EnterTRAINment Junction in West Chester, OH

Started by crb, September 16, 2015, 09:00:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crb

Hello train friends! :)

Wondering if any of you have ever visited EnterTrainment Junction in West Chester, OH?  Would it be a worthwhile trip for someone building their first railroad garden? 
I understand that they also sell trains and accessories, does anyone know if they have a large selection of G scale items?

Thanks in advance to anyone with knowledge.  :)

CRB
Chris :)
Train newbie, faerie garden oldie

Loco Bill Canelos

CRB,

It is a beautifully done layout and highly detailed, but it is an indoor railroad.   I can't remember what they sell, but I thought the prices were a little high.   

I recommend RLD Hobbies mail order.  Robbie is super helpful and has low discount prices.  Robbie is a one man operation and you get great personal service. 

Trainworld is another good mailorder source.

I am sure there are others, and many will have ad in Garden Railways magazine.

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

crb

Thanks for the input, Bill!  I have been ordering things online, but thought it might be nice to see something up close and personal that was already completed, just to get some ideas.  I am such a novice, that I have been drinking in everything that I can online and I ordered a book by Kevin Strong, but I want to see and touch things.....LOL

Have also considered a trip to Taltree Arboretum in Valpairaso, IN....to see their railroad garden, but it is 3.5 hours away and I haven't found a day that I have that many hours free to just travel....(would rather play in the dirt......LOL)

I have been a faerie gardener for several years now and my railroad garden isn't likely to be a "typical" one.  I might get kicked off of this forum, but my railroad will basically be adding a fun element to my faerie playland.  I have designated a spot on my yard for it, have torn out the exisiting landscape plants and added a small pond.  Am waiting for more track pieces to arrive so I can begin to lay out my track.
I'm sure I sound like a nut case.......

Anyhoo. thanks for the help!  :)

CRB

Loco Bill Canelos

CRB,

Not at all, I have seen many themed garden railroads, with many in the whimsical side of things.   One I just saw is totally grandchild related with dragons, fairy's, Disney and circus cars, even Minions crewing the caboose and Batman as the engineer!!!.  Very interesting and innovative to be sure.

The most important thing is to have fun with your trains, I would also definitely try to see if there is a club in your area.

You will never be thrown off this site, this is the friendliest forum site of all.  I applaud Bachmann Trains for keeping things civil and friendly and they have the best Code of Conduct of any Model railroad Forum for Large Scale trains.

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

crb

Good to know!  I am so looking forward to getting things rolling!  :)

Mark Oles

Hello CRB,

I've seen EJ on Tracks Ahead and that seems like an amazing large scale model train display.  Certainly, you will find a lot of inspiration there. You might also want to check out the more recently published Garden Railway Basics by Kevin Strong (who also posts on here from time to time). 
http://www.amazon.com/Garden-Railway-Basics-Books/dp/0890248354

What I have found is that what works perfectly for one railroader is the completely wrong thing for another.  It really is a highly personalized hobby with the only true common denominator being the desire to play with bigger trains. Stealing the line from Hershey's Reese's Peanut Butter Cups advertisement, there's no wrong way to do G scale.

As for purchasing trains from a brick and mortar: You might find pricing a little bit better on line, but you also should get something for your time when you buy at a shop.  Specifically, service and the ability to inspect the equipment prior to purchase for any broken parts, etc..  Also, these trains are large and shipping costs (and potential damage from shipping) need to be factored in.  G Scale Junction is another shop that is a brick and mortar with an online presence.  They're in Ohio somewhere. 

You should also try and get to the East Coast Large Scale Train SHow (ECLSTS) in York, PA.  That's a g-scale only show and has been a great place to meet up with other large scalers and find good deals.

crb

veetwelve

Hi CRB,

I just got back from Taltree Arboretum & Gardens near Valpariaso, and that would certainly be worth the trip!  Their outdoor layout is large, but surrounded by a walkway so you can see everything close-up.  It's built into sections that include vignettes of different locations in America on a progressive timeline, showing the impact the railroad had on that particular point in American history.  Pretty impressive!  I took so many pictures, my camera's memory card ran out of memory near the end.  Plan to spend a couple of hours there... you'll love it!

All the best,
Jay

Old John

A couple of years ago, there was a Pediatrician on YouTube that had about a 1/2 acre garden railroad that was all different themes, Fairies (Tinkerbell), lost in space, wild west, dragons & ghosts, and Fantasy Land.  He would have children over from the hospitals and let them run trains.  You might still find it on YouTube for some ideas.

on30gn15

Quote from: crb on September 16, 2015, 10:03:24 AM
I have been a faerie gardener for several years now and my railroad garden isn't likely to be a "typical" one.  I might get kicked off of this forum, but my railroad will basically be adding a fun element to my faerie playland.
It's gonna take a lot more than that to cause the effect!  ;D Sounds like a cool idea.
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

crb

I have been wanting to go to Taltree Arboretum!  Sounds like it is definitely worth the trip!  Thanks so much for all of the input!  I will definitely check youtube for the pediatrician's garden!

adir Tom

Most of us have some theme to our trains. It may be logging or a specific era. I have a friend who has a fairy theme to her train. She has a ball going to graden centers looking for fairy themed ornaments and buildings. Another has a Japanese grden to which she has added a train. She had customed bpainted cars with Japanese writing on them. Pagoda and gold fish pond. Trains are a hobby. Hobbies are to be fun and creative. go for it. Local clubs and internet forums will assist. GARDEN RAILWAYS MAG. has two writers each month who articles are dedicated to the gardening aspect of which most are theme oriented. Love Nancies articles!

doug c

Hope to see this facility sometime in the future :)

2hrs ?!!  
... i think like the Chicago museum  (sidetrip after MWLSTS)  I'll probably set aside at least 3 hrs.  

imho  ;D
"G-Gauge may not RULE, But it GROWS on Ya !! "     djc'99