful. I have more than enough hoppers and gondolas.

Yes, my intention is to get some powders and start learning to weather with some RTR cars. Don't want to ruin all my resin cars. Hopefully, I'll find a style I like and weather ALL my rolling stock.

Thanks!

Regards,

Jonathan

I just use automotive red oxide primer for my boxcars, any brand will do and, in fact, I have several brands I keep a can of.  :)

Once weathered, I challenge anyone to tell me my boxcar red boxcars are painted the wrong colour.  :) 

Cheers

Roger T.

electrical whiz kid

Not me, Roger; not me, eh?

Rich C.

Billm10454

Take a look at the Pan Pastels at this site http://www.fiferhobby.com/html/weathering_powders_and_supplie.html. I have used them and they are really good for weathering.

Woody Elmore

Roger - the term box car red is like saying "a big dog." Once I saw a Southern boxcar that was a pinkish color due to the weather and I remember seeing CN cars that were more brown than red.

My concern with spray cans is the paint attacking the plastic. I can recall old old Floquil xylene based paints that would destroy plastic.

Len

That's why I transitioned to only acrylic paints a few years back.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jbrock27

Quote from: Woody Elmore on October 27, 2015, 09:58:19 AM
My concern with spray cans is the paint attacking the plastic. 

Quote from: Len on October 27, 2015, 12:05:58 PM
That's why I transitioned to only acrylic paints a few years back.

Len

Many quality spray paints, such as Krylon and Rustoleum, will specifically state and are safe, for plastics.  Have used them on plastic loco shells for example; no issues. ;)
Keep Calm and Carry On

jonathan

I appreciate the compliment. Will have to do some research.  I'm still not sold on an airbrush system, though I do see the quality increase in paint jobs using air.

So... I didn't find any 50 LPI chain at the train show last week.  I went ahead with my original project using the 40 LPI.  Admittedly it looks a bit oversized.  However, with everything being so tiny anyway, the boost in detail was worth it:

I cut a clevis and drilled a hole in the end to attach to some wire.  Gives a more realistic impression of the bell crank chain attaching to a rod... I think anyway.

Regards,

Jonathan

jbrock27

Great stuff and detail, as usual of course.  I can only begin to imagine the time you must put into these projects.

What'd you ever do to beef up your bench-work, to keep it from derailing trains when bumped into?
Keep Calm and Carry On

jonathan

Thanks! And no, I never did add additional anchors to the layout. So I've been lucky. Bumping hasn't become a problem.

Regards,

Jonathan

jbrock27

You're welcome.
That's good.
Keep Calm and Carry On

electrical whiz kid

Woody, Len Brock, et al;
Floquil had a product called "Barrier". which worked as sort of an "invisible protective shield..." for polystyrene V. Organic lacquer.  I have used this and other like products when using Floquil-and still have some of the Floquil line hoarded away. 
Jim; I have not used finish can colours; but have sprayed primer-CAREFULLY-on rolling stock.  One doesn't really have to be all that fastidious with this; just lightly spray, let it sit for about a week and then give 'er hell. 
My one gripe with cans is that you have little control over what happens-and I have had one or two nasties-blobs attacking my model... so that I normally stick to my Paasche brushes.

Rich C.

jbrock27

I like using spray paint.  Works well for me and what I am doing.
Keep Calm and Carry On