News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Pancake motor

Started by PHILFLYER, November 09, 2015, 04:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Len

jbrock - I may not have been completely clear, these are not people looking to get locos they already own repaired. They are people who's kids insisted on coming into the store to look, even if there was no way their parents could afford anything on the shelves and still feed the kids. So during the off season, I would refurbish old pancake motor locos. Then I would make it known to folks I know, who would spread the word in the right places, they were available during the Christmas season.

For a variaty of reasons, I ride the bus a lot. In fact, I'm something of a transit advocate. So I meet a lot of the folks who fall into that small percentage of people that don't have a computer. Many of them have cell phones, obtained through a local program to help them find and keep a job, but not computers.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jbrock27

No worries Len, you were clear enough that I understand the good you were/are doing :) 

But to me, that is a completely separate matter, than the question at hand here.
Keep Calm and Carry On

electrical whiz kid

I probably should have passed on this one.  In the words of Sir Edmund Hillary when asked why he climbed Mt. Everest, he remarked:  "Because it is there".  That I do anything in this hobby-or in my life, for that matter-is because it makes me happy.  John Allen was once remarked upon by Linn Westcott by "His heart was his own".  John did things in this hobby, largely because he wanted to; those things made him happy, dinosaurs in forests, etc.;.  Same here, I guess. 

I am putting in a new wood stove in the office (basement) and had to take down a set of shelving.  Doing this required me to remove their contents.  It was like walking down memory lane.  I compare the stuff up top I had forgotten about with what I do now (which isn't all that remarkable) and I am happy-for my very own reasons.  Maybe if someone wants to tackle an older locomotive by replacing the pancake motor with a can, it will make them happy; and that is all that matters.

Rich C.

PHILFLYER

Thank you for the link. I'll do the research You suggest.
ALO

jbrock27

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on November 10, 2015, 07:22:16 PM
...if someone wants to tackle an older locomotive by replacing the pancake motor with a can, it will make them happy; and that is all that matters.

Rich C.

Well that is the rub now, init?  That is all great, hearts and flowers, pie in the sky stuff, but that is not as simple as "just do what makes you happy" bc 1) you have to have the ability, skill, time and $$ to implement that and if you don't find someone who will do it for you, which may come at a cost unless you come across a St. Len but more importantly 2) (and I think you missed this part already Rich) it is not gonna be as simple as you describe and just "droppin in" a can motor and callin it a happy day ;)
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

My pleasure FLYER, you're welcome.  I wish you luck with this.  Please keep us informed of your progress and how it all shakes out :)
Keep Calm and Carry On

WoundedBear

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on November 10, 2015, 07:22:16 PM
I probably should have passed on this one.  In the words of Sir Edmund Hillary when asked why he climbed Mt. Everest, he remarked:  "Because it is there". 
Rich C.

Uhhh.....little history lesson needed here. It was George Mallory that said that line....not Hillary.

Sid

Len

Quote from: jbrock27 on November 10, 2015, 04:42:57 PM
No worries Len, you were clear enough that I understand the good you were/are doing :)  

But to me, that is a completely separate matter, than the question at hand here.

I did get a bit off track there. The points I was trying to make are:

A. It's not a simple job to convert a pancake motor chassis to a modern can motor. You pretty much have to find a modern chassis the shell you've got will fit on too.

B. It is possible to refurbish a pancake motor so it gives reliable service for many years. (Tip: With only four diven wheels, add at least half again the NMRA recommended weight if you'll be pulling more than two or three passenger cars.)

Len

P.S. I'm not anywhere close to being a saint. Like Rich C. said, I do what I do because I feel like it. Not to score "points" with anyone.
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

electrical whiz kid

Sid;
Are you sure?  All of my life, I had heard the name "Edmund Hillary" attached to that feat.  Whoever did it, fine; whoever said it, more finer.  So I stand corrected.  Now can I make my drink?  A brand new bottle of bourbon....
I had sent you e-mails off this site; are you receiving them?

RIch C.

electrical whiz kid

Jim;
This is a hobby-ONLY a hobby.  If something in this hobby will give someone satisfaction , then I say go for it.  If someone wants to spend money, time and effort on something others may consider foolish, well, that is their business.  To hell with logic!  If logic supersedes desire, etc.; then 95% of the love affairs out there wouldn't be...
I have never subscribed to regimentation in a hobby.  You can acquire a vast amount of knowledge, experience, etc.; in-for example-trying to replace a pancake motor etc etc etc ...; BUT the most important thing is self-satisfaction. 
Too many people in this world believe that you have to have a reason, be qualified, or some other horse-hockey to initiate a project in a pass-time.  Simply put; you don't.

Rich C.

jbrock27

Quote from: Len on November 11, 2015, 04:28:07 AM
I'm not anywhere close to being a saint.

Don't be so modest Len. ;)

I do what I do because I feel like it. Not to score "points" with anyone.

Again, never implied or said that is why you do what you do or have done.  Said the opposite frankly.

It's not a simple job to convert a pancake motor chassis to a modern can motor.

Thank you for reinforcing some of my points.  I think most of us, get that.  I think Rich is the only one who needs some help understanding that.

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on November 11, 2015, 07:28:40 AM
A brand new bottle of bourbon....

RIch C.

I hope the hobby is not causing you to drink...

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on November 11, 2015, 07:28:40 AM
Sid; I had sent you e-mails off this site; are you receiving them?

RIch C.

I could wonder and ask you the same thing as many of my e-mails to you go unresponded.

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on November 11, 2015, 07:48:41 AM
This is a hobby-ONLY a hobby.

Rich C.

It sure is, but there is possible and not possible as well as sensible and non sensible, simply put.
Keep Calm and Carry On

electrical whiz kid

Bucksco

This thread is heading down a dead end road....

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On