Air Compressors and Pneumatic Drills

Started by ASIANLIFE, November 11, 2007, 08:35:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ASIANLIFE

Does anyone know where I might find information, and preferably pictures about the Mobile Air Compressors, and associated Pneumatic Drills used in the quarrying and mining industry up until around 1950 ?

Having limited access to resources it would be better if it was available on the internet. So far I have been on Wikipedia etc, and found one picture of each.

Thanks

Paul

Ken

Paul

Phoenix Models (England) make a kit for a portable compressor (1/43rd)
circa 1930-40s.
   I have a few photos of portable compressor's used for both coal &
hard rock mining, will see if I can find them. Various books I have also show drill's used in mining.

Check used mining equipment dealer's usually have pages & photos of
what they are trying to sell. "Savanna"  or "Nelson" are dealers, I take
a look at now and then for idea's. Their yard is about 500 miles West of
where I live, some new & a lot of old stuff to look at when I do drive by.

Ken
     GWN

jsmvmd

Dear Friend,

There is a museum in New England that showcases unusual American tools, etc from the 18th & 19th centuries. Perhaps someone here, like Rich C. or other folks who live in NE might be able to help. Otherwise a web search might find it for you.  Then you could contact them for the info you want.

Too, The Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, MI is the only museum that makes the transition from the agricultural to industrial ages in America. A unique resource, to be sure.

A quick search mentioned Eric Sloane, an American artist who catalogued early American tools, covered barns, etc.

What about contacting the Smithsonian? Surely they should have some direction for you.

Too, you might contact a western mining town, such as Teluride, CO or the Mother Lode, etc to see if they have pix of what you want.  Ogden, UT has the John Browning museum, with a wealth of western stuff. Perhaps they or someone like them could help you out.

Good hunting, and please let me know what you find!

Best Wishes,

Jack

r.cprmier

Jack;
The museum-if I am talking about the same one you are-is in Kent, CT.   I will look it up and get you the site/info.

RIch
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

r.cprmier

Jack;
The museum-if I am talking about the same one you are-is in Kent, CT.   I will look it up and get you the site/info.

IT is the Sloan-Stanley museum in kent, ct.

web site:  sloan-stanley.museum@ct.gov
This facility has a lot of implements, both manual and mechanical.  I haven't to date, visited it, but intend to. 
As an interesting side-note, the Hoosic Tunnel, between Charlemont and North Adams, Mass, roughly paralleling rte 2, is an interesting historical entity in itself:  Started around 1845, the tunnel construction spanned a time until the Civil War interrupted operation.  Until this time, the "digging" was done with start drills and black powder.  It was a dangerous undertaking, and a lot of people lost both life and limb.

During the Civil War, developments both in effective explosives and blasting technique; as well as fluid power (hydraulics and compressed air) were made and proven a viable means of eliminating a lot of labour and increasing man-hour efficiency.
The tunnel construction was resumed in 1866, employing these new methods; and it was here that pneumatic drills and hydraulics were first successfully used in this type of construction.

If you ever have the opportunity to take a looksee at this tunnel and the events leading through its operation, I think you will be bery happy you did.

Sloan-Stanley, last I heard, had some pretty good examples of tools and machinery used there.  I urge you to explore the site.

Rich
Rich

jsmvmd

Dear Rich,

Thanks, much for the information!  If and when I get to Kent I will look you up and the beer is on me (at least the 10th one, that is!!!).

Best Wishes,

Jack

ASIANLIFE

Dear all

thank you indeed for information to-date, and anything further that may arrive.

Not being based in USA is a limiting factor, although I am travelling back to UK for Christmas with the family so will look up Phoenix Models. My father worked in a coal mine during the 1940's, so I have an on-line resource there as well.

FYI, I am modelling a quarry in 1/36, and some may have seen my previous post looking for information on railway [railroad] wagons used for transporting explosives.

Thanks again

Paul

Larry Green

Paul, try the website of the Barre Granite Association and go to the "suppliers" page. There, you will find the email addresses of numerous quarry tool vendors. Perhaps they could supply info of use to you.

Larry

r.cprmier

Larry;
That is a great thought.  Is that little railroad, the Barre Railroad (I think that is what it was called) still around?

There was an excellent show on the Hitl-Whoops!!!History Channel about what it takes to quarry marble an granite, and those mines in Barre were shown.  Harvesting stone is quite an undertaking.

Rich
Rich

rogertra

For granite hauling railroads in New England I suggest you research the following: -

Montpelier & Wells River Railroad

And

Barre & Chelsea RR

r.cprmier

That's what it was:  The Barre and Chelsea!

Thanks, Roger

Rich
Rich

Larry Green

Rich,

That trackage is now operated as the Washington County RR, a division of the Vermont Rail System. Some  quarrying is still going on, but I don't believe rail is part of the process anymore.

Two good books on this are: "Vermont's Granite Railroads" by Jones/Maxfield/Gove and "Vermont Rail System" by Jones.

Larry