Changing the Dcc address on a Spectrum engine

Started by tcanson, October 06, 2015, 06:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Len

Minor point for folks using the EZ-Command system, the manual specifically says to remove ALL other locos from the track when using POM to set a loco to an address higher than 10. It also says "user installed decoders" should be programed on a seperate track using the low current programmng outputs.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

rogertra

Quote from: Hunt on October 16, 2015, 03:33:43 PM
Quote from: rogertra on October 16, 2015, 02:42:37 PM
. . .
So that's all I need to know about when it comes to DCC.

When it come to the manual, I just read what I need to know.  So far, so good.  :) 

. . .

Roger, I believe you realize it is so far, not so good when incorrect DCC information is provided.  ;) 

Yes but it also seems to depend on what manufacture's product you are using.  As stated in Len's post regarding EZ-Command.

And because of that, I'd still rather be safe than sorry and will continue to program all my locos on a separate programming track at my workbench. 

Cheers

Roger T.

Hunt

Quote from: Len on October 16, 2015, 05:01:40 PM
Minor point for folks using the EZ-Command system, the manual specifically says to remove ALL other locos from the track when using POM to set a loco to an address higher than 10. It also says "user installed decoders" should be programed on a seperate track using the low current programmng outputs.

Len

The Bachmann E-Z Command Control Center does not allow the user to program a loco decoder to an address higher than 10 and address 10 can be used only in a specific configuration.

Also, the E-Z Command Control Center does not allow the user to select the programming mode to be used or to program by CV number. It uses a programming mode  and procedure that changes certain CVs of all decoders on track when programming from an address higher than 10 to a valid address for the E-Z Command Control Center method is followed.

Len

Hunt - You're right, I misread what it said. It's talking about changing the address on a loco that was already set to a value higher than 10 to one the EZ-Command recognizes. But the point remains, there are times when programming directly on the layout is not a good idea:

QuoteREPROGRAMMING DECODERS WITH PREVIOUSLY ASSIGNED DIGITAL ADDRESSES

You can use the E-Z Command system to control locomotives that have a previously assigned digital address other than number 3.

If the previously assigned address is a number less than 10, follow the directions we've just described to assign a new address to a locomotive decoder. Just substitute the locomotive's original digital address number for the number 3 in the standard programming procedure.

However, if  the locomotive's digital address is a number higher than 10, you can reprogram it by following this procedure:
First, remove all locomotives from the layout. Next, follow the standard E-Z Command programming procedures as described in the "Programming a Locomotive to a Specific Address" section (but without any locomotive on the track), including pushing and holding down the number 3 button and the "Stop" button. At this point, you're ready to assign a new digital address to the locomotive. Simply place the subject locomotive on the track and assign a new address by pressing a numbered E-Z Command button (1 to 9). The locomotive will move slightly to signal that you have successfully assigned a new, lower address. Finally, push the "Stop" button to exit the programming mode and begin operating your locomotive at its new digital address.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Hunt

Quote from: Len on October 17, 2015, 08:04:12 AM
Hunt - You're right, I misread what it said. It's talking about changing the address on a loco that was already set to a value higher than 10 to one the EZ-Command recognizes. But the point remains, there are times when programming directly on the layout is not a good idea:
. . .

Len

The times when programming directly on the layout is not a good idea is anytime one of the programming modes is being used that will change all decoders connected to the track (unless you remove all locomotives but the one to be programmed).

The key point - To program on the mainline tracks of the layout you have to be using a DCC system that supports Programming on the Main programming mode. Thus, you need to have a correct understanding of how the DCC system and decoder you are using operates, which includes it capabilities and limitations.