News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

breakin

Started by satch7749, October 16, 2015, 05:46:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

satch7749

I just ordered a new bachmann 484 Berkshire, and I wanted to know if there is a recamended breakin for it.

jbrock27

Run it fast, run it slow.  Vary it up.  Have a good time and have fun :)

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/N821X-IS001.PDF

I can't imagine you getting this brand new and it not being over-lubed.
Keep Calm and Carry On

ACY

For clarity a 2-8-4 is a Berkshire while a 4-8-4 goes by the name Northern among others depending on railroad.

satch7749

My bad I ment to post 2-8- 4

jbsmith

basically what jbrock posted already.

If you got the room a figure 8 track is good idea as well

K487

satch7749

A heads-up for you here -

Those HO Bachmann Berkshires are, in my opinion, beautiful steam locomotive models and operate very well (as info I run them on DC, not DCC), and I have more than one.

However, on some of Bachmann's premier HO steamers you might come across a peculiar little problem.  I've had this problem on more than one engine, but the fix is EASY.

If you turn the engine upside down you'll see a "plate" (plastic) with about 5 or so screws in it.  This plate holds in the drive wheels and keeps them from falling out when the loco is upright. In my experience with the nice Bachmann steamers, every 3rd or 4th loco won't run quite right.  Why?  One (or more) of the screws is too tight thereby pinching one or more drive axle - so it won't turn freely.  The fix is to loosen one or more screws about 1/8 to 1/4 turn.

And to check this problem from the get-go when you receive the loco, turn the engine upside-down and just push each driver back a forth with your thumb and finger. If they move freely no problem.  If you feel resistance on an axle, do the fix mentioned in the paragraph above.

As info the Berkshire's weight is strongly biased toward the rear.  It will run okay as-is but I and a lot of other modelers add weight (generally 2 to 4 ounces, whatever you can get inside) in the boiler shell starting at the front two drivers and forward.  Helps on overall traction.

K487