News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Is it just me or ...?

Started by epeorus, November 06, 2007, 11:34:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

epeorus

I am just curious about the feelings of the members of the group as to the "value" of some of our publications.  I can recall a time when I couldn't wait for the next issue Model Railroader, but over the past few years, I have found very little of value.  Indeed, I have found that I can spend days and days with each issue Railroad Model Craftsman and Narrow Gauge and Shorline Gazette but not crack the cover of MR.  Too bad Mainline Modeler is gone.  Never did appreciate Railmodel Journal and some of the others.  Has the publication evolved or have I?  After 30+ years in HO and On30, have I finally moved from beginner to intermediate or advanced?  Is that why some magazines just don't satisfy?  What publications do the others think are providing the best modeling information?  This whole discussion may have already been beaten to death, but any insights would be interesting.

Jim
The Jemez & Rio Grande, an On30 branch of the Chili Lines.

Bill Baker

Jim,

There are some issues that are more interesting to me than others, but in general I really enjoy receiving MR and have for years.  I'm at the stage on my layout where I am getting into super detailing and I always get some good ideas from MR.  Sure, the magazine has changed over the years and so have my specific interests in model railroading.  I've long since passed the track planning stage and analog wiring and now look primarily at DCC wiring and the pictures of the months.  I still enjoy it and look forward to it every month.

I agree with you about Main Modler....I miss it too. 

Bill
Bill

Atlantic Central

Well,

As a subscriber to MR since 1967, I must say it is not what it used to be. That is both good and bad. A good issue of RMC is often much better than the best issues of MR these days, but that does not mean MR is that bad, but rather RMC is that good!

MR has become the "fluff" mag of our hobby, lots of glitz, sometimes substance, sometimes not. My other hobby/profession is old houses. In that business if you just want to look at old houses you read "This Old House", if you really want to work on one you read "The Old house Journal". Thats how MR is today, mostly fluff like an over rated PBS show.

And MR has its own "agenda" which I feel is bad for a mag that used to be the mainstream inclusive mag of our hobby. RMC fills that role better now.

When you pick up the "Narrow Gauge and Short Line Gazette" you should expect an agenda, the title tells you that. Even "Mainline Modeler" tells you what you where in for. But MR has become loaded with what they want to "push" not what is actually happening in the hobby on a broad scale. Just ask anyone who has wrote an article for MR and not reconized it when it was pubished. They have their own version or "politically correct".

Even with its faults, I still get it and read it. You never know when you will need/want the wealth of info saved in print.

Sheldon

ebtnut

I generally concur with Sheldon's comments.  I've been a subscriber since 1963 (!).  MR has changed in part because the hobby has changed, as has the target audience and the editorial worldview.  To say they are in thrall to their advertisers may not be literally true, but there does seen to be a general bias in that direction.  What I miss are the construction articles-how to build a J&L tank car, or whatever.  There were always some tips and tricks to be gleaned from them, even if you weren't going to build that particular model.  I think RMC has stayed a bit closer to the roots, mostly becuase Hal is still in charge, and Schamburg has been around ever since Koester moved on to Kalmbach. 

The demographics of the hobby are changing, which is why us old-timers tend to grouse.  This used to be a craftsman's hobby, where you built most of your models from scratch or craftsman-style kits.  Today, with modern diesels, high-cubes and TTX, DCC and loads to good, RTR equipment, the accent has moved to getting the trains running, and/or operations.  If you are building a pike, there's a big selection of pre-built structures, EZTrack, and so on to get things looking pretty good in a relatively short time.  I don't gain-say any of this--anything that helps keep the hobby alive and growing ultimately benefits all of us. 

epeorus

Thanks for the insights so far.  I AM a crusty oldster, having subscribed to MR since 1961 (and having almost every issue since 1942) and I will continue to subscribe until the day I die but, that said, I must admit there is more picture and less text and more "here's what you can do with RTR" and less "here's how to build something"

Jim

The Jemez & Rio Grande, an On30 branch of the Chili Lines.

