I'm a model railroader and a military veteran

Started by Dr EMD, November 11, 2007, 05:19:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr EMD

Hi
I got my draft notice right after high school in 1972, but knowing how the US Air Force only allows college grads into combat I enlisted. Twenty one years later I retired as an E-7 from aircraft maintenance and a masters degree in business.
My tours included weekends at Cajon Pass, Tower 55, watching coupling of buffer hook and link trains, and listening to SDP-28 as it is pulling Japanese designed coaches. When I was on Okinawa, I was a member of the Okinawa Model Railroad club at Camp Kue.

To the other brothers/sister in arms, thanks for doing your share of defending our nation.

Dr EMD
Electro-Motive Historical Research
(Never employed by EMD at any time)

SteamGene

I received a reserve commission in the artillery in 1965 and went on active duty in 1966.  I spent a year in Korea along or in the DMZ and went on to spend a total of 27 years in the service, retiring as a lieutenant colonel, field artillery - which explains my most common expression: "Eh?" 
My thanks to my father, paratrooper, field artillery, helicopter ambulance pilot, and my father in law, Bendix turret repairman, 8th U.S. Air Force, England, and my uncle, B-26 pilot instructor.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

HoboHarley

I think that is a nice thought. I had trains before and after my military time. I came back from WWII as a Tech Sgt summer of '46 with a bunch of Maerklin OO for my kid bro and a beautiful set of The Orient Express in Super O. I was commisioned in '50 just in time for Korea but was stuck states side as an instructor. Sadly a large number of my brothers never came back from Korea. Some who did made it to Nam. I was out by then. I enjoy large scale in the garden. Wonderful people with most having served our country.

Paul W.

My thanks to each and everyone who has served!
Happy Steamin'

Paul

r.cprmier

To all of my brother and sister veterans, I say "Happy Veterans' Day"!

United States Air Force, 1963-1968. 
Chanute tech grad.  (64)
461st Bomb Wing (SAC)
6486st FMS(MATS)
305th Bomb Wing (SAC)
Several significant TDY assignments
Discharge rank:  Ssgt.

My personal feeling has always been that every fit and able bodied young American male owes his country a moral obligation:   Military time.
I have never heard a veteran say he/she wasn't proud to have served.
God Bless the United Stated of America and her vets.

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

scottychaos

My Dad is a model railroader and a veteran.
He served in the Navy 1959-1962.
aboard the ship USS Fort Mandan, LSD-21.

thanks Dad!  ;D

Scot

epeorus

I spent my time flying off the USS Ranger (CVA-61) during Linebacker 1 and Linebacker 2 in Vietnam (1972).  Even had a couple fellow model railroaders on board.  When we weren't sleeping, flying, or screaming, we had a bit of a round-robin club going.

Jim

The Jemez & Rio Grande, an On30 branch of the Chili Lines.

Terry Toenges

Feel like a Mogul.

Atlantic Central

My Thanks to all of you and to all our Veteran's.

Sheldon

Stephen D. Richards

To all;  Although I have only been a MRR for a little under two years, I have served for over 26 years and plan to continue.  I am currently in Special Operations and have been in five combat actions so far.  Even so, it is my distinct Honor and Privilege to serve for and with my fellow veterans!  God Bless all who have served and currently serve to keep us free! 
SMSgt Stephen D. Richards, Special Operation Command Central, JSF/NCOIC-Forward

Tyke

Served 34 years in the Navy:
Aircraft carriers
Destroyers
Submarines
Staff duty in Pearl Harbor
CO, Naval Oceans System Center, San Diego

Retired. retired, retired...started MR just last year.

Tyke

Kevin Strong

Never served, myself, but growing up in the shadow of Andrews AFB, I developed a healthy respect for those who do. My profound thanks to all of you, past and present. While I may not always agree with the politics that put you in harm's way, that doesn't remotely diminish my respect for you and your brothers and sisters who go there. Politicians come and go. Courage is forever.

Later,

K

David

I served in the USAF 1961-1966.
Airborn Electronic Countermeasures repairman (30153B).
School at Keesler AFB, Biloxi, Mississippi
Lockbourne AFB, Columbus, Ohio SAC
Wurtsmith AFB, Oscoda, Michigan SAC
Regards,
David Silverton
Vernon Hills, IL
K8UOP

RAM

I served on the USS LakeChampain (CVA 39)  We had a ho layout.