News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

RS3 value sound

Started by LVRR, October 14, 2015, 01:38:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Len

Ummm...Let me rephrase that to be clearer. After what happened at the club when someone didn't think about what they were doing before reprogramming their, and everyone elses, loco, I'm paranoid about using ANY programming mode on the mainline. Whether it's Blast Mode, Ops Mode, or whatever mode, when I program a loco or lashup, it's sitting on an isolated programming track 100% of the time.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

LVRR

Hello all::: MY Bachmann RS3 with value sound is fixed. I want to thank everyone who responded with advice and understanding.

1. I tried the loco on an analog track and the sound was fine.
2. I hooked up my old Bachmann EZ-Command system and the sound worked as advertised.
3. I engaged my brain with a thought. Maybe the problem was my Digitrax Zephyr settings.
4. Had to restart the old brain. Got out the Zephyr manual.
5. Went into the option switch setup and reset the unit to factory. It worked.

I've been rebuilding my 22 + year old layout and added a town business district with a street level line going through it. The RS3 looks and sounds great idling through the town.

Again folks, I really appreciate all your help.

Steve

Hunt

Steve,
Thanks for the update. A factory Zephyr unit reset was on my list for you to try.

BTW - Had you at anytime made  changes to any of the  Zephyr Option Switches before you programmed OpSw 39 to "c" (closed) to reset the unit to the original factory settings?

austrian

Quote from: jward on October 20, 2015, 09:28:48 AM
one issue that nobody has mentioned is that the zephyr requires you to use a 1000 ohm resistor across the rails of the programming track to reprogram Bachmann decoders. try this and see if you can program your locomotive.

I use a Digitrax Zephyr DCS51 without a resistor across the rails of the programming track and it works fine to program my Bachmann sound value locos. I use paged mode and it works fine with the sound value mogul, F7, RS3, GP7, S2
I usually do not use programming on the main (OPS) but just had a try and it too works without any additional devices.

Thomas

bapguy

Glad everything worked out. As a funny thing happened: I have a Digitrax system. Address 01 to 127 is a 2 digit address. 128 up is 4 digit. I tried to enter address 114 as a 4 digit address. Took me 3 times to realize what I was doing wrong.  Joe

Hunt

Quote from: austrian on October 22, 2015, 12:24:19 AM
Quote from: jward on October 20, 2015, 09:28:48 AM
one issue that nobody has mentioned is that the zephyr requires you to use a 1000 ohm resistor across the rails of the programming track to reprogram Bachmann decoders. try this and see if you can program your locomotive.

I use a Digitrax Zephyr DCS51 without a resistor across the rails of the programming track and it works fine to program my Bachmann sound value locos. I use paged mode and it works fine with the sound value mogul, F7, RS3, GP7, S2
I usually do not use programming on the main (OPS) but just had a try and it too works without any additional devices.

Thomas

Thomas, Best if you start using Direct mode.

For many years, Paged  mode was Digitrax preferred programming method when using the  programming track. Digitrax changed their preferred method for programming in late 2012 to Direct mode.

Ref the current Zephyr Xtra, DCS51 manual , page 28.