Bachmann wheel sets do not fit Bachmann box cars?

Started by austrian, October 09, 2015, 01:42:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbrock27

The bottom line is certain wheel-sets are known to work well in certain manufactures trucks while others do not.  An Internet search will yield information on this.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

Agreed, when the truck and wheels are from different manufacturers. In this case both are Bachmann, one a wheelset from a Silver series freight car, the other wheelsets sold seperately. Being from the same manufacturer, you'd expect them to be interchangeable. But they're not without some fiddling, I expect the reason is the inch/metric issue I mentioned earlier.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jbrock27

I would not consider the 1mm difference His Honor the Yardmaster pointed to in the Bachmann wheel sets to be "significant".  I can't imagine Bachmann incurring the cost of manufacturing different trucks and different wheel sets to be sold in different parts of the globe.  Non standardization leads to added costs, which in turn, cuts into profits.  Makes no sense, to me anyway, to have one Chinese factory making wheel sets and trucks to different specs bc those ones are being sold in Europe while the Chinese factory next to it, is making wheel sets and trucks to different specs bc those are being sold in N. America.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

Quote from: Len on October 11, 2015, 08:48:50 AM
...the same problem that's plagued NASA forever...in the case of NASA, for a Mars bound satellite to make a crater instead of a soft landing.

Len

Len, richardl/richg/lexxon should be able to address this.  He worked for NASA, don'tcha know.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

So did I. I was at the Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, MD for a while after I retired from the Air Force.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Bucksco

This discussion has pretty much run its course. The wheel sets fit and can be dressed a bit if the user feels it is necessary.