r.cprmier

Without trying to toot my own horn, I have taken a step beyond the "shake the box" and RTR, have been in this hobby long enough to know what I want and not want, and am accomplished enough to justify a complaint or two about the content of MR. 
I entered this hobby seriously in 1966, didn't start building anything until 67, and then seriously stepped in.  At that time, MR was a source of cumulative knowledge, spearheaded by the likes of late Linn Westcott, Bill Anderson, Gordon Odegard, and a very young Russ Larson.  The days of articles by E.L. Moore, Al Armitage, Whit Towers, er al have likewise passed into the never-never land, so what we have is what is at hand. 
As a modeller, I obtain a lot of information from both rag publications and the computer; as far as the hobby itself goes, there is a long way to go before it too, passes into the land of past.  I suppose it might be unfair to castigate the publication for the dearth of "good" information; the management does have other issues to contend with-such as making money in an increasingly compatitive world.  On the other hand, a continuum of worthwhile "how to" articles certainly wouldn't hurt one farthing.
You know, it seems odd writing this, as I find myself wandering down memory lane; but I suppose thems' the facts of life, and my time also will come to fade out.  The real secret of this hobby is the happiness and satisfaction one might find at different levels of it, and certainly no level is any better in that way, than the other. 
So Model Railroader will (hopefully) continue to be a source of information, and perhaps MRC, et al, are better publications-it is, ater all, all in the eye...

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

SteamGene

I think that MR has decided, at least for now, that it wants to appeal to the newer member of the hobby.  For instance, how many times in the last few years have they gone over scale and gauge?  OTOH, the current issue has an article on building turnouts - hardly a project for a newcomer.   If I have one main gripe with MR is its Writers' Rules, which are so strict that it seems that every article is written by the same author.  Note that the above sentence would not be allowed in MR!   :D
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

PhilipCal

I've been an MR subscriber for over 10 years, and enjoy each issue. Certainly, some are better than others, but in general I enjoy what seems to be genuine friendliness on the part of the staff and regular contributors.I plan to renew my subscription for years to come.

RAM

I am with Jim.  I AM also a crusty oldster, having subscribed to MR since 1948.  I have two years of either lote 30s or early 40s.  I also have save all of the copies.  In the early days in was model railroading.  To day I think it should be called railroad models.  I h ave some very old MRC,s.  When it started out it was not much.  It took in train, planes, cars and boats.  Then it went all model railroad.  But than it was mainly an eastern magazine.  what I an beginning to wonder is this, I have 95% or more of all the railroad related mag.   At 75 what am i going to ddo with them.  I guess when I die they will go in the trash.

r.cprmier

At 75 what am i going to ddo with them.  I guess when I die they will go in the trash.

Ram;
Two things come to mind:
Either will then to a library(ies), club, or have your survivors set up an auction at one of the shows, and donate the proceeds to your favourite charity.

Frankly, I don't know why you are worried about kicking the bucket.  I never heard of anytone coming back complaining.

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

ebtnut

What to do with old RR mags?  One other thing is to contact the NMRA Library in Chatanooga.  In the past they have been very happy to get back copies of magazines.  See what they may be interested in.

GlennW

Making Donations

The Library appreciates all donations of books, periodicals, and railroad memorabilia. Due to space constraints, we request that donations of Model Railroader, Railroad Model Craftsman, Trains and NMRA Bulletin, would include issues only prior to 1950 or after 1990. Donations may be sent "Library Rate" through the postal service.

The NMRA, and thus the Library, is qualified as a charitable organization under 170(c) and 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.  You may be able to deduct the value of your donation from your federal income tax.  The NMRA cannot establish the value of your donation. Please see the NMRA homepage for links on assessing the value of your collection.

Our policy on donations is to accept them without restriction, to be used and/or sold as best suited for the Library. The funds received from the sale of surplus Library materials are used to purchase other materials or otherwise support the development of the Library’s collection. Original materials donated, such as photographs, may also be reproduced in future publications, with proper credit attributed. If you do not agree with this policy, please contact the Library.

Other alternatives for donating your collection include local model railroad clubs, Boy Scout councils, libraries, and retirement communities. If you wish to sell your model- or prototype-related railroad items, we suggest you try posting notices in local club, division, or region publications. Also, you may try classified ads in national publications, such as ScaleRails, Model Railroader, Railroad Model Craftsman, or list them with online auction sites like eBay.

From the NMRA. looks like most of your magazines may go to the local library or Ebay. They must have too many 1950-1990 to have any value.