News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

RS3 value sound

Started by LVRR, October 14, 2015, 01:38:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LVRR

Hi.  I have an RS3 with factory value sound that I need some advice on. I use a Digitrax Zephyr for my control station.

The unit has not been run in 7 or 8 months. It now seems to be stuck in the "quiet mode" according to what I read in the Bachmann/soundtraxx web pages. The sound works fine when forward or reverse is selected and the throttle set at 15 or above. Moving to brake or setting the throttle to zero causes the sound to slowly shut off.

I have programmed factory reset using both CV8-8 and CV30-2 and received the blinking lights but no sound as per the instruction manual. I tried both direct and ops programming modes. According to the manual the problem should be solved by setting CV113 to zero, which turns off the quiet mode. This didn't help.

I hope someone has worked through this before and can offer some advice. Thanks.

Steve

bapguy

When you re set the decoder, did you cycle the power off then on to the track? Did the headlights flash around 16 times? If the reset was successful, the loco should only respond to address 03. If it doesn't respond to address 03, the reset did not take. With all the locos off the track, put on the RS3 program address to 0000. Reprogram address to road number and see if this works.  Joe

Hunt

An aside –
CV 113 Quiet Mode Timeout Period feature is not supported in the Sound Value decoder factory installed in the Bachmann HO ALCO RS-3.

LVRR

Thanks for the info. I followed all instructions ( including the power off/on) for reset and the result is the 6 second delay for flashing lights but there is no sound. I tried the 0000 setting, that solved the sound issue but the loco won't run.

Setting the decoder ID works but then the sound does the following. In F/R the sound does not come on until the throttle is at 15 or higher. I can lower the throttle to .8 and the sound continues to work, lower than that and it stops instantly. If I change direction the sound stops and I need to set the throttle at 15 or higher for sound. Setting the throttle to brake causes the sound to stop instantly.

While running in either F/R and the throttle is reduced to zero the sound quits in about 12 seconds, almost sounds like a loco shutdown. Just for info , my other sound locos work fine. Thanks again.

Steve

bapguy

After programming address 0000 did you program it to the loco road number? If so what is the road number? Try CV2=10. This is the starting voltage. To low and you crank up the throttle to get the loco moving. To high and the loco takes off like a rocket.  In CV29 change the value to turn off DC or analog operation. Digitrax has a CV29 table in their decoder manual.  See attached link for CV29 values.  Joe

http://tonystrains.com/cv29-look-up-table/

Hunt

LVRR,

Notice for the Bachmann HO ALCO RS-3 the default value for CV 29 is 22. Understand what that means before you start making changes directly to CV 29.

LVRR

In a post dated around Sept 02 this year a person was having about the problem as me, after going through the programming steps you suggested maybe a broken or loose wire. And the problem was a loose wire. I'll try the CV 02value 10 , I'm not sure about the CV 29 settings, so I may skip that and get out my framing hammer lineman's pliers and remove the shell. Your help is really appreciated.

Steve

bapguy

The CV29 table is easy to use. Just figure out what you want:14 speed steps, 28/128 speed steps,2 or 4 digit address. forward or reverse direction of travel, speed table on or off, analog(DC) on or off.   Joe

LVRR

Hi Joe; Thanks for the response. I've changed CV29 values on my Digitrax decoders but have documentation provided by Digitrax which made it easier.  I wont bother you anymore with my questions since the RS3 is going up on the shelf. 

Steve

bapguy

Did you ever run this loco in a consist? If so CV19 needs to be zero I believe. Try programming the address to 0, do CV30=2, cycle the power, program the loco to the road number if it's a 4 digit address: 128 or above on the Digitrax system. Do you have only have the Zypher? Or do you have another throttle you use? Try dispatching the loco. Seems too bad to put the loco up on the shelf.  JOe

bapguy

LVRR  Steve I have a newer MRC decoder for the Atlas RS3 that I will send to you if you want it. It should fit the Bachmann unit. I no longer use it as I have converted the loco to an RS3M. Contact me off line (personal e mail) if interested.   Joe

jward

one issue that nobody has mentioned is that the zephyr requires you to use a 1000 ohm resistor across the rails of the programming track to reprogram Bachmann decoders. try this and see if you can program your locomotive.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Hunt

Quote from: jward on October 20, 2015, 09:28:48 AM
one issue that nobody has mentioned is that the zephyr requires you to use a 1000 ohm resistor across the rails of the programming track to reprogram Bachmann decoders. try this and see if you can program your locomotive.

It has not been mentioned for a good reason, it is not applicable.

A 1000 Ohm, ¼ Watt resistor across the programming track is required for CV read and programming  a non-sound Bachmann(Lenz based) decoder used with a Digitrax Zephyr(DCS50) or Zephyr Xtra(DCS51).

The resistor is of no aid with programming any of the decoders made for Bachmann by SoundTraxx, which includes the Sound Value.  Digitrax suggests programming using Blast Mode Programming on the Mainline when using Digitrax Zephyr Xtra (DCS51) or Zephyr (DCS50) systems.

Len

Any of several 'Programming Boosters' can be used with the Zephyr and a programming track instead of "Blast Mode"on the main. I get real paranoid about programmng on the main.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Hunt

An aside -

The Digitrax Blast Mode Programming on the Mainline is not Operations (OPS) Mode programming also known as Programming on the Main.

Digitrax Blast Mode is a Service Mode Programming type procedure and as such will program all decoders on the track. 

Digitrax Blast Mode Programming instructions includes the following, "Blast Mode Programming will program EVERYTHING sitting on the main line track so, you MUST remove everything from the track that you are not programming or use an isolated piece of track connected to Rail A & B